PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club

StevenM
27-10-2015, 02:19 PM
MBTBC @ Manly, anyone a member?

Good / Bad / indifferent.

Looking at joining as I tend to boat / fish alone and can be difficult to find somewhere on a weekend where I feel confident enough to leave my boat at the ramp etc with my gear in it while I park trailer / car or get trailer car to retrieve.

Most ramps I have looked at dont tend to lend themselves too much in my opinion, but am I just being paranoid?

Your thoughts etc?

Feel free to Private Message if you like.

Thanks in advance.

Moonlighter
27-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Could also consider Redlands Boat Club at Cleveland, right next door to the public ramp in William St, Raby Bay. I've been a member there for many years and it's ideal for what you have described. Has its own pontoon you can tie up to while you get/park your car, and a washstand area for the boat, plus a security gated car park.

Be interested to hear how RBC joining fees and annual membership compares to MBTBC.

StevenM
27-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks Moonlighter

fees for MBTBC are as follows

annual member fee $447.50 plus a $30 club levy

First year joining fee is $220. One off payment only

now here is the kicker.

this year they have placed on all members a debt reduction levy off $110

Their membership is from May to April and has a decreasing amount to pay each month if joining outside of the start of their "year"

What are the Redland fees? Can't see anything on their web page.

thanks for the heads up btw.

solaris
27-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Redlands is about $330 per year from memory, plus a joining fee for the first year,

Almako
27-10-2015, 10:36 PM
So $807.50 in the first year to keep your stuff (possibly) safe whilst you get your car. Bugger that I'd look at insurance if your that worried.

I've never been a member of MBTBC but I have been in there and my thoughts were; 'what a dump, this place needs renovating".

Thats my opinion anyway.

Jsmfun
28-10-2015, 05:45 AM
I joined the mbtbc for six months last year and it cost a fortune.... We kept getting letters asking if we could support the club we live western side of brissy so took the family 3 times for dinner and they had run out of things on there menu so we did not see it worth while staying part of the club.... Boat ramp and wash down area are great thow
cheers scott

DAVE_S
28-10-2015, 05:47 AM
So $807.50 in the first year to keep your stuff (possibly) safe whilst you get your car. Bugger that I'd look at insurance if your that worried.

I've never been a member of MBTBC but I have been in there and my thoughts were; 'what a dump, this place needs renovating".

Thats my opinion anyway.

And has limited parking

Oscar
28-10-2015, 11:45 AM
And has limited parking

Back in 2006 the club had $300K in the bank and the same annual fees as the Redland Club, it just shows what bad management can do to a club.

Ex member.

mitc69
28-10-2015, 12:44 PM
just come to port of brisbane, the ramp there are great, not much queue as well... just gettin a 7m boat pass the railway train may prove difficulty but can be done.. the port has camera all over that highway if something went badly wrong... otherwise there insurance for all the other stuff.. only down size u wont be able to wash down.. but take alook and see how you feel

VictorOscar
28-10-2015, 02:35 PM
StevenM,

Long story short, I was a member for about 2.5 years and I stopped because I wasn't getting value for money and the facilities were no match for the two brand new public ramps in the harbour.

There was also the issue about the a "one off" levy payment of $110, I was not a fan for it nor was I happy about the reason as to why it was needed in the first place!

But basically,

The Bad:

The ramps needed upgrading, they were cracked and a bit rough. They were also not very good at low tide but the pontoons were ok, though they could have been a bit longer to provide more room at low tide.

The car park did need to be resurfaced. Probably 70% of it was basically completely worn out bitumen.

In the end, it was getting more and more expensive each year and the facilities were becoming run down (I am not sure if they have upgraded anything since I left in April 2015).

The Good:

They do have a hose but you can only use it to flush your motor, good for when you come back late at night and don't want to wait until the morning to do it.

There was a freezer that stock ice. This was handy if your boat didn't need fuel as you could avoid having to stop on the way to the ramp in the morning,

Even though the car park was small, I could always get a park inside the fence. I reckon it would be even less busy now given the price in fees and the extra levy payment they wanted (previously mentioned above) and I will admit that it was a good piece of mind knowing that I was in a secure facility.

If I used my boat 30 + times in a year, then maybe it would be worth the money but given that 2 other mates have boats that we use as well. I reckon I would use mine less than 10 times, so it basically becomes $50/$60 to launch each time. Quite an increase to an already expensive hobby :P

P.s. you could always lock your car on the ramp, moor your boat and then come back. I do this if I fish by myself. No problems so far *touch wood*

Harmytage
28-10-2015, 03:15 PM
My story is very similar to Victor Oscar. I left as I felt for the money they were asking it wasn't enough to justify secure parking as both ramps at manly now have pontoons and I still had to deal with inconsiderate idiots blocking ramps and using the pontoons incorrectly who were members of the club, so I left and saved myself around $500 this year.
cheers

bigjimg
28-10-2015, 05:38 PM
As above with previous posts. The levy is an absolute joke. Just under $600, whoever is doing the accounting should be shot. Clearly the planning has failed. I now use either the public ramp next to the club, Redcliffe ramp next to Coastguard, or anywhere that has a pontoon and I am satisfied with the parking. Save your money. Jim

StevenM
28-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys

I did use the port of Brisbane ramp years ago before the pontoon. It was busy then but ok and manageable.

With the two public Manly ramps, north one near MTBC looks better than the south end at R Q. Are they both reasonably busy?

I normally like to get out early around sun up and then back before lunch.

Have just got back into boating after about 7 years just playing in kayaks. Still have 3 of them buggers and the transition was also to fresh water.

however the call back to the salt is getting stronger.

DAVE_S
28-10-2015, 06:45 PM
With the markets on sunday the ramp beside the MBTBC gets busy with people parking in the trailer parks .

gofishin
28-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Limited parking, yes. Recently in a bit of financial trouble, yes. Increased levy, yes. Annual fee increase, maybe, can't remember. Am I still a member, yes!

I went to the special General Meeting with 3 of my mates (members too) where they discussed the Levy and reasons for their financial predicament etc. We, and I think the majority (?) of members who attended, we're happy enough to vote in the affirmative and continue to be members. Some maybe begrudgingly continued membership, and others were plainly going to pull the pin.

Do I get valve for money? Well if I told you how infrequently I've used my boat recently it might be hard to convince you, but I still find more +'s than -'s.

Oh, and thanks to the guys that have left, plenty of parks the other Sunday I went out, on a good boating day too :)
Cheers
MBTBC member :)

Dignity
29-10-2015, 07:16 AM
I was a member quite a few years ago and it doesn't surprise me that things haven't improved. The MBTBC also had a camping lease at South Straddie, the Southern Haven which was a good base and well set up and could serve your purpose for extended trips although you would then launch from Rudy Maas. The political infighting, the lack of general managenent support for the Haven and the levees which in the past were used to support the marina entity all had contributed to many members leaving. This was about 8 years ago, the club could and should be the gem of the area and I enjoyed my tine but got frustrated with the way run. I must admit I stuck it out longer than some of my friends and as I say this is old news so there would certainly be changes, whether for the better you would have to find out but the fees do look considerably steeper than they should be.

JulianDeMarchi
29-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Limited parking, yes. Recently in a bit of financial trouble, yes. Increased levy, yes. Annual fee increase, maybe, can't remember. Am I still a member, yes!

I went to the special General Meeting with 3 of my mates (members too) where they discussed the Levy and reasons for their financial predicament etc. We, and I think the majority (?) of members who attended, we're happy enough to vote in the affirmative and continue to be members. Some maybe begrudgingly continued membership, and others were plainly going to pull the pin.

Do I get valve for money? Well if I told you how infrequently I've used my boat recently it might be hard to convince you, but I still find more +'s than -'s.

Oh, and thanks to the guys that have left, plenty of parks the other Sunday I went out, on a good boating day too :)
Cheers

Any chance to shed more light on this? This thread potential has scared away new members to MBTBC. You haven't really given any information on why it is still good?

I myself am looking to join a ramp and due to this thread MBTBC has been crossed off that list.

Seppo BNE
29-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Have been using Manly for a while, never had to wait long for the public ramps. The pontoons are awesome.
The northern ramp does have a dropoff at very low tide to be careful of (one guy was nice enough to mention it as I was about to back in one morning). It was right on low at (about 0.1m) and yeah, got the trailer tyres to 10cm of the end of the ramp and just had enough water to roll off the trailer. The southern ramp is also good!, seems a bit quieter, maybe due to the longer slow speed zone to get out of the marina. They both are my new favourite ramps ! :)...
Water tower bait and tackle not too far away are open from 5am which is also handy! :)
Also went into the MBTBC to drop in and have lunch one day, not sure if I was meant to, but moored up at the pontoon and had lunch. Food was good, nice people and a nice atmosphere.
I did ask about membership, but, for the moment, it is a bit too expensive for me to justify.

drpete
29-10-2015, 03:19 PM
I use many different ramps around the bay but Manly (public) is by far my favourite. Even with the markets on, parking is never an issue, or at least it never has been for me and I use it often.
There's never any big queues either in or out and the ramps are good with excellent set up and break down areas. Compared to Raby Bay, or even the first set of ramps at Scarbourough, Manly is paradise!!

bigjimg
29-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Cheers
You're welcome. Jim

CHEE-FEE
29-10-2015, 08:25 PM
I lost interest in MBTBC for very similar reasons; fees went up, and we seemed to get less for it, and the place was falling apart. I remember as a kid going there with my father to help with the old "ramp roster". I used to take wife and kids there for dinner, but, when the catering providers were changed, the food went downhill and the price went up, and it's only open a couple of nights a week. The one thing that I got sick if was being told I had to move on when hosing the boat. It would come from either the radio room man, or, on more than one occasion, from a pro fisho who believed my 2 minutes were more than enough for me, and I should move on so he could give his show the once over. I got sick of the fights (nearly more than once) over this, so I just went away when my last membership ran out. It would appear that people have left the Club in droves over the last few years, as is evidenced by his few boats are parked around the inside fence compared to what was there a while ago. It doesn't really effect me now, as I've joined the Tinny Brigade.

gofishin
29-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Any chance to shed more light on this? This thread potential has scared away new members to MBTBC. You haven't really given any information on why it is still good? ...Following are all the +'s for me Julian, or if I am more specific - for 'the family' :). Well, at least those that come to mind quickly. Everyone has different views/wants/needs etc, and the following may mean jack to many, but they are why 'we' have been members for about 9 yrs now.
1. Much closer to home than Redlands, and still much cheaper than RQYS.

2. More secure than any public ramp, however I still use a wheel clamp, as the real crooks will still find a way.

3. Only once in 9 yrs have I had to park next door in the public area. However, have to be earlyish on cracker weekends or holiday periods, as many times we have had late start social days and I have got the 'last spot'.

4. Much more 'civil' than public ramps, and most seem to know what they are doing, and are courteous. Not that this worries me, but it does make a difference on family/social trips - which has been my only boating from MBTBC in the last few yrs. This also helps me as I launch and retrieve solo most of time, regardless of who/how many I have with me, although the Mrs. does hook/unhook when she can. So I back trailer, launch boat, secure at pontoon, walk round and drive trailer out, wash and park trailer, then do same again in reverse upon retrieval- except of course washing the trailer before I get the boat out :).

5. Good ramp, even at low tide. 4 lanes and not a squeezy 4 (even after the floating finger jetty was installed a few yrs ago, when we lost 2 lanes effectively .

6. Plenty of pontoon space, especially off to the sides (most like the floating finger, so that leaves more space where I like it).

7. Two hoses for washing, so at really busy times it's not too long a wait if you want to wash trailer & flush motor. Some don't bother with any washing, but I like to flush while motor is still warm, and always give the trailer a good wash. When not busy, no one minds if you give the boat a quick hose to get a bit of the salt off etc. just make sure you have hose ends/fittings with you - sometimes you need them.

8. Unisex toilet available 24/7, so it doesn't matter what time of day/night you leave/return, and the crew/family generally use it.

9. Honour system ice freezer with member key access.

10. So long as during opening hrs, have a meal before or after your trip, or buy grog/food whatever for the trip.

11. Very quiet for early fishing trips - not that I have done one in a while though :(.

12. Can't think of more ATM, just wanted a dozen bullet points :) .

Cheers
Brendon

PS. In 9 yrs no one has ever whinged at me at the washing area, nor have I heard anyone else getting whinged at. In fact I have never heard any agro anywhere. Maybe I have been lucky ... or I'm just going deaf :)

JulianDeMarchi
29-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply mate. I have used the ramp once myself, I had a deckie that day who was a member of the sail club there. The only critique I had on that day was the rule on the ramp where you couldn't drive on and off your trailer. However it was very quiet and I didn't get caught doing so. :)

gofishin
29-10-2015, 10:32 PM
... The only critique I had on that day was the rule on the ramp where you couldn't drive on and off your trailer...Can only assume that was when they were doing work on the ramp/upgrades Julian, although I don't recall this requirement. I have driven of/on with 2 boats over the 9 yrs.
Cheers

mitc69
30-10-2015, 06:10 AM
this club this is a personal choice realli.. the ideal of it been a club with features or the state of mind thinking it safer or better... meeting unpatience people or getting into bad luck is random, wrong place wrong time... idk about you fishermen but fishing is suppose to be relaxing and teach you patience... not bring up more stress but public or club i notice the biggest thing is car parks.. clubs awesome for it, public well you plan ahead... rush hr.. always the same time 7-10am n 1-3pm are normally heavy... public holiday... normally if your not there by 5-7am gonna be hard.... long you plan ahead you'll be fine...

but is it wroth the money?... that something you ask yourself,

How offen you go out
How far you wanna travel
Where you live
Where your mates are
What location you plan to fish in
Size of your boat
How secure are you
What type of car you have
What you expect from a club

it the question that makes u decide to or not, if costly was the problem then you shouldnt be joining at all... heck im on a 50$ mth donation to surf life saving.. knowing i never surf or use there service... but if cost isnt the problem and you want or like the idea of a club... most clubs are the same.. it only a matter of location and where you live...

if your scared of it gettin stolen, install a gps track under the floor board or inside the battery cover case for those who has it... even i got one installed for other reason in case i run out of fuel... least my mates can track where i am... or like my wife say... so she can keep an eye on me.... there alot of blind spot but likewise this is my 2cent advice :)

Triple
30-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Redlands is about $330 per year from memory, plus a joining fee for the first year,

Will be interesting to see the membership numbers next year now that the pontoons are in at the public ramps...