PDA

View Full Version : Haines V19R reverse chines?

marto78
06-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on what they were like with the reverse chines?

Shark Poker
06-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Do you mean the V19, the one before the V19R?

captain red beard
06-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Possibly. It is suppose to be a early '70's boat.

marto78
06-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Do you mean the V19, the one before the V19R?

No idea mate I posted this on behalf of captain redbeard who didnt have internet access at the time.

gofishin
06-12-2015, 10:27 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on what they were like with the reverse chines?Marto, I assume you are talking about the older V19 hulls with 'splayed out' chines - for want of a better word? (which were actually made from the same mould as the Bertram 19's. Haines used to make the B19's under licence).

Although the chines were slightly reverse from memory, they are not the size/width of many of today’s boats 'reverse chines', and like many boats of that era the chines stepped out/splayed out beyond the hull sides. This of course meant that the hull mould needed to be two-piece, as you had to split the mould before getting the hull out.

Look closely down the stem of the old hulls, and especially along the keel, and you will see the seam from the two-piece mould - if the gelcoat hasn't been sanded/painted etc.

These step-out chines later changed (amongst many other features) to flat sided chines to allow one-piece (cheaper) moulds and of course faster manufacture times hence cheaper boats (or more profit). Like many older boats, they were built heavy, and were very solid. Great ride & fun to drive - my mate has one!
cheers
Brendon

marto78
07-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks Brendon I think thats exactly what he wanted to hear.

Anyone recommendations on the what horse power motor is best suited to these hulls?

gofishin
08-12-2015, 10:08 PM
...Anyone recommendations on the what horse power motor is best suited to these hulls?I guess it depends a lot on how the boat has been set up/rebuilt/modified and the intended use/load etc.

A good mate with the old style hull stripped his bare and completely rebuilt it, including composite floor. It has an original style canopy and is set up for social boating in the bay etc (with removable rear lounge). Has a 140 white Zuke and it flies (40kn +). It is actually too light in the bow, and could do with 50kg + of weight under the bow, and especially tabs when there are 2 adults on the rear lounge.

Another mate in my fishing club has the newer version, with a 175 Zuke. His has a hard top, with lots of s/steel bling, and is set up for fishing, 3 or 4 blokes, big trips etc. His boat goes really well and he loves the combination.

Another V19 (old style I am pretty sure) is owned by a guy who uses it for business purposes on the Brissy river. The boat looks like it has had a real hard life, but is still going strong. Think he has a pile driving business or similar (for piers/jetties). This one has an F250 on it (has had 2 at least over the years), and he certainly uses the HP. He passed me one time and it seemed like I was doing 5kn and not 25 :).
Cheers
Brendon

Shark Poker
09-12-2015, 02:06 AM
I guess it depends a lot on how the boat has been set up/rebuilt/modified and the intended use/load etc.

A good mate with the old style hull stripped his bare and completely rebuilt it, including composite floor. It has an original style canopy and is set up for social boating in the bay etc (with removable rear lounge). Has a 140 white Zuke and it flies (40kn +). It is actually too light in the bow, and could do with 50kg + of weight under the bow, and especially tabs when there are 2 adults on the rear lounge.

Another mate in my fishing club has the newer version, with a 175 Zuke. His has a hard top, with lots of s/steel bling, and is set up for fishing, 3 or 4 blokes, big trips etc. His boat goes really well and he loves the combination.

Another V19 (old style I am pretty sure) is owned by a guy who uses it for business purposes on the Brissy river. The boat looks like it has had a real hard life, but is still going strong. Think he has a pile driving business or similar (for piers/jetties). This one has an F250 on it (has had 2 at least over the years), and he certainly uses the HP. He passed me one time and it seemed like I was doing 5kn and not 25 :).
Cheers
Brendon

Yes Brendon, that rig has a Yamaha 300hp on it these days. It needs it to tow their work barge up and down the river. That boat is actually a registered tug boat.
Don't feel bad about being passed by that rig. They also overtake jet skis and City Cats.
Will see if I can find a photo.
Cheers, Pauly

gofishin
09-12-2015, 05:55 AM
... that rig has a Yamaha 300hp on it these days... That boat is actually a registered tug boat...Damn, a 300 now Pauly!!! He must be the worlds fastest tug boat, that's for sure. :)
Cheers
Brendon

marto78
09-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Actually a mate of mine used to work for him many moons ago, they build pontoons down at tingalpa but I couldn't remeber if it was a 17 or 19 footer.

It used to spin the landscape supply guys out when they would drive the boat in and ask for a load of sand/gravel to be dumped in the back of the boat.

We borrowed it one weekend for a fishing trip out in the bay when it had a 250hp on the back it still is to this day the quickest trip I've ever had a across the bay.

captain red beard
11-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Thinking about buying a second hand 140 Suzuki. Has anyone got any figures on how this would perform on the reverse chine.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

robothefisho
11-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Thinking about buying a second hand 140 Suzuki. Has anyone got any figures on how this would perform on the reverse chine.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

About 34 knots top end and around 1.5km/litre. Be a waste of a good hull....