PDA

View Full Version : New skeeter/triton bass boat

Sparky89
02-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi guys,
Thinking about buying another boat, looking for my first fibreglass comp boat, so if I can stretch the budget and after a fair bit of research I'm leaning towards either a skeeter 190zx with 150 Yamaha or triton 189trx with 150 mercury, whats everyones thoughts on these two setups?

Smithy
02-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Look at importing one yourself in from America. Legal trailer will be your problem. Bit of sorting out but I reckon you will save big dollars.

Wayne Mauger
03-11-2015, 04:09 AM
I have had a Triton TR186 for 5 years now and it is a fantastic boat particularly in rough water.With the 150 Optimax I get 100kph with all gear and 2 people and no chime walk.The 189trx has great reviews in the states particularly for the ride and should perform brilliantly.I have been in a couple of skeeters and whilst they are good I do not feel they ride quite as well as the Triton.Both boats tow much better with a Tandem trailer but be aware that If you buy from the states it will rust out in 2-3 years so factor that in.As both are great boats it basically comes down to which interior layout you like the best particularly the rod and tackle storage if you intend to fish Comps.

aussiebasser
03-11-2015, 06:36 AM
With the Aussie $ exchange rate at the moment, you may be better trying to find one that came to Australia last year under better exchange circumstances. I've had my Stratos for 8 years and you will be happy with your decision to go glass. Skeeters are not the softest riding hulls available. You could also look at a Pheonix. Look at all the costs involved before purchasing a boat from the US, they can add up to a substantial amount and you will have no warranty back-up on the hull, motor or electronics.

portsea
03-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Hi guys,
Thinking about buying another boat, looking for my first fibreglass comp boat, so if I can stretch the budget and after a fair bit of research I'm leaning towards either a skeeter 190zx with 150 Yamaha or triton 189trx with 150 mercury, whats everyones thoughts on these two setups?

Hi Sparky
Give me a call or jump onto our web site www.portseamarine.com.au and I will go over the costs to bring one of these in from the states for you and see if the numbers stack up.

Cheers
Justin H
Portsea Marine

Sparky89
03-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, the triton will be a few grand more but the only thing I can pick on the triton is the dealer is 5 hours further away, if I was to import I'd probably get an import company to organise it all, I'll loose warranty but I can still get it insured can't I?

Wayne Mauger
03-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Sparky if your buying new from the states just check you can do so as you may be required to go through who ever has the rights to Triton in Australia - this is not a problem if you buy a near new boat ie used.When I imported mine it only had 20 hours and I did save quite a bit doing it this way.A site to check in the states is Bassboatcentral.com - the largest site in the states and full of info on all Bassboats.

portsea
04-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Hi guys,

Hi Sparky
Below is an example of some of the used Skeeters we come across from time to time may be a bit old for you, but its an option.
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/bod/5233211332.html

Cheers
Justin
www.portseamarine.com.au