PDA

View Full Version : What is the better brake actuator?

neil_stessco
07-12-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm upgrading the brakes on my boat trailer from cable operated to hydraulic electric breakaway. I'm looking at the Hydrastar 1200psi and the alko Q7. I have a Tekonsha P3 in the vehicle and both are compatible with it. Pros and cons on both? TIA.

PeterInSA
07-12-2015, 08:52 AM
I do not know your system above, but have a hydraulic/disk over ride brake system on my boat trailer, one weak link I think is the steel hydraulic lines that go rusty. I now would prefer the cable system.

neil_stessco
07-12-2015, 09:04 AM
I am going a braided stainless hose kit from huntsman products, no steel piping at all.

ozynorts
07-12-2015, 09:46 AM
If you already have the Tekonsha then I would stick with it. I have a P3 as well and I find it very good, especially as you have the manual brake lever as well.

neil_stessco
07-12-2015, 09:56 AM
I was referring to outside the cab. The trailer isn't legal with it's current cable brakes which is why I am upgrading to electric hydraulic. thanks.

brett62
07-12-2015, 10:43 AM
I did a fair amount of research when I was deciding on what brake system to install on my trailer. I ended up using alko Q7 with the P3. It is simple to install, has a built in break-away so no need to have another battery hooked up. I have it hooked up to S/S brakes with 12" rotas and she locks up if required. They don't have the same pressure but I don't see that being a problem as there is plenty of pressure to lock the wheels up as I have given it a work out. One thing I am doing is making a cover up over the Q7 to protect from sun as I am sure the plastic will fail over time as does most things sitting in the sun. I have heard that the seal sometimes leaks due to lack of use. The manual even says to run them up every couple of weeks to lubricate the seals. I made a plug up off my jump starter and run them up. I have it set up on a 4.3 ton trailer so have both axles braked.

I'm upgrading the brakes on my boat trailer from cable ed to hydraulic electric breakaway. I'm looking at the Hydrastar 1200psi and the alko Q7. I have a Tekonsha P3 in the vehicle and both are compatible with it. Pros and cons on both? TIA.

Chimo
07-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi Neil

As a contrast I upgraded my Tinka from cable to elec over hyrdraulic and went Hydrastar and also uped the carrying capacity on the registration with a letter / notification form from the guy who did the job for me. Now legal brake wise and also carrying capacity too.

Extra battery is no big issue and the metal unit that is the Hydrastar is robust and not UV affected.

PM if you want other info or names

Cheers
Chimo

neil_stessco
07-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Thanks Chimo I think that this is the way I will go.

terryc
07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I went with the Hydrastar approx 5 years ago, works well still looks brand new I've been very pleased, i purchased mine from Northside of brisbane cost at the time was around $900.

fisho64
07-12-2015, 07:11 PM
have a look at the Brake Commander, Australian made-needs no wiring in the vehicle at all.
Uses a capacitor rather than a battery for breakaway and a standard brake master cylinder, wireless controller, about $1300 for everything

captain rednut
07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Hydrastar and the P3 is the most reliable set up ive owned.

TruBlue
08-12-2015, 09:51 PM
I went through 2 Hydrastar HBA series actuators over a 3-4 yr period these units hate to sit and the boards fail
After upgrading my trailer from over riders cable system The first unit went after about 2 yrs. I had been using the trailer regular and then had some time off, when I went to use the boat the actuator didn't work Hydrastar didn't give a rat arse when I contacted them basically told me the board can fail And I should of had a cover on it (wtf) and it would be $600 for a new board to repair, when I decided to buy a new unit with warranty they asked if I could send my old unit to them for spares, I said no thanks
2nd new unit failed when I'd had my boat in a storage rack and sold the boat it failed. This unit had done no work at all, I told the purchaser that I only purchased the unit just over year ago and this guy I sold it to said Hydrastar didn't give a shit when he contacted
what shit service is that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PB
09-12-2015, 12:47 PM
IQ7 with the P3 is the best combo on the market. we have been fitting this system standard on our trailers for a while and not 1 issue.

snatchy
11-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Add a 3.5 year old Hydrastar 1600psi unit to the list of failures......
I will look into replacement circuit boards. It has a solenoid inside clicking (so the electrics are powered), but no motor runs to create pressure.

How long have those with the Alko units had them in service?

gofishin
12-12-2015, 12:01 AM
I have a Brakerite system (not sure if spelling is correct) that came with my yanky trailer. 7.5 yrs and still going strong, with no issues (touch wood/noggin with both hands...).

I remember Billy Corten writing up about all his boat & trailer gear selection when he was putting his 685 together and he chose this unit for his rig/Aussy trailer too if I recall correctly. Hope he has got the reliability that I have had. Don't see too many of them around though.
Cheers
Brendon

Gr0wler
13-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I installed a 1600 psi hydrastar setup on my trailer about 18months ago and I have to say I'm not impressed, (never had elec over hyd before but the delay from when you put your foot on the brake to when the trailer brakes actually start working takes some getting used to) I have had intermittent issues with it working then not working and seems to be the circuit board but when I contact them they just say to go through the test procedure in their trouble shooting guide and if that is ok then they almost hang up on me saying it's fine so your vehicle is the problem and not sending power to the unit even after I tell them It had been checked by two auto electricians. Terrible service on a product that is less than impressive.

neil_stessco
14-12-2015, 08:34 AM
I went a Titan brake actuator as I couldn't pass up the asking price. Thanks for your input guys.

Portacol
18-12-2015, 11:08 PM
I have had 2 Sensabrake trailers. Still have one. The seal under the fluid tank went on one and it was a resonably easy fix.

My latest trailer came with a Hydrastar.

Brake with the Sensabrake and if there is nothing there you know you have a problem. Brake with the Hydrastar and the delay makes me think ffffffffgoodness sakes they are not working and then they come on and work well. With over 4 tonnes behind me I would prefer to feel the brakes come on when I touch the pedal rather than touch the pedal and then think they are not working and use two feet to push the pedal through the firewall and have following traffic swerving off in all sort of directions.

Maybe I will become comfortable with the lack of initial feedback but I do start to brake earlier than I used to just to know that they are working.

I have had someone pull out in front of me, I must admit it is hard to see a white Range Rover and a white Kevlacat 2400 coming down the road . Sensabrake saved the day. It took a double dose of detergent to clean my undies and I'm sure the poor old bastard is still copping it from his missus.
In the same situation with the Hydra star, I would say old mate would have been pretty well whacked and his missus would have had a goodly headache.

When you disconnect the trailer the Sensabrake locks up and you have to press a button to let off the air pressure to move the trailer. With the Hydrastar if you disconnect on a hill then you can say bye bye to your trailer and your most favourite boat. Remember to pull the pin on the breakaway switch.

If I had my druthers, I druther have a Sensabrake.

tenzing
19-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I have had 2 Sensabrake trailers. Still have one. The seal under the fluid tank went on one and it was a resonably easy fix.

My latest trailer came with a Hydrastar.

Brake with the Sensabrake and if there is nothing there you know you have a problem. Brake with the Hydrastar and the delay makes me think ffffffffgoodness sakes they are not working and then they come on and work well. With over 4 tonnes behind me I would prefer to feel the brakes come on when I touch the pedal rather than touch the pedal and then think they are not working and use two feet to push the pedal through the firewall and have following traffic swerving off in all sort of directions.

Maybe I will become comfortable with the lack of initial feedback but I do start to brake earlier than I used to just to know that they are working.

I have had someone pull out in front of me, I must admit it is hard to see a white Range Rover and a white Kevlacat 2400 coming down the road . Sensabrake saved the day. It took a double dose of detergent to clean my undies and I'm sure the poor old bastard is still copping it from his missus.
In the same situation with the Hydra star, I would say old mate would have been pretty well whacked and his missus would have had a goodly headache.

When you disconnect the trailer the Sensabrake locks up and you have to press a button to let off the air pressure to move the trailer. With the Hydrastar if you disconnect on a hill then you can say bye bye to your trailer and your most favourite boat. Remember to pull the pin on the breakaway switch.

If I had my druthers, I druther have a Sensabrake.

If you pull the pin on the breakaway wont that just activate the pump till the tearaway battery dies?
What about chocking the wheel?
Cheers
Brendan

Portacol
19-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Yes, you are right Brendan on both counts. I'm a lazy bastard and I like it when I pull the plug on the Sensabrake that the brakes go on. I am having a lot of trouble chocking the trailer wheels on the Hydrastar trailer because the animal liberation person I put there behind the wheels will not remain in place and the trailer rolls away.
Cheers, Col.

tenzing
20-12-2015, 04:48 AM
Yes, you are right Brendan on both counts. I'm a lazy bastard and I like it when I pull the plug on the Sensabrake that the brakes go on. I am having a lot of trouble chocking the trailer wheels on the Hydrastar trailer because the animal liberation person I put there behind the wheels will not remain in place and the trailer rolls away.
Cheers, Col.
Yeah you cant get good help these days Col
Cheers