PDA

View Full Version : my next rig ................1980's Coastcraft half cabin, built on the Gold Coast.

craigie
27-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Have just taken delivery of my next fishing boat.

She is an oldie, built back in the 80's on the Gold Coast.
Coastcraft half cabin with a 60 hp 2003 model Mercury 2 stroke (approx 15 hours on the motor):o

Needs a little TLC and a few $$ spent to bring her up to scratch, inc a new trailer, but at the end of the day she should be a little ripper for the type of fishing I mainly do............ overnighters in Moreton Bay, Jumpinpin and the Gold Coast area.

Any other Coastcraft owners out there ?? would like to see what you have done with yours ?

Regards
Craigie

craigie
27-10-2015, 06:05 PM
gelcoat has faded but a good cut and polish should bring it back to life !!

Tangles
27-10-2015, 08:39 PM
looking forward to seeing her re born Craigie

beerhunter
27-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Looks like a great boat. Is there room to sleep up front? I normally roll out a swag on the floor.

sent from the beerhunter

Greg P
27-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Nice Jumpinpin machine Craig.

craigie
28-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Yes Beerhunter, she has a twin berth, swagging and laying on the floor was how I have done it for the last 25 years.......... from now on a little bit more luxury and protection from the weather !
Sure thing Greg, those Winter nights Bream Fishing at the Pin are going to be sooo much better :D

beerhunter
28-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Well you're a faster learner than me because I'm still swagging it [emoji20]

sent from the beerhunter

craigie
29-10-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't know if I'm a fast learner, 25 years of being cold and wet has taken it's toll .................

craigie
06-11-2015, 01:00 PM
First things first .......... she has had a full polish and come up very nice !!!

craigie
06-11-2015, 01:05 PM
New Trailer is orderd (redco sportsman, full roller with brakes).
Motor being fully serviced, steering was seized so has now been replaced.
other items being fitted include, 4 flush mount metal rod holders, new VHF and Stereo, rear baitboard being mounted up, nav and full interior lighting, new battery, fuel tanks and the list goes on ....

brett62
06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Mate that looks great. Good to watch as you transform her. How long did you spend bringing it back like this.

First things first .......... she has had a full polish and come up very nice !!!

ozscott
06-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Nice mate. Its so much fun refitting an oldie. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

craigie
09-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Brett,

A solid 3 hours of cut and polish has got the old girl gleaming again !
Very happy with the result.
The fit out is in full swing ...................... the old steering had seized, so now all replaced. Had to remove the outboard to refit the new steering. Motor has been for a full service. Carbs had to be striped down as they were gunked up with old fuel and oil residue. Lack of use and left sitting was the issue here.

Will post some more pics when I get her back and she is done.

brett62
09-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks for that.

Look forward for updates. You could turn this around and sell for a good profit but once you have it all done it would be hard to part with it.

Brett,

A solid 3 hours of cut and polish has got the old girl gleaming again !
Very happy with the result.
The fit out is in full swing ...................... the old steering had seized, so now all replaced. Had to remove the outboard to refit the new steering. Motor has been for a full service. Carbs had to be striped down as they were gunked up with old fuel and oil residue. Lack of use and left sitting was the issue here.

Will post some more pics when I get her back and she is done.

craigie
11-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Brett,

Not sure there would be profit there if I did want to sell ?
Including the new full roller trailer and fit out and servicing, I'm around $6500 plus purchase price, puts me at over 10k into it. and I'm happy with that as it will be a perfect little boat from here on for the type of fishing I mainly do.

craigie
11-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Would be keen to add some type of alloy rocket launcher for out of the way rod storage/mount a spot light, if someone can suggest a builder or supplier ?

craigie
26-11-2015, 05:32 PM
fit out has gone well, she is ready for some serious fishing time now ! New trailer is only about a week away but most of the other accessories are now on-board.

craigie
26-11-2015, 05:39 PM
just a couple more. Have also ordered new rego numbers and boat name in adhesive form.

craigie
26-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Deck and cabin LED lights are awesome !

ozscott
30-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Coming up nicely mate!
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Axl
01-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Looking good Craigie, you did a great job with the polish.....

craigie
15-12-2015, 12:13 PM
New trailer has arrived ................. and quickly fitted up !!

Went a little over-kill on the trailer, but I wanted something that was going to be easy to use, especially if I take it out solo ........ she is a full multi roller Redco Sportsman with mechanical brakes.111817111816111815111814111813

Up around 10K invested in the rig now. Likely to be a little over spent for an older rig but I'm excited about the finished product ............. and ready to fish it hard !

Shagga
15-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Looks great Craigie, well done. Where did you get the LED on the bimini and how did you set it up?

craigie
15-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks Shagga ! Got 2 of those larger LED's, the other one is in the cabin. also put some LED's down under the gunnels . The boat lights up like a Christmas tree at night ... love it ! have always suffered along with just torches in the past, too old for that crap anymore..
The one on the Bimini is screwed through the fabric and into the metal frame. The power cable is run under the fabric and pops out along the frame on the drivers side. Nice neat job, A mate did it all for me, think he got the LED's from Boating and RV at Tingalpa ?
They are each wired individually into a switch panel on the dash.... night fishing will be a breeze from now on !

Tangles
15-12-2015, 09:01 PM
No whiting or Bream are safe Craig, its come up a treat

Shagga
15-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Good job. Just what I need.

craigie
16-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Yes Tangles, It's taken a few years to finally get to this stage.
all boats are a compromise, but this little CoastCraft is going to see a lot of Bream, whiting and Bay Snapper over the coming years !!

brett62
16-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Mate you have brought the boat back to life. You should be proud of what you have done and completed. Go and enjoy.

All the best.

Greg P
17-12-2015, 09:39 PM
When I first saw her after you got ride of the cyclone I thought why? But now I can see why you grabbed her. Looks great and so well suited for what you want to do - tight lines mate.

craigie
18-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Yes Greg, the little Coastcraft is a huge step down from the Cyclone in terms of performance and versatility but claws a little bit back with overnight comforts and protection from the elements.
Made the change for several reasons, with the major being I needed to pump dollars into another project being the restoration of a 1968 Dodge Charger. I just had too much money tied up in a boat and the Charger was going nowhere.
This little half cab was sold to me by a mate who only wanted $3500 for it, which too me was a good deal I had to grab. The motor is a 2003 model with only 8 hours on the clock !!! I was with him when he bought it at the 2003 Brisbane Boat Show and was most like on-board for fishing trips for all those 8 hours. Apart from a major service to free up the gummed Carbs and replacing the seized steering, it has been a sweet little project.

attached are a couple of pics of the Charger project ....... big project but will look vastly different in 6 - 12 months time ! pick it up at the Port about 3 years ago after importing from the States. currently having it's bodywork sorted so looking a little sad ..........