PDA

View Full Version : new 4 stroke outboard.

gr hilly
15-10-2015, 05:44 AM
Good morning all its been a while, i hope i stay well and no more sickness nails me and again, i can go fishing ,any way all i would like some advice i have to buy a new motor as i nead trim and tilt now,could you please give me your thoughts on a 60 HP4 STROKE MERC please tell me yes or no as to being any good as a motor thanks in advance
Glynn.

StevenM
15-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Everyone has an opinion Ol mate, so hold onto your hat.

The thing is some are going to love Mercs, some gunna hate them, others are going to be hammy, Honda, zuk, they fans.

If you are buying new you should be right no mater what brand.

gr hilly
15-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Thanks mate i have been offered a great trade in price for my old rig by these people.

ozynorts
15-10-2015, 06:27 AM
I found when I was looking for my 50 that it came down to the dealer. All the motors were around the same price and I had no particular preference on brand but the relationship I built with the dealer made the difference.

aussiebasser
15-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Good to see you up and about Hilly. I've owned plenty of Mercs mate, and the 60 is as good as any. I had a 50 4 stroke on a 435 Hornet that was a little rocket. Don't let them tell you that you need a Big Foot model unless you are putting it on a big barge. Worst thing about a 4 stroke at our age is you have to pee all the bloody time, because all you can hear is the water tell tale while you're trolling.........

Noelm
16-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Honda make a good engine in that HP, call Garry (spaniard king) and see what he can do, the 7 year warranty is pretty hard to beat, and I think you might be surprised at the price.

scottar
16-10-2015, 01:30 PM
My uncle has a 60 Merc 4 banger on a rig he bought from Karee. Doesn't see a huge amount of use but he's had it a few years now with no issues. Only thing to consider is the additional weight if any over what you are replacing and the effects it may have on the balance of your rig. Apart from that, as mentioned above, properly maintained they are all pretty good.

Mitch73
16-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Yeah the 60hp Bigfoot as its calls is a little heavier. But the output is great. I found the guys at Karee pretty easy to deal with.

I put 2 brand new 90hp 4 strokes on a shark cat I had. They were too much power. It went great.

Whatever you get. Enjoy it mate and catch plenty

Ausfish
18-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Sorry, deleted. Wrong thread.