PDA

View Full Version : Crabwatch

hainsofast
13-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Mods delete if not allowed.

Don't know if you guys have seen the page, but CRABWATCH QLD is doing some great work filming and shaming people who take undersize crab, great page and the latest video is another cracker, two blokes caught checking crabmans personal pots, then taking undersized males and female crabs, a great watch.

https://www.facebook.com/crabwatch/videos/1660576360873607/

Sheik
14-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Wow, pretty amazing stuff. Quite incredible really.

PROS
14-12-2015, 09:41 PM
I want to see the 2nd episode releasing the crabs, good on him to put the pressure on.
These guys are driving $120k car and have to steal the crabs.....

Let us know when the new video comes up mate.

Max

tunaticer
15-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Been following this twit for over a year.......he needs to watch his mouth a bit and be sure of what he is saying is true.
Pulled him up several times now over lies and mistruths.

hainsofast
16-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Been following this twit for over a year.......he needs to watch his mouth a bit and be sure of what he is saying is true.
Pulled him up several times now over lies and mistruths. didums, he is bringing attention to the problem of poaching and taking undersize fish, not sure why he is a twit for this

Benno123
16-12-2015, 02:39 PM
I think there is universal agreement that pulling / stealing someone else's pots is not on at all. I also think that we all could do a bit more to assist the authorities by bringing to their attention known (or suspected) incidents of wrongdoing with regards to fishing and or boating. The efforts of "Crab Watch" (first I've heard of it) were probably well intentioned but seems to have fallen well short of achieving anything other than a short You Tube video that no-one will remember two minutes after watching it. This is nothing short of trial by media - a very unsound practice. What he should have done was to record (video) the actual offending if he was able to, get the names of witnesses, video the suspects vehicle registration plate and the suspects themselves. Any conversation is likely to be deemed inadmissible in any criminal proceeding particularly if someone is ranting at them so that is probably a waste of time. I can hear the defence lawyer now, " your honour my clients were intimidated into making such comments and said so only to pacify the aggressor." Follow the who, what, when, where, why and how principles of thoughtful and logical information gathering and I'm sure we can make the jobs of the authorities much more effective and hopefully people will think twice about offending.

hainsofast
16-12-2015, 03:16 PM
you are actually wrong there, he has actually forced fisheries to increase patrols and is in regular contact with them now.

ifishcq1
16-12-2015, 03:45 PM
I think there is universal agreement that pulling / stealing someone else's pots is not on at all. I also think that we all could do a bit more to assist the authorities by bringing to their attention known (or suspected) incidents of wrongdoing with regards to fishing and or boating. The efforts of "Crab Watch" (first I've heard of it) were probably well intentioned but seems to have fallen well short of achieving anything other than a short You Tube video that no-one will remember two minutes after watching it. This is nothing short of trial by media - a very unsound practice. What he should have done was to record (video) the actual offending if he was able to, get the names of witnesses, video the suspects vehicle registration plate and the suspects themselves. Any conversation is likely to be deemed inadmissible in any criminal proceeding particularly if someone is ranting at them so that is probably a waste of time. I can hear the defence lawyer now, " your honour my clients were intimidated into making such comments and said so only to pacify the aggressor." Follow the who, what, when, where, why and how principles of thoughtful and logical information gathering and I'm sure we can make the jobs of the authorities much more effective and hopefully people will think twice about offending.

Benno, I think you missed the mark completely
he has been doing this for a quite a while and is definitely applying pressure on fisheries to act. He has nailed a few a second time but I haven't seen any third timers. His raising awareness is just as beneficial as catching the fockers in the act

you are actually wrong there, he has actually forced fisheries to increase patrols and is in regular contact with them now.
spot on

Benno123
16-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Hopefully they have educated him on evidence collection. Patrols are not as effective as convictions.

tunaticer
16-12-2015, 09:57 PM
didums, he is bringing attention to the problem of poaching and taking undersize fish, not sure why he is a twit for this
Go back through his history and see some of his antics and spruikings......he is an excitable twit that shoots his mouth off a lot.
His intentions might be worthwhile but his executions are lousy.
He may have raised the number of patrols by the inspectors in his area......probably at the cost of other areas......I doubt money has been found to increase the number of inspectors and patrols as a consequence of his media grabs.

He is the sort of guy that will pick the wrong fight and come off worse for wear.

Shark Poker
17-12-2015, 05:13 AM
[QUOTE=tunaticer; ...he is an excitable twit that shoots his mouth off a lot.
His intentions might be worthwhile but his executions are lousy.
[/QUOTE]

Nobody is perfect. But We would be better off if there were a dozen more blokes just like him.

As for Bennos comments, mate I agree but could you lead by example? Don't forget to post it on youtube.

ShaneC
17-12-2015, 07:29 AM
I agree with tunaticer. His motives might be noble enough but he will bark up the wrong tree and get stabbed by a group of ninjas the way he bangs on..... but, good luck to him

hainsofast
17-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Part 2 up now https://www.facebook.com/crabwatch/videos/1661934087404501/?theater

kingcray
18-12-2015, 07:36 AM
just thought I would add. I got pulled up by patrol boat at donnybrook on the weekend. They told me they just caught some guys with a stack of jenny and undersize muddies, using excessive unmarked pots and they were in the green zone ! any story about these pricks getting pinched is a good one.

ranga7
18-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Pulled him up several times now over lies and mistruths.
You think he is a twit but you followed him for over a year, i find that funny.

tunaticer
19-12-2015, 07:23 AM

Yeah is is funny.
Gave him plenty of time to refine his act.
Stopped following him about May.
Started again in September to see what this season would bring.
He hasn't learned much.
Will monitor him a bit longer then drop him again.

Feral
19-12-2015, 08:48 AM

Like watching the antics of the dimwit fringe politicians?.

You know your watching a slow trainwreck, but you just cant help watching to see how they outdo themselves next time! ;D

kingcray
19-12-2015, 05:25 PM

bit like the whole NSW origin team.. but some keep following them also. ;D

CHEE-FEE
11-01-2016, 11:15 AM
These people are all the same(the poachers/sharecroppers I mean), regardless if it's fish or crabs, crab pots or lines, amateur or Professional. They have absolutely no regard whatsoever for laws, let alone accepted sustainable practices. As soon as they are either fronted or caught, first it's the lies and denial; "No no not me not us we have nothing we do nothing wrong." Then, the throw-off and blame everybody else; incidentally, nice work to throw off and try and dump the other people(presumably his mates) in it to save his own neck. When all else fails, and fortunately for everyone we didn't get to this, as a last resort, they will usually trot out the old chestnut, "I no speak-a-de-English." Then it's "You do this because you're racist!" If it ever does go to Court, because they play the race card, it's a slap on the wrist with a wet tram ticket. Fair dinkum, our Judiciary won't even send people to jail who kill others because it's everyone else's fault but the perpetrator; how can we expect them to do anything to a poor old fisherman who doesn't understand the rules, despite them often being signed in multiple languages. Maybe the rules should be explained in cash terms; I know these people have a VERY clear understanding of how cash works. Unfortunately, crab would have been off the menu at Po Wong Hok's local Chinese Chew & Spew that night. And, as for the car they were driving, it was exactly the same at the MBTBC where these people would roll up in their $90,000 4WD's towing their big flash $90,000 boats looking the goods with the cool looking kids, and the silicone-enhanced Princess wife; they were the ones who would knock off the $1 hose fittings from the hoses in the wash-down areas of nobody else could wash their boat or flush their motor. It's the same old story across the board: "I'm alright Jack, and to Hell with you!" It's just another reflection of the society we have become.

CHEE-FEE
11-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Oh and by the way, people like this fella always have their detractors. His methods may be somewhat "non-traditional", which may be viewed as contraversial, but he's doing something, which may force those in authority to actually do something, which many in such positions resist with great aplomb. I always find it quite interesting that, when someone actually does something pro-active, the nay-sayers all line up on the sidelines and lob their hand grenades with very little, if any, constructive input whatsoever. Anyway, if someone sticks a camera or camera-phone in front of someone famous at a major function or some such place and catches them with their pants down and/or drunk, disoriented, pissing themselves or groping someone else's wife, we lap it up and it's front page news. What's the difference?

tunaticer
11-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Anyway, if someone sticks a camera or camera-phone in front of someone famous at a major function or some such place and catches them with their pants down and/or drunk, disoriented, pissing themselves or groping someone else's wife, we lap it up and it's front page news. What's the difference?

The difference is this guy is trying to do the right thing but sacrifices his credibility with his comments and or his antics.....very slow to learn a good way of handling the situation.