PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Rope/chain bunching up on Drum Anchor Winch

PeterInSA
23-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Need to have a SS Plate made up to mount a Stress Free Mini Me Half way down my Anchor well towards the rear. Mounting points will be both sides of the deck and the rear of the anchor well.

Looking at having the Drum a min of 30mm away from the rear of the anchor well/ deck. Is this sufficient if the anchor rope/chain does not wind on uniformly?

Thanks

Peter

Dignity
23-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Peter, the drum on a Midi (I know you are putting in a mini) has a 300 mm diameter or 150 mm radius so a 300 mm gap will be more than ample. Not sure why you wouldn't place your winch at the rear of the anchor well also you mention that you will be mounting your backing plate to the deck as well, not real sure of your set up but do remember that the most strain on your vessel will be from the bottom of the winch if it is inside the anchor well. I've just gone through the exercise of strengthening the bulkhead at the rear of the anchor well and glassing it into the hull for additional strength. It would pay you to talk to Stressfree as they are down your way and would be aware of the different configurations of various vessels.

Almost forgot, if the last roller (hopefully you are installing one) needs to be at least 250 away from the drum to avoid too much bunching otherwise you will need a hawse pipe to reduce this occurring although you will still get some.

swof63
23-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah but he said 30mm........

As long as your installation exceeds the gap from the drum to the uframe then the uframe will always be the limiting factor which is fixed.

Dignity
23-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Yeah but he said 30mm........

As long as your installation exceeds the gap from the drum to the uframe then the uframe will always be the limiting factor which is fixed.
Oops, missed that probaly read it as 300, 30 mm is too close.

Fed
24-11-2015, 05:26 AM
http://www.################.com.au/pdfs/mini-me-anchor-winch-2013.pdf
Looks like the U frame has only got a couple of mm clearance so 30mm should be heaps.

You can look it up.

PeterInSA
24-11-2015, 04:48 PM
With No experience in Anchor Winches, what is the U frame?

Thanks

Peter

odieman150
24-11-2015, 06:33 PM
My previous boat had a stressfree in the anchor well with almost no room around it and worked great no probs at all. I think bunching is associated with underpants.:):)

Dignity
24-11-2015, 07:15 PM
With No experience in Anchor Winches, what is the U frame?

Thanks

Peter

Peter, the U Frame is the frame the drum sits in, I think that if you look at the winch you will see how close the drum is to the frame so if it bunches and starts to press on the frame this will be when you get problems. I misunderstood your post and was referring to the distance between the winch and the roller on the deck, I believe Stressfree recommend a minimum of 250 mm to avoid the bunching. What sort of vessel is this going into.

PeterInSA
25-11-2015, 12:53 PM
At this stage do not intend to have a deck roller as the top the Anchor is 140mm off the deck and ditto the top of the drum, 300mm ( estimate) away from the end of the anchor..

Boat is a SA based Hull, a Sportscraft Diplomat 16ft 1/2 cab.

Peter

Dignity
25-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Ok, sounds like you won't have a problem with bunching.