PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Winch, Adjustment to Anchor/position

PeterInSA
24-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Looking at an Anchor Winch, probably the Lonestar GX1.

Currently the shaft of my anchor (around 25mm in diam) is around 580mm long and the anchor prongs are hard up against the 2 piece SS fitting at the front of the boat.

To me will have to do 2 things,
When retrieving, the anchor will need to stop about 100mm further out than now so the anchor can drop when I hit the switch. With the current position, the anchor will stay in situ.

Will need to come up with a tapered rubber round block, fitted to the anchor shaft around the 100mm out as above to help centre the anchor and also act as a partial shock stop, just in case I hold the retrieve switch to long. The rubber stop block to have a 25mm hole thru it ( ie to fit over the anchor shaft). Section closes to the boat to have 35mm diam. and rear near the anchor prongs around 100mm diam., length 100mm.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

scottar
24-10-2015, 04:30 PM
With the forces involved the shock block could be more of a hindrance than a help. Sure it will cushion the retrieve but you need to very mindful of it not being the right size or shape to get itself wedged in the bowsprit. My Sarca somehow managed to turn itself side on one night when being retrieved - the winch just ripped it in and jammed it - took a lot of 4 letter words and quite a bit of kicking to get the thing out again. If the end of a tapered block gets in there fair chance the same will happen. If you don't already have a hinged roller, fitting one may get your extra 100 mm that you need.

FyshHunter
24-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi Peter, had similar issue and used an old trailer roller as the spacer so anchor sits further out and drops without a problem. Issue I now have is I can't open my rear car door.
cheers Tony