PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for newbie

Kate Morgan
02-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Hi , my partner and I are newbies to boating and would love some advice . We are looking at a Formosa sea rod 520 half cab and were wondering if they are an easy boat to handle at boat ramps and an easy boat to handle in general for newbies ?? Also , should we wait for a boat show , how much cheaper are they at boat shows ?? The one we are looking at is 39999 .. how much discount should we ask for ?? Thanks in advance :):)

airlock
02-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi there, The best way to figure out if a boat is right for you is to go for a water test, ask the seller to give you some time practicing loading and unloading the boat if its and area of concern and spend some time driving it in the conditions you will be using it. 520 is a great starting size as it big enough to go just about anywhere while being a very manageable size for solo launch and retrieve. As far as boat show/vs dealer the offers vary but i wouldn't bother waiting months and missing the best time on the water, if theres one near you in a few weeks by all means go and see.

Haven't owned or spent much time looking at the formosa range but they get a very good rep, check boat sales for prices and compare to see if you're looking at the right deal. What motor, trailer and extras are with the boat?

Bazzawookooka
02-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Kate,

It might be useful to know what sort of boating you're planning on doing, and in what general area/s.

To some extent, boats are "horses for courses" if you know what I mean.

Cheers, Steve.

Kate Morgan
02-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks both for the responses . We are beginners so we plan on hitting the bay's and estuaries for a while till we get used to the boat , Gold Coast Broadwater , Hervey Bay , then we hope to go outside . The boat has a 90hp Suzuki with a sounder , inshore safety gear and rego and insurance . Not sure about the trailer, will have to check .

Kate Morgan
02-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Not insurance sorry

Dogtoooth
02-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Do you know how to reverse a trailer, it's not easy the first time. Good luck boating. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitc69
03-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Gratz N Welcome to Boating

Firstly i suggest u get 2nd boat, boat show are great.. but it pointless if u never been or driven a boat... yet alone know what you need it for... others may see it different
otherwise if the boat is what i think it is.. the runabout ones.. saw afew at spring wood brissy for 35kish awhile back and half cabin at 38kish or so

but goto fishing meet.. go out with some ppl on forums or mates, so it doesnt ruin your first time on a boat/fishing...

Kate Morgan
03-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Haha , I have seen a newbie reverse a trailer , not as easy as it looks , lucky for us we will be boating midweek so should avoid crowds at the boat ramps

Noelm
03-11-2015, 06:16 AM
As a general rule (in my opinion) boat shows are not cheaper, but they do provide a lot of similar boats to compare, probably your best option would be to ask someone you know that has been boating for a long time to give you some advice, do NOT be blinded by a salesman's talk, his boat is probably not the best one ever made, regardless of what he tells you! Just like buying a car, look around and decide on what will suit, even the motor and trailer choice can save you a lot of headaches later on.

Camhawk88
03-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Best piece of advice I can give is DO NOT BUY NEW. You are new to boating so you may find that what you think you want in a boat may change a lot in the first year or 2 of owning one. Buying a second hand boat means you will pay a lot less for a start but you wont wear the massive depreciation in the first year of ownership. Getting a boat with only a couple of years on it and maybe 50-100hours (often less) on the motor means you will save a heap of coin, it is likely any factory issues would be sorted (new boats and motors can have their issues too, its not like if you buy new you are guaranteed trouble free boating) and if you decide you want something bigger, or smaller, or glass or ali, then you can still sell it for close to what you paid for it.

My opinion only but leave your options open and dont fall into the trap of thinking you cant have trouble free boating with 2nd hand or that you will definitly have trouble free boating with new.

robsue
03-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Kate, for practice reversing I suggest going to a quiet carpark somewhere, where lines are marked, that way you get the experience reversing, and without any accidents.....I use my side mirrors for reversing, makes it easy when you can see if trailer is swinging wrong way, especially when going to retrieve your boat

all the best in your boat hunting

Kate Morgan
03-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions .. I have previously owned a Stacer bow rider for a few years and fished off Yeppoon so not totally green .. I do like the advice of buying secondhand , unfortunately their are no Formosa half cabs for sale secondhand or we would snap it up. Maybe we should just be patient and wait for one to come up .. I just worry about the motor , same as buying a secondhand car I guess ..
We do plan to go to a carpark and practice reversing , thanks for the suggestion

DaveR
03-11-2015, 11:14 PM
I definitely recommend buying new if you can afford it. I don't see initial depreciation as a bad thing at all- rather it's the price you pay for absolute peace of mind, knowing the hull, engine and fittings have never been abused, neglected or even submerged. Of course you also get the full length manufacturer's warranty on the boat, trailer, engine, electronics etc. For new boaters, the peace of mind is priceless. Plus there's nothing like a brand new rig ;)

The Formosas are really good rigs. A 520 will be easy to handle, cheap to run and maintain and also handle some rough stuff. In my experience you're not really saving money at boat shows. I bought my latest boat earlier this year and at the recent Sydney boat show the same model was on display from a dealer who offered me less than their "boat show special" months prior.

dogg15
04-11-2015, 12:43 AM
There's a 2009 Formosa 520 on boatsales.com for $28k atm.

Kate Morgan
04-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys , will be going down the tweed on Friday to have a look at a Formosa sea rod .
We looked at that Formosa on boat sales for 28k ... It hasn't been looked after at all and when we took it for a water test it had some engine noises (prop chatter ) that we weren't happy with .
Cheers for all your help

scooby1973
04-11-2015, 10:30 AM
We bought a second hand boat and didnt regret it, we just haven't used it like we thought. Will be up for sale soon if you're interested. 2010 4.85 Stesco Amberjack with a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Message me if you're interested -- we are in the REDLANDS. Looking for $21k

scooby1973
04-11-2015, 10:33 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/03/ffd46c6f4b8931265d55840cfabad69f.jpg

LittleSkipper
05-11-2015, 07:50 PM
That certainly looks like a nice tidy rig. You'd save yourself a few bob snapping that one up Kate.

Kate Morgan
06-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys but I really want a half cab and a little bigger as we want to be able to go outside

ozynorts
06-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Two boats here that will do the job.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-3545545/2004-YALTA-CRAFT-535-ALL-ROUNDER?cr=0&psq=%28%28%28%28BoatType%3DPower%26Make%3D%5BYALTA %20CRAFT%5D%29%26State%3DQueensland%29%26%28%28%28 SiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7 CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloTy pe%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D% 5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%29%26Service%3DBoat sales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/used/OAG-AD-879662/2008-YALTA-CRAFT-535-ALL-ROUNDER?cr=2&psq=%28%28%28%28BoatType%3DPower%26Make%3D%5BYALTA %20CRAFT%5D%29%26State%3DQueensland%29%26%28%28%28 SiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7 CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloTy pe%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D% 5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%29%26Service%3DBoat sales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium
And here is a new one with 4 stroke.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/new/AG-AD-440566/2015-YALTA-CRAFT-1800-ALLROUNDER?cr=5&psq=%28%28%28%28BoatType%3DPower%26Make%3D%5BYALTA %20CRAFT%5D%29%26State%3DQueensland%29%26%28%28%28 SiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7 CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloTy pe%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D% 5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%29%26Service%3DBoat sales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Kate Morgan
07-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks but I have been told that an aluminium boat will be much lighter and easier to handle and we can can go up estuaries with crab pots etc

WalFish
08-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Kate, I have a Formosa Tomahawk in the 580 Half-Cab model. Its a 2009 vintage with a 135hp Honda 4 Stroke and I love it. I bought it while in Nth QLD and after a while I wished I had bought a centre console but now I am in Nth NSW, the half-cab has been winning me back a little. Half-cabs are good to get out of the sun and rain, but a pain in the arse everywhere you go that involves fishing - retrieving crab pots, fighting mackerel that circle the boat, anchoring and around the ramp and trailer. If I had my time again it would be a centre console with a nice tonneau fitted across the bow that can be clipped on for cover from the weather etc.

As far as the Formosa goes, ring Ross at the factory - great bloke and more than happy to talk about the boat etc.

Kate Morgan
11-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Wal , I'll have a look at centre consoles , did think they were for the serious fisherman but you make sense

cheers

scottar
11-11-2015, 04:12 PM
No arguments that centre consoles are easier to fish out of but after 20 years of getting wet and being cold, I got rid of mine and bought a cuddy cab with clears. The next boat if there ever is one ( opinions vary between myself and the financial control division ) will be a full hardtop set up with no chance of water getting in. Not sure of your situation Kate but if additions to the family are something that may come into consideration, a cuddy or half cab is the way to go IMO. Centre consoles really offer next to nothing in the way of protection and young kids (and some older ones) get bored - it is great to have a secure area where they can go for a rest if required.

hazza80
14-12-2015, 10:07 PM
I've got a Formosa 520 Tomahawk with 115 etec.... my first concern is the 90hp you're looking at. When I repower, it will be 140hp. The 115 is OK. A 90hp would be ordinary in my opinion.
I sold the family boat - Yalta half cab after 6 mths due to reasons mentioned earlier. If retrieving at the ramp is a bit of an issue, can't beat an open boat - kill motor, trim up, jump off front... easy. This was a major reason for selling the Yalta. My 2 young (5 & 8) kids much prefer the centre console to the half cab too... more room to roam around. Put a cheap bimini on for family days and we're protected.
I got mine (2009/10 model, 135hrs) with hds7 and a heap of extras for $28500 in Aug 2014.
Thinking of investing a new bow mount and sounder/gps at $6500-7000....at the boat's 2nd hand price I feel OK doing it.
Also, I notice that due to the wide bow they do jump a fair bit (more than others) in chop and need the trim down in head on. Always feel safe in it though. From Hervey Bay.
After 6 boats I, and this one for 16 mths, I reckon I'm on a winner with the Formosa. Good luck with your search - it's half the fun.

Jeremy
15-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Thanks but I have been told that an aluminium boat will be much lighter and easier to handle and we can can go up estuaries with crab pots etc

Aluminium vs glass - has been debated many times, both have pros and cons. Yes, aluminium is lighter and may be easier to handle, but it is subject to corrosion, welds may break, and it will be less comfortable - bang in the chop more - than a similar size glass boat.

As hazza80 says below, a 90 hp may be underpowered. $$$ to upgrade to more HP. Also check the trailer they quoted. You can bet it is the lightest and cheapest they can package with the deal. May need to look at upgrading.

I am also a fan of buying second hand. Not only will you save many thousands on the initial purchase price, but the second hand boat will come with lots of extras like sounder and GPS, rod holders, nav lights etc etc that may not be supplied new with the Formosa. More $$$.

Really need to do some water tests to narrow down your choices. Good luck with your decision anyway.

TruBlue
15-12-2015, 03:07 PM
You can pick up a 5.3 Haines Signature with a 90hp 4stroke for around the same price
I compare the ride at least if I was spending 40k
Enjoy looking for your boat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camhawk88
15-12-2015, 03:59 PM
The weight of a boat doesn't really come into the equation of launching ease when you are looking a a diff of a couple hundred kg (in the case of glass v ali in a ~ 5.5M boat). If towing weight is an issue- then sure. But if you have a well set up trailer and know that most of the time your local ramp has good boarding facilities ie floating walkways/platforms then glass is just as easy IMO. If you want to do a reasonable amount of outside work then dont discount glass because you think ali is easier. Again draft wont be much different between them either- maybe 10cm depending on the boats.

RayLamp
15-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Have you considered a Formosa centre cab? Best of both worlds there - cabin protection and walk around access for fishing crabbing etc