PDA

View Full Version : It is a great day for recreational fishing across Qld !

Scott Mitchell
15-10-2015, 06:55 AM
It is a great day for recreational fishing across Qld !

The final count was from last nights "dissalowance" vote on our new Net Free Areas was :-

No (Against disallowance motion) - 46 (Labor + Katter Party + Independent)
Yes (For disallowance motion) - 41 (LNP) !!!

Arrogance is what cost the LNP the election earlier this year when we asked for their position on recreational fishing policy and it seems that no lesson has been learned. It is clear that the LNP does not support recreational fishing in our state !

Let’s hope that this decision assists seeing our Great Sandy Marine Park "Corrected" next in-line with the full term review and STOP unrestricted numbers of commercial fishers netting what "should be" TRUE YELLOW CONSERVATION ZONES !

Congratulations to everyone who supported these areas !

Share with friends and contacts ..

Regards Scott Mitchell

bluefin59
15-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Great work Scotto I love your commitment to the rec angler thanks for keeping us informed unlike our on site MP who offers nothing to any discussion let alone ones aimed at recreational fishing ... Matt

hainsofast
15-10-2015, 12:33 PM
waiting for that ..MP.. Robinson to reply in here

aussiebasser
15-10-2015, 02:26 PM
From what I heard, the LNP were not voting against the net closures, their motion was to slow the process down as they believed the ALP had rushed the legislation through without proper consultation and without a lot of forethought. The LNP were looking for more time to investigate the true ramifications, (read cost) of the introduction of this legislation. They did not vote against the closures, they voted against the wording of the legislation.

Lucky_Phill
15-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Great work Scotto I love your commitment to the rec angler thanks for keeping us informed unlike our on site MP who offers nothing to any discussion let alone ones aimed at recreational fishing ... Matt

waiting for that .. MP.. Robinson to reply in here

With so many members throwing stones at our MP ( who by the way was the only one ever to try to communicate with us on the forum ), it is little wonder he has withdrawn from making comment.

Unlike many members, there are a few that know the facts and like to stick with them.

If you would like to ask him questions about this or any other matter , feel free to email him, phone him or make an appointment to have a " one on one " chat at his office or local cafe'...

It should noted and eaten with humble pie, that these NFZ's and the like were all initiated, researched and documented by people like Mark R and NOT, the current Govt and minister. This was made perfectly clear last night when the Fisheries Minister made his speech that praised the work of Mark R leading up to the last election in regard to the current matter before the parliament.

Further, it was Ted Sorenson, LNP member for Hervey Bay that spoke so much dribble, we had to contain ourselves. You need to have a long chat with Mr Sorenson, Scotty... ?? The LNP speech makers from last night were devoid of dedication to the motion and indeed the substance of that motion.

Let's stick to the facts and not go down the name calling path, that achieves nothing.

There will be an indepth report on the events from last night, probably posted up next week when we have time to digest it.

cheers LP

Lucky_Phill
15-10-2015, 03:57 PM

I think you'll find the info and up to date stuff in regard to the NFZ's were posted well before this thread.

:)

LP

aussiebasser
15-10-2015, 05:55 PM
The statement "it is clear that the LNP do not support Recreational Angling in our State" is so wrong it is laughable Scott. Deb Frecklington is the current elected LNP member for Nanango. Her Electorate includes Lakes Wivenhoe and Somerset. In my meetings with her, representing the Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association Inc whilst facilitating the opening of Lake Wivenhoe to outboard motors, she was extremely enthusiastic with regard to Recreational Anglers, in fact she was a driving force behind the decision. In other negotiations I had with her regarding Rec Anglers being locked out of traditional access points to the Brisbane River again she pushed hard for anglers when dealing with the local Council.

Kev_McC
15-10-2015, 08:03 PM
There is nobody happier than me about last night. However, to be fair, Mark Robinson actually abstained from the vote. I reckon this would have taken some courage as it would definitely not have been a popular decision with his colleagues (Must be difficult when your own mob puts cheap political pointscoring ahead of your stated policy positions and ideals). I gave Mark a bit of a hard time in the lead up to this disallowance motion, and he was straight up with me, something we don't always get from our politicians. If you check out Hansard from last night, you will not be able to find his name listed amongst those that voted (every MP except one).
It was also telling that Minister Byrne almost commended Robinson during his speech, in contrast to the way he ripped into some others.
cheers

Mike Delisser
15-10-2015, 09:13 PM
I noticed last night there was 1 vote missing from the LNP members and I was hoping it was our MP Mark. Well done Mark.

A big thumbs up for the 2 Katter MPs for backing the net free zones too

Lucky_Phill
16-10-2015, 05:47 AM
The dis-allowance motion was based on a number of items.

1.. that the zones / legislation was introduced into Parliament the wrong way

2... there was not enough " consultation " before doing so

3.. the compensation package offered to commercial fishers was inaequate

To answer the above...

There are 2 ways to introduce legislation / laws in the Queensland parliament... the quick way and the drawn out way. The ALP made a promise before the last election that they would introduce these NFZ's, so instead of sitting on their hands like the LNP did after the previous election, they delivered. Even using the " quick way ", there is ample time for debate and this is done through a " dis-allowance motion " brought in by the opposition. If the Government has the numbers, the motion will usually fail, but it gives the opposition an opportunity to present their case and publicly show their support to those affected by the new law / legislation.

The LNP stated there was not enough " consultation " undertaken prior to the introduction, well how long do you want ? The LNP had the MRAG consultation process completed well before the last election, but again, sat on it and did nothing. That is 3 years of sitting idle despite assurances of the LNP being " recreational fisher supporters ".

The compensation package offered to the commercial fishers was adequate, but in the speech by the Minister on Wednesday night, the package was substantially increased and in fact was way more than the LNP offered in previous " net buy back " schemes.

I understand that as an MP you represent all your constituents, but you also have a duty to the " big picture ", which in my opinion, is the environment, the majority stakeholders, the economic benefit and the fishery itself. When you take into consideration those factors, declaring Net Free Zones is a no brainer. Let's also not get confused here... the Net Free Zones are only for " Gill Nets ", commercial operators can still use crab pots, trawl, line fish etc etc.

Gill Netting is a non-selective activity and has a proven track record of unhealthy levels of by-catch.

There is a lot of information out there in regard to this and there are many more informed persons than me.

The LNP support Net Free Zones, but got it's nose out of joint when the ALP delivered on an election promise.... that, people, is the jist of it ! In my opinion , only.

Let's finish with one last " missed opportunity ". The LNP, despite them proclaiming to be Rec fisher friendly, did nothing about the Yellow Conservation Zone in Hervey Bay, while in power for 3 years. The only Yellow Zone ( conservation ) in the world to allow commercial fishing WTF ?????

Bloody politics.... aaaarrrgghhhh :(

cheers LP

Mike Delisser
16-10-2015, 08:15 AM
So one lesson we can take from this is we need another couple of rec-friendly election promises locked in before the next state election

Kev_McC
16-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Spot on Mike - now that the rec fishing seems to have their attention at last.
I reckon many in the opposition underestimated the sentiments of the public re net free zones. Once they made their position clear and got the backlash, then we started to hear about ïts only the process we have issues with", in an increasingly desperate sounding manner.
There might be some opposition MPs that are going to have to work hard and promise big things for rec fishers if they don't want to suffer at the ballot box in the next election. Seems like a good opportunity.

rayken1938
17-10-2015, 05:34 AM
Spot on Mike - now that the rec fishing seems to have their attention at last.

There might be some opposition MPs that are going to have to work hard and promise big things for rec fishers if they don't want to suffer at the ballot box in the next election. Seems like a good opportunity.
Not only the opposition.I would suggest that we have to keep all pollys on their toes and not only about rec fishing. Send them an email and see what a difference it can make,No good just having a rant on a forum let the people who can make a difference know what issues concern you,
Cheers
Ray

Scott Mitchell
18-10-2015, 05:52 AM
Phil

I had calls from a number of LNP ministers prior to last Wednesdays vote and they all indicated that they where not opposed to NFA's but did not believe there was enough consultation !

Net Free Areas ( NFAs) are not a new concept and have actually been on the discussion board since the Burns Enquiry. Recommendation 36 - Establishment of Recreational Fishing Areas. Under that Recommendation, it nominates the following areas specifically:-

- Part of the Southport Broadwater
- Part of the foreshores of the Redcliffe Peninsula
- Pumicestone Passage
- Part of Hervey Bay and the Great Sandy Strait
- Part of Hinchinbrook Channel
- Johnstone River
- Trinity Inlet
- Barron River

It goes on to say “that all commercial fishing activity be excluded from these areas. The matter to be reviewed in three years.”

So this process has actually been ongoing since July 1993 ! How much more consultation do they want - That’s 22 years!

The M-RAG review recommends massive changes to the Fisheries Act and Regulation which is going to take years to sort out considering the band-aid legislative approach that both sides of the political debate have engaged in over the years and the contributing obstructionist and secretive culture of senior fisheries management staff..

The LNP had their chance to do something in your last term to buy back 50% of the net licences as agreed to by the Qld Seafood Industry Association. You failed to do it only buying back 30%.

Bill Byrne comes along and offers to finish the job that the LNP failed to do and offers up 3 net free areas as part of the deal and provides the recreational sector some real benefit from the process !

And don't start on our local member Ted Sorensen - what a waste of time ! He has strong ties with the commercial sector and no understanding of what a Net Free Area even is ! Some one should have briefed him and explained that commercial crabbing isn't effected in these net free areas !

You only have to look at what our other states are doing to leverage off the value of recreational fishing both socially and economically to realise how far behind we are here in Qld !

Now that the MRAG review is also back on the table lets hope these three new net free areas are just the start of some major fisheries reform across our state - Scotto

Scott Mitchell
18-10-2015, 06:05 AM
The statement "it is clear that the LNP do not support Recreational Angling in our State" is so wrong it is laughable Scott. Deb Frecklington is the current elected LNP member for Nanango. Her Electorate includes Lakes Wivenhoe and Somerset. In my meetings with her, representing the Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association Inc whilst facilitating the opening of Lake Wivenhoe to outboard motors, she was extremely enthusiastic with regard to Recreational Anglers, in fact she was a driving force behind the decision. In other negotiations I had with her regarding Rec Anglers being locked out of traditional access points to the Brisbane River again she pushed hard for anglers when dealing with the local Council.

The LNP "Did NOT " respond to many requests for a position and policy on rec fishing across our state prior to the last election and that is what cost them the election !

Look at the current "Million dollar barra " & "Target 1 Million" campaigns in the NT & Vic and you will quickly realise how far behind we are in acknowledging and leveraging of the value of recreational fishing in Qld !

Regards Scotto

aussiebasser
18-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Your statement was still falsely sensationalised Scott. Not sure of your reasons, but I disagree with them.