PDA

View Full Version : If we had daylight savings we would have more time for boating

Crunchy
03-11-2015, 11:27 AM
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/e-petition?PetNum=2493%20%0D%0A%20%0D%0A

mull dog
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
You would have the same amount of time for boating. The clock would just read differently.

Sent from my lawnmower

GBC
03-11-2015, 01:15 PM
I was a professional 'boater' up the Gulf last time we had tried this - it wasn't fun. We had a referendum - you lost - get over it.

rayken1938
03-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Daylight savings in operation at North Pine dam gate now opens at 5 am inlieu of 6am for summer months only.
An extra hours fishing.
Cheers
Ray

Crunchy
03-11-2015, 02:53 PM
You would have the same amount of time for boating. The clock would just read differently.

Sent from my lawnmower

Really?

I was a professional 'boater' up the Gulf last time we had tried this - it wasn't fun. We had a referendum - you lost - get over it.

I think you will find if there was a bidning referendum it would get over the line, more of us 'blow ins' than real qldrs now

Daylight savings in operation at North Pine dam gate now opens at 5 am inlieu of 6am for summer months only.
An extra hours fishing.
Cheers
Ray

See I knew it would work

GBC
03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Too late. QLD is too big to cope. What we need is daylight savings in winter. We've got shitloads of it in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluefin59
03-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Daylight saving would just see me working later as we just keep going while it's daylight , give it up and live with the time that exists for Christ sake , it's such a waste of time bahahahaha

hainsofast
03-11-2015, 06:36 PM
more of us 'blow ins' than real qldrs now

feel free to leave whenever

TheRealPoMo
03-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Start out an hour earlier tho....

StevenM
03-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Too late. QLD is too big to cope. What we need is daylight savings in winter. We've got shitloads of it in summer.

been saying this for years

but a no man for summer

fishing111
03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
It would be interesting to get a poll going to see where this little community stands, yay or neigh.

Heisenberg
03-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Just get outta bed an hour earlier LOL
Day won't be any longer ;D

Crunchy
04-11-2015, 07:44 AM
feel free to leave whenever

No chance of that, love living here, wouldn't live anywhere else, great place to live and will be even better once DLS is introduced.

Crunchy
04-11-2015, 07:47 AM
It would be interesting to get a poll going to see where this little community stands, yay or neigh.

It's just a matter of time, just need some visionary leadership in Qld parliment, so far we seen corrupt, incompetent, arrogant and meek, visionary can't be too far away!

chris69
04-11-2015, 10:31 AM
But this puts the cows out in there milking times and the tides charts are a hour out and the dumb boaties run aground because of this so we can not ever have DLS ever again we tried it once.

GBC
04-11-2015, 10:38 AM
It's just a matter of time, just need some Southerner with his head stuck up his arse who thinks QLD ends at Bribie leadership in Qld parliment, so far we seen corrupt, incompetent, arrogant and meek, visionary can't be too far away!

Fixed it for you.
;)

hainsofast
04-11-2015, 10:42 AM
That's it GBC, pretty simple really, if you want DLS, get nicked back south

Crunchy
04-11-2015, 12:02 PM
If it wasn't for the population drifting north Qldr's would still be sitting on their porch staring at cane fields strumming banjo's, whittling crocodiles and thinking XXXX was a good beer, thank god we moved up to resuce the place:P.

Flex
04-11-2015, 12:40 PM
I think people are scared of change because they are scared of change.
Ive lived in qld my whole life all over the state. I'm all for daylight savings.

I think as a fisherman daylight savings makes a lot of sense. Some of the people who voted no in the referendum are the same people saying their curtains will fade and the cows will stop producing milk!

If you have a long hard think on the positives of daylight savings I think there is a lot of merit.

Firstly its darker for longer in the morning. Which means for most boaties you can be out at your fishing spot on sunup a lot easier ready for the bite. .

Secondly after work I can take my family fishing for 3-4 hours in the evening. Get a whole extra hour of sunlight in the afternoons to clean your boat down after fishing aswell. I remember in the early 90's when QLD did have daylight savings. Whole family spending it down the beach fishing until 7:30pm no issues. It was fantastic!

As for impact of daylight savings on work arrangements. Who gives a shit, I don't care what time sun comes up when I'm working. Id rather have the benefit while not at work. After all fishing is one of the reasons we go to work in the first place..

PixieAU
04-11-2015, 12:48 PM
One of our visionaries, Peter Beattie, once said DLS would result in more skin cancers because of more daylight! How do you argue against that.

For Brisbane, with very little twilight, the mountain range to the west of the city and sunrise at 4.30am during summer, DLS must be a no brainer.

Yes i am a dreaded revolutionist from Victoria too.

JulianDeMarchi
04-11-2015, 01:03 PM
If it wasn't for the population drifting north Qldr's would still be sitting on their porch staring at cane fields strumming banjo's, whittling crocodiles and thinking XXXX was a good beer, thank god we moved up to resuce the place:P.

You're a good troll sir. Keep it up. :) I need the entertainment.

Crunchy
04-11-2015, 01:09 PM
How will it go down when they find out I drifted west, not north:o

JulianDeMarchi
04-11-2015, 01:13 PM
How will it go down when they find out I drifted west, not north:o

I don't think it'll go down well... Do they want DST out west too? Anywho I thought DSL meant Digital Subscriber Line?

Crunchy
04-11-2015, 01:24 PM
In all seriousnous I have lived in both DLS and non-DLS areas, for me its about spending more time outdoors after work with the kids, family time is a precious commodity and DLS does help somewhat, particularly in Qld where as Pixie rightly points out we have such a short twilight period. So if you agree jump on and sign the petition, it takes about 30 seconds.

Remeber that paragon of a leader Bligh? She said when the last poll was taken that indicated the maority of SE Qldr's supported DLS that she "Had to stick up for the minority" good grief what a ######.

bennykenny
04-11-2015, 02:07 PM

DLS in winter means it wouldn't be light til 8am, This is just as stupid as not having DLS in summer, would completely stuff up everybodys body clocks. Its just wrong.

GBC
04-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Um No, in Winter the clock would go the other way.

The Silver Unicorn
04-11-2015, 02:17 PM

So then it would be dark at 4pm? Good idea

I joined "The Rebel Alliance"

shaungonemad
04-11-2015, 07:40 PM
It would be ok for some but if you are like me and cannot start until it is light there is no benefit for me.
But my wife who starts at 6 and takes our young kids with her would have to be up even earlier, then I would have trouble trying to get them to sleep with the sun still blaring outside.

Crunchy
04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Got home from work tonight and the boy asked if we could play some cricket, no son it'l be dark soon it's nearly 6 o'clock.

shaungonemad
04-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Got home from work tonight and the boy asked if we could play some cricket, no son it'l be dark soon it's nearly 6 o'clock.

Haven't you heard of a day/nighter.

DaveR
05-11-2015, 02:59 AM
Not from QLD but prefer night boating/fishing, I envy your early darkness.

rayken1938
05-11-2015, 05:09 AM
You guys do not know when you are well off. Was speaking to friend in Scotland last night. He leaves for work in the dark and its dark when he gets home. Sunrise about 7.30 and sunset at 4.30 sun was out yesterday and max temp was 13. In winter the kids go to school in the dark and come home in the dark.
I suppose that their curtains do not fade.
Cheers
Ray

bennykenny
05-11-2015, 06:17 AM
please do explain, having difficulty working out what your talking about??
with longer days in summer they are just moving the extra hour of early daylight to the afternoon
now in winter with shorter days you want it to be lighter earlier which means it would be darker earlier? no still dont understand it.
unless there is daylight to be saved, you cant save it.

GBC
05-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Head west in winter. The sun doesn't start coming up until 0730. The first hour of a tradesmans day is in darkness.
Im happy to leave the clocks alone. Fiddling with them fixes nothing.
it is fine for temperate areas such as Europe and Victoria, I get that, but we pray for sunset each day up north to knock the heat down enough to be able to go inside and extending that by an hour makes zero sense. Hence why it didn't get up last time.

beerhunter
05-11-2015, 07:40 AM
I like how i used to leave for work in the morning at 8 am and arrive at work at 7:45 am in the future i always liked that 😀

sent from the beerhunter

Gon Fishun
05-11-2015, 11:41 AM
You failed to mention it can still be daylight at 11 PM.

Crunchy
05-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Head west in winter. The sun doesn't start coming up until 0730. The first hour of a tradesmans day is in darkness.
Im happy to leave the clocks alone. Fiddling with them fixes nothing.
it is fine for temperate areas such as Europe and Victoria, I get that, but we pray for sunset each day up north to knock the heat down enough to be able to go inside and extending that by an hour makes zero sense. Hence why it didn't get up last time.

Yeh I can understand that, what I can't understand is the fierce opposition to having different time-zones for SE Qld and the rest of Qld, its a massive area, they do it sucessfully in the US.

Kero
05-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Spot on Crunchy! Having the sun shining at 4.30am in Brisbane is just crazy, Why not make it 5.30am instead!
Our life isn't going to be changed... just our clocks!

lee8sec
05-11-2015, 02:26 PM
I like how i used to leave for work in the morning at 8 am and arrive at work at 7:45 am in the future i always liked that 

sent from the beerhunter
Going home sucks though, leave at 4.30 get home at 6.00

beerhunter
05-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Going home sucks though, leave at 4.30 get home at 6.00
Yeah but it doesn't get dark untill midnight so plenty of time to fish [emoji1]

sent from the beerhunter

TheRealPoMo
05-11-2015, 04:23 PM
At the end of the day it's the same old story. ...some people want to mow the lawn or go fishing or play with the kids in the afternoon and rather than make some personal lifestyle changes, EVERYONE has to change their clocks.
Just like the boatramp hogs "I want to do this so you all have to cop it". Change your own life and leave the rest of us alone.

Crunchy
05-11-2015, 05:00 PM
Cop what exactly?

TheRealPoMo
05-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Well growing up under Capricorn how about kids having to walk home at effectively 2:00 pm rather than 3 in January February? I couldn't wait for the sun to sink when I was up there.
I spose if your kids are picked up by your missus in an airconditioned pajero then all good for you. Plenty of kids up there don't have that option.

tug_tellum
05-11-2015, 05:44 PM
The fish bite better at night. So I am all for QLD Daylight Wasting Time ,where it gets dark sooner. Bring On The Dark!!!!
Mick

shaungonemad
05-11-2015, 06:13 PM
About the only benefit I can see with it is the tv guide would be the same so I wouldn't miss the show I was waiting for.

bazza65
05-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Oh Lord why do we have to have this debate every year.

Amen

Crunchy
05-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Well growing up under Capricorn how about kids having to walk home at effectively 2:00 pm rather than 3 in January February? I couldn't wait for the sun to sink when I was up there.
I spose if your kids are picked up by your missus in an airconditioned pajero then all good for you. Plenty of kids up there don't have that option.

Yeeeh that doesn't seem like too much of a hardship, they don't sell Parjero's in the Capricorn?

Crunchy
05-11-2015, 07:28 PM
What else?

rayken1938
05-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Oh Lord why do we have to have this debate every year.

Amen
Well the politics section is quiet so we have to argue about something.

Any other oldies remember the Huttons smallgoods ad.
heers
Ray

TheRealPoMo
05-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeeeh that doesn't seem like too much of a hardship, they don't sell Parjero's in the Capricorn?

Well now of course they do...the Gummint gives them one every year, but problem is - the blokes are using them to tow their 26' Sharkcats because they just fish all day up there.
Ya see - North QLD is just a big holiday theme park where people don't actually have to live and work. It is just there so southerners can come up for 2 weeks and bask in the sunshine with their Mojito's and ugly shorts.

I'm havin' a laugh because you will indeed win in the end - it comes up every year and eventually the nags will win out.

Soon after they complain they live in a Nanny state where the Gummint makes all their life choices for them.

odieman150
06-11-2015, 06:12 AM
Is that the one about the footy franks?

chris69
06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
I you want DLS so bad Crunchy you can put your clock back 1 hours its that easy.

Crunchy
06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
You obviously looked into it real hard, clocks go forward champ.

The Silver Unicorn
06-11-2015, 06:05 PM
You obviously looked into it real hard, clocks go forward champ.

Go easy on the qlders, they are a bit slow mate.....

scottar
06-11-2015, 06:10 PM
You guys are forgetting the real reason behind daylight savings - gives NSW a chance to finish something first for a change. We can't take this off them as well can we?

rayken1938
06-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Is that the one about the footy franks?

Sorry about image quality Was one of Huttons trademarks since 1921
cheers
ray111456

airlock
07-11-2015, 04:48 PM
I must admit having come form the UK, NZ and Victoria i really miss daylight saving. Cant beat coming home from work and having a few hours to fish, BBQ or go for a surf until 10pm, having hours and hours of quality daylight before work stats just feels wasted. Yes i know you could get up earlier and use the pre work time but realistically thats just not going to work when travel, showers and traffic come into play, less of an issue once you clock out.
The sun's the best resource around, why waste it?

hainsofast
07-11-2015, 05:19 PM
I must admit having come form the UK, NZ and Victoria i really miss daylight saving. Cant beat coming home from work and having a few hours to fish, BBQ or go for a surf until 10pm, having hours and hours of quality daylight before work stats just feels wasted. Yes i know you could get up earlier and use the pre work time but realistically thats just not going to work when travel, showers and traffic come into play, less of an issue once you clock out.
GO back to where you came from then :-)

dec0guy
07-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Totally agree.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

TheRealPoMo
07-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Probably, but the thing is that all of those places are in southern or northern latitudes. Most of QLD is not. That's why it doesn't work here.
...unless you want to draw a line possibly around Bundaberg or Gympie perhaps.

Noelm
07-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Probably, but the thing is that all of those places are in southern or northern latitudes. Most of QLD is not..
hang on, you saying QLD is neither in the north or the South? Wonder where the hell it is then....

Lovey80
07-11-2015, 08:27 PM
I honestly don't see the real opposition to it? Kids having to walk home at 2pm instead of 3pm really? All they're going to do is walk home grab a drink and go outside to play footy or cricket anyway.

For those saying just get up earlier are the same ones who would be pissed if someone started flushing an outboard or lawnmower at 6am next door. Having moved so Sydney for a few years I loved DLS. It was great to be able to come home during the week, knock the lawns off and get the fishing gear ready for the weekends.

I dont one see a single down side to it.

TheRealPoMo
07-11-2015, 09:42 PM
hang on, you saying QLD is neither in the north or the South? Wonder where the hell it is then....
It is in the north of Australia. Not the northern or southern latitudes of the planet.

Flex
07-11-2015, 09:43 PM
For all those saying "daylight savings just doesn't work in Qld". Can I ask why you don't like it?

sure there are a few negatives, but do people actually ever think of the positives?

i can't think of a single situation where the negatives could possibly out weigh the positives if Qld had DSL.
Enlighten me?

dnej
08-11-2015, 08:51 AM
The real reason people don't like day light saving, is because it fades the curtains faster. Every one knows that for goodness sake.
David

The Silver Unicorn
08-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Its because the qlders that are opposed to it arent smart enough to understand it, hence the faded curtains and extra hour in the day comments....

ranga7
08-11-2015, 11:41 AM
I wont go on to much about how i love it cause i dont want any queerlanders moving down here.

WalFish
08-11-2015, 06:19 PM
You would think with an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon, the NSW based NRL teams might put in a better show.

Canberra Raiders back in training already and North Queensland Cowboys still touring North Queensland with the trophy.

Love being a Queenslander.

The Black Unicorn
10-11-2015, 07:31 PM
GO back to where you came from then :-)

dont send them all packing Eddy. You'll have no southerners to teach you how to fish.

tunaticer
11-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Spent plenty of time in DLS areas......can not see any real benefit from it.
I am up before sunup every day and get home well after dark every day too.

I hate twilight lasting well into the night as well.

If you want DLS move interstate and enjoy the no extra sunlight and no extra darkness.