PDA

View Full Version : yachts, man almost overboard & weed

seashawgal
19-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Just returned from a 4 day trip from Tin Can Bay to Garry's anchorage (nice place) in my 5.3 Whittley Impala (It's a long way). Put some crab pots in at Pelican Bay - absolutely full of long green slimy weed and a couple of sandies. An interesting interlude was pulling an old single man & his dog on a yacht off a sand bank in the great sandy straights. It really shoals in parts (beware). The old man seemed pretty out of it for some reason & it really worried me as he was falling off the side of his yacht & we had to climb onboard & help him up. I wonder how many single sailors who are virtually unseaworthy are out there & fall over board etc. Very sad.
The towing exercise was a new one for me, the old bloke tied the rope really short and we jacknifed into each other like an elastic band at one stage, It went "CRACK" & I thought that was the end of both of out boats but amazingly just a couple of scratches. It's all in a days boating.

koastal
19-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Good stuff - extended trip and helping the old fella

Gon Fishun
19-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Good onya Roz, but when your towing, your the boss and your calling the shots.

scottar
19-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Also remember that in an emergency situation, you are under no obligation to provide towage. You do have an obligation to save lives. Your average trailer boat is not set up to tow and you actually can risk damage or worse under certain circumstances.

TheRealAndy
19-11-2015, 11:11 PM
I am a yachtie. There is some really decent yachts out there at the moment really cheap. Yachts that would make excellent homes. Unfortunately a lot of people buy these boats have no idea about boating in any form.

If you are going to offer assistance to anyone, do it on your terms under your conditions. Dont risk your boat, or more importantly dont risk your life. As scottar said, you are under no obligation, worst case just pick the person up and dump them on the shore, not your problem.

seashawgal
20-11-2015, 09:30 AM
how much is really cheap, I looked in the window at the Tin Can Bay yacht sales & the catamarans were approx $3000,000 which I thought was a lot of money.

Chimo
20-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Here you are What about the one for $16 K plus a bit ?

http://yachthub.com/catlist/used/yachts-for-sale/sail-monohulls/36-40ft/17

seashawgal
20-11-2015, 01:37 PM
looks nice. I like cats because the room and shallow draft was perfect when 10 of us hired a 43ft perry two years ago in the whitsundays. What do u think of cats?

drpete
20-11-2015, 01:55 PM
LOVE cats. Used to own a 38ft sailing cat. Sailed her up to Lady Musgrave a few times just for diving and snorkelling for a couple of weeks at a time.
They are awesome. Easy to sail, flat and stable, spacious, fast, shallow draft so you can get in out of the swell, easy to beach if you need to for repairs or anything....
Strongly recommend them.
Peter

mal555
20-11-2015, 02:15 PM
I am a yachtie. There is some really decent yachts out there at the moment really cheap. Yachts that would make excellent homes. Unfortunately a lot of people buy these boats have no idea about boating in any form.

Just have to talk to a marina manager about the amount of cheap boats being used for a low cost accomodation around the country. Sometimes oil-gas workers going for a more cost effective option, but the more typical scenario is a middle aged man, divorced, often a substance abuser (booze, drugs or both) no idea about boats but seemed like a good idea at the time. As long as it floats, who cares!

Noelm
20-11-2015, 04:12 PM
The Swanson 36 in that link is a great boat, go anywhere in one of those!

Chimo
20-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes Noelm it is a nice rig but
1 draws too much water for the canal
2 fixed keel
3 mast won't fit under the bridges
4 no way will I sleep on a those covered cushions!

seashawgal
20-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Interesting comment about drugs on boats I saw the cops in their large inflatable going around anchored yachts off Tin Can Bay

JulianDeMarchi
21-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Just have to talk to a marina manager about the amount of cheap boats being used for a low cost accomodation around the country. Sometimes oil-gas workers going for a more cost effective option, but the more typical scenario is a middle aged man, divorced, often a substance abuser (booze, drugs or both) no idea about boats but seemed like a good idea at the time. As long as it floats, who cares!

Sounds like you've been to jacobs well before...

Noelm
21-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Yes Noelm it is a nice rig but
1 draws too much water for the canal
2 fixed keel
3 mast won't fit under the bridges
4 no way will I sleep on a those covered cushions!
Yep, all of those things are true, BUT, if I was considering a "proper" ocean passage, that would be my boat, long before any catamaran.... Cats are great for Island hopping around the Whitsundays, but that's where it ends.

Chimo
21-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Noelm

Yes and no

I guess it really depends what breed of cat your sailing.

Went from Airley Beach attempting to sail to the Gold Coast.on a Perry 43. Rough weather but the problem was trying to sail against a SE and it just wasn't possible as it was too rough and also 40 degree into the wind was very limiting. We ended up waitng at Refuge Bay off Mackay for 4 days till we gave up and had to fly back to work and left the boat to head south eventually.

On the other hand a 58 Grainger heading from Sydney to the Gold Coast was easier with a screecher which the Perry didn't have. Being able to sail close to 15 degrees off the wind it was much more better.

All in all the cats are much more comfortable with a lot more space so a lot more versatile.

Much easier to fit traveling when work is no longer an issue to fit into the weather.

Cheers
Chimo

stevej
21-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Also remember that in an emergency situation, you are under no obligation to provide towage. You do have an obligation to save lives. Your average trailer boat is not set up to tow and you actually can risk damage or worse under certain circumstances.

agree with this you can stand by and offer assictance as soona s you tow that boat you assume a legal obligation for anything that happens

scottar
21-11-2015, 06:32 PM
agree with this you can stand by and offer assictance as soona s you tow that boat you assume a legal obligation for anything that happens

Not sure on that - could be the case though. I thought there was some funny goings on in relation to who provides the tow line. Was always told not to offer a line but to wait to receive one from the vessel requiring assistance. There are some quirky old laws that go way back when it comes to maritime.