PDA

View Full Version : Electric winch

Snapper john
06-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi all Cruise Craft owners,

please tell me what brand anchor winch you have fitted? Does it fit in the anchor well and can you retrieve from 80m of water. Thanks in advance.

Cheers John

gofishin
07-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Lewmar, I think they are... might have to look at mine though, mental block ATM.

Yes they would pull from 80m, but very slow - up and down. Big draw from battery too. Drum winch would be better for that depth.
Cheers
Brendon

Snapper john
07-12-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks Brendon, I have a Lewmar at present but it won't pull the pick out of the bottom , once it is free it will pull the anchor through the water column to the boat.
Cheers John

gofishin
07-12-2015, 06:56 AM
All these types will have a clutch or mechanism to slip when needed, which may slip even in sand. Need to nudge motor in/out of idle and drive up to anchor while retrieving, then nudge fwd and drive slightly over anchor to free it, then winch. If stuck bad in mud etc may have to wrap the warp around a bollard to break free. If stuck in reef- big problem :)

scottar
07-12-2015, 07:42 AM
All anchor winches - even hydraulic commercial ones, benefit from motoring up on the anchor and using the vessel to break the anchor free. The load increase on the winch from not doing this is typically high and is not doing the gear any favours.