PDA

View Full Version : 5.5m halfcab boat options

j_man_84
21-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Gday all im in the market for around the 5.5m give or take halfcab alloy boat. Needs to be relatively beamy, 4mm bottom and 3mm sides and have a reasonable sharp entry for ride. A lip to walk around cab (wanted but not a must), decent size bunks for a 6ft person to lay down. Budget for new 35-45k. Now the reasons im after alloy is basically its durability and take a bit more abuse from time to time rather then having to worry about damaging fibreglass. Ideally dealer must be in Brisbane, gold or sunshine coast as I want to be able to view and walk around the boat prior to buying which atm having trouble doing. Ive come across the stessl seahawk 5.6, seajay 5.4 venture cab and the Formosa 520/550 halfcab. I have only been able to view the Formosa in the flesh though.

Whats your thoughts on these or can you suggest others that are similar and may fit my needs and if so why you suggested them. Im open to all opinions and feedback cause atm a bit lost to be honest as which way to go.

Thanks again to all!

J :)

The Black Unicorn
22-10-2015, 06:16 AM
A broad beamy 5.5m tinny will probably ride like crap. Go a glass boat mate. They are not that fragile. Go for a ride in both and compare the difference.

Noelm
22-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Be pretty hard to find a boat that size with decent sized bunks, and have enough room left to fish, semi custom is probably going to be your best option, just for kicks, have a look at the Telwater range and see how the size measures up, not suggesting you buy Telwater, but the chances are there will be a few dealers with what you want on stock to look at!

Kiwifisho
22-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Try gold Coast boats I saw one of thier ally boats at the redcliffe boat show was very impressed with what I saw and the cabin bunk space was huge I'm6 foot 2 and I could lay down quite happily also take a look at seadex they have a new release they will take you out in their test boat has had great reviews in Queensland monthly and the guys are really good to talk to real genuine blokes

j_man_84
22-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Try gold Coast boats I saw one of thier ally boats at the redcliffe boat show was very impressed with what I saw and the cabin bunk space was huge I'm6 foot 2 and I could lay down quite happily also take a look at seadex they have a new release they will take you out in their test boat has had great reviews in Queensland monthly and the guys are really good to talk to real genuine blokes

Gday mate thanks for that. Tried looking for seadex boats but nothing came up? interested to have a look at what you've mentioned.

cheers

DaveR
22-10-2015, 08:25 PM
"Sea Adex" is their name. Very interesting design, level flotation too. Might be out of budget though, they seem to be built to order.

How badly do you want the cabin? Plenty of folks buy cabins with the intent of overnighting, but never do. On a 5.5m craft it's going to be a compromise, the cabin is just going to eat up deck space. Personally I'd focus more on your walkaround requirement which in the real world is much more useful than a cabin on a 5.5m craft. Formosa 550 centre cab would be my pick, I love how much beam is carried forward on the Formosas, makes them feel like a much bigger boat.

If you're set on overnighting though, I'd honestly look into something 6m+, which is doable with your budget on the second hand market. Otherwise I'd be all over a centre cab.

SUPERDAFF
22-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Have a look at Australian Master Marine's new Sea Class range - plate alloy. You can find them on-line or visit the factory at Brendale.
Good hunting.

Gday all im in the market for around the 5.5m give or take halfcab alloy boat. Needs to be relatively beamy, 4mm bottom and 3mm sides and have a reasonable sharp entry for ride. A lip to walk around cab (wanted but not a must), decent size bunks for a 6ft person to lay down. Budget for new 35-45k. Now the reasons im after alloy is basically its durability and take a bit more abuse from time to time rather then having to worry about damaging fibreglass. Ideally dealer must be in Brisbane, gold or sunshine coast as I want to be able to view and walk around the boat prior to buying which atm having trouble doing. Ive come across the stessl seahawk 5.6, seajay 5.4 venture cab and the Formosa 520/550 halfcab. I have only been able to view the Formosa in the flesh though.

Whats your thoughts on these or can you suggest others that are similar and may fit my needs and if so why you suggested them. Im open to all opinions and feedback cause atm a bit lost to be honest as which way to go.

Thanks again to all!

J :)

mitc69
24-10-2015, 05:32 PM
for starters i wouldnt buy new... any boat within current yr or recent 2 with hrs 10-60hrs on the motors is pretty much new, consider you wanna kinda abuse it here and there :)... otherwise if u want new.. quintrex, mclay. stessls and formosa
quintrex and formosa is great, pretty much the same, but the value in theses drop insane.. otherwise if u rule out half cab... stabicraft 1650 would be my #1 choice

airlock
24-10-2015, 11:05 PM
The Stessl Seahawks isn't a bad option, a little older but great value and there are a few good ones about with nice motors, its quite hard to find a beamy boat in this length that rides well through chop, a bit to light and the nose always seems to be a bit broad to get the more usable cabin space. Cabins aren't all there cracked up to be in all honesty, a decent bimini and a sleeping bag will do you just as well for an overnight stop and give you twice the fishable deck space. /
Maybe try Hunting down a vindicator, There pretty rare at the moment and price tags vary but i was lucky enough to jag a ride in one a few months back and they are very very nice boat, look like they could take some abuse as well.

pnp005
25-10-2015, 06:04 AM
Check out the TABS range also
Cheers