PDA

View Full Version : Help with finishing off floor, paint or flowcoat ?

lembo
14-10-2015, 08:38 PM
hey members
So im just about up to the point of putting the floor in the sharkcat,ive been fixing up, all underfloor work has been done with epoxy resin, to tie some timber to the hull the epoxy has run up the sides from under the floor to the bottom of the side pockets. the ply floor will be just polyester resin to save myself a few bucks. so floor polyester, sides epoxy and edges of floor epoxy (where I join sides to floor).
so my big question is how to I top cote it all?
So my 2 options are
1) once all glassing done, a good sand and clean to prep it up then a primer then 2 pak polyuratene paint, then non skid (maybe kiwi grip) over the top , the outside of the boat is painted so it will match.

2) once glassing is done give everything (epoxy and poly) a good sand and clean then polyester flow coat over the top, I know your not supposed to flow coat over epoxy but a good rough up should get a decent mechanical bond and it is under side pockets so no real traffic. then non skid over the flowcoat.

What do you guys recon ? what way would be easier/ harder and what do you recommend is the best way ? any recommendations on methods or products would be appreciated.

Thanks

shane450
15-10-2015, 12:48 PM
hey members
So im just about up to the point of putting the floor in the sharkcat,ive been fixing up, all underfloor work has been done with epoxy resin, to tie some timber to the hull the epoxy has run up the sides from under the floor to the bottom of the side pockets. the ply floor will be just polyester resin to save myself a few bucks. so floor polyester, sides epoxy and edges of floor epoxy (where I join sides to floor).
so my big question is how to I top cote it all?
So my 2 options are
1) once all glassing done, a good sand and clean to prep it up then a primer then 2 pak polyuratene paint, then non skid (maybe kiwi grip) over the top , the outside of the boat is painted so it will match.

2) once glassing is done give everything (epoxy and poly) a good sand and clean then polyester flow coat over the top, I know your not supposed to flow coat over epoxy but a good rough up should get a decent mechanical bond and it is under side pockets so no real traffic. then non skid over the flowcoat.

What do you guys recon ? what way would be easier/ harder and what do you recommend is the best way ? any recommendations on methods or products would be appreciated.

Thanks

have a look on youtube , Ron Moody does a great post on how to do a slip proof floor

Fish Face
15-10-2015, 02:33 PM
My Bonito has a great non slip floor. The guy's that made it use like a paint chip over flowcoat and then sealed
with poly urethane. Great finish and texture and super hard wearing...FF