PDA

View Full Version : 5.2KC Black Marlins

Lovey80
08-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Just got to thinking. I have only ever seen one other than mine advertised. Anyone know how many they made before they scrapped that old hull mould?

i held out for ages looking for one because a number of people told me that the original hull rode better than the new design. Can anyone actually verify that as I haven't been in the 1900kc to compare?

Noelm
08-11-2015, 05:53 AM
The Black Marlin was just a model in the 5.2 range, like the Tournament, I think there was 4? A sportsman ? Black Marlin, Tournament, and just a standard model, but I could be wrong, all shared the same hull, but the level of fit out changed.

Flex
08-11-2015, 07:57 AM
I owned a black marlin for a while, reasonably rare boat to come across.

as to the old 5.2 riding better than a 1900 I can't quantify personally. But I can't see it being significant if at all different between the two.

i think it's more a financial thing as to why we don't see many 1900. If you are buying one of these new there's a fair chance you'd upgrade to the 2400.

also the newer 1900 has a slightly smaller cabin space I think compared to older 5.2.

rodneyk
08-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi all i was building all the tanks pods and stainless at the time of the release of the upgraded 1900 aka 5.2 KC from memory they added a strake to each hull and changed deck mould to upgrade to curved windscreen that info was told to me by Terry Davies original in house Surveyor who i was constantly talking too for

servey requirements for tank build etc they were nearly as time consuming too build as the 2400 thats why the didnt push them apparantly as same with the 2100
As noel said black marlin etc was just a spec not any different hull hope that info helps Rod

dan12345
08-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Hi lovey80 I have been in both the 5.2 original the newer 1900 the 2100 and the 2400 both old and new . I currently own a 5.2 original. This is just my opinion but i personally feel the old hull shape without the added planning strake rides a bit better. To me it seems like the 1900 is a bit harsher on the landings from waves etc in saying that the 1900 is finished better and looks pretty dam good, although there is less room around the dash due to the curved windscreen. I did notice way less spray around the motors on the newer pods tho which can only be a good thing. Id be happy with either Overall i don't think there is that much difference but thats just my opinion.
cheers dan

Lovey80
09-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeh maybe I wasn't clear...... There was two questions in there and one has been answered re ride of the 5.2kc v ride of 1900Kc. The planning strake was given as the reason given the 1900 hit harder on landings.

I was aware that the Black Marlin was a model that was the top one but only came out in the last few years of production before the 2100 was made hence the esky/seat layout that remains in current models. Anyone know how many of this model were built?

Lovey80
14-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Bump!

Anyone know how many roughly?

Out_There
20-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Hi Lovey, Not sure how many, but can tell you mine was the last. It was done by privately by Freds son in partnership with me and my brother. Was done in 2001 and we sold it 5 years ago. Last heard, Fred was running a charter fishing setup in Fiji. If you can find him, He'd know.

Smithy
20-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Fredly is back on the coast. I'll ask if I run into him. He was in Vanuatu for a while.