PDA

View Full Version : Stessl seahawk 5.6m halfcab?? Any good

j_man_84
14-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Hey all time has come to upgrade the 4.2 open tinny to something a bit more family friendly for a day on the water and for my little one to sleep in. Now im currently looking at a halfcab, sizeable bunks, beamy with sharp entry and just wide enough to be able to walk around the sides and not up through hatch all the time. Now I like the idea of staying with alloy for ruggedness and durability but want something heavy enough 4mm+ to be able to soak up the rougher days a little nicer. Now I know it will never ride like a fibreglass but a well made plate certainly seem to go ok.

I first noticed the Formosa halfcabs which seem ok for the money then I came across the stessl seahawk 5.6m halfcab which seems to tick all my boxes. Now still haven't had time to see one in the flesh but just thought id ask around about these boats and peoples thoughts or firsthand reviews? How do the new platetrix hulls go?

http://www.stessl.com.au/boat-range/5-6m-half-cabin/

Appreciate all input .

cheers

Jon

Andy H
15-10-2015, 10:32 PM
I've got one. Nice boat but awkward size. Too big for the rivers and I'd prefer something longer for offshore. Nice wide boat with plenty of room though. Make sure you get trim tabs too. I'll swap you for your tinny.

boating
16-10-2015, 10:12 AM
I got new seahawk 5.6 this year. Its good but it is big and wide from a certain point. What points u like this boat ?

나의 SM-N9005 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

j_man_84
16-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I got new seahawk 5.6 this year. Its good but it is big and wide from a certain point. What points u like this boat ?

I like the big beamy specs on it, the 4mm bottom, the 6ft bunks in cab, overall looks are good and stessl are well made. What motor is on yours?

boating
16-10-2015, 09:04 PM
I like the big beamy specs on it, the 4mm bottom, the 6ft bunks in cab, overall looks are good and stessl are well made. What motor is on yours?
I got suzuki 140.

Shagga
18-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Jon,

I have the 5.3 Mtr Seahawk with a 115hp Suzi 4 stroke. Picked it up new at the end of March this year and have about 50hrs up on the clock. So far so good. Fish mainly the bay and estuaries around SEQ. The boat does require trim tabs and I have just installed Lenco electric tabs. I originally was going to buy the 5.6mtr Seahawk but couldn't justify the extra dollars for extra size. I would only go out 15kn and under so the 5.3mtr suited me perfectly. Dual batteries, transom door, seats set up on esky risers, electric anchor which, live bait tank, etc.

The only mistake I made when buying this package is not paying enough attention to the trailer. Given my time again I would have beefed the trailer up to the next size. Other than that I am very happy with it.

boating
18-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Which winch did u get ?

Shagga
18-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Muir DW08 winch.

boating
18-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Is that good ? $$?

j_man_84
18-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Jon,

I have the 5.3 Mtr Seahawk with a 115hp Suzi 4 stroke. Picked it up new at the end of March this year and have about 50hrs up on the clock. So far so good. Fish mainly the bay and estuaries around SEQ. The boat does require trim tabs and I have just installed Lenco electric tabs. I originally was going to buy the 5.6mtr Seahawk but couldn't justify the extra dollars for extra size. I would only go out 15kn and under so the 5.3mtr suited me perfectly. Dual batteries, transom door, seats set up on esky risers, electric anchor which, live bait tank, etc.

The only mistake I made when buying this package is not paying enough attention to the trailer. Given my time again I would have beefed the trailer up to the next size. Other than that I am very happy with it.

cheers mate appreciate the detailed feedback. Yeah I was also looking at the 5.3 which I think to is enough for bay fishing and taking the family out for 1 night.

j_man_84
19-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Ok has anyone had experience with the SEAJAY 5.4 venture cab? A similar type setup that might be worth a look?

http://www.seajayboats.com.au/boats/venture-cab/

cheers

winston
19-10-2015, 12:39 PM
J_MAN, I bought a new Stessl Seahawk 5.6 half cabin with 140 Suzuki and Dunbier trailer in December 2010.The 5.6 is a big boat and represents great value Unfortunately, due to illness I sold it in 2013. When I sold the package I had ironed out the issues with the combo, most of which had been caused (in my view) by dealer incompetence, stupidity and just plain ignorance.. When I ordered the boat, the dealer assured me that it would be set up correctly but this was not the case. I drove it home (350 km) and went to push it into the shed, as I moved the boat, the jockey wheel disintegrated. My mate and I tried to lift the draw bar but couldn't as there was so much weight. This was rectified by moving the axle forward 45 cm. Prior to this it was bloody dangerous! The motor which was supposedly set up correctly was improved by raising it one hole and changing from a 21" propeller to a stainless 19" one. The boat itself was great BUT it did have a few issues. The live bait tank/cutting board was supported by only two vertical struts both of which cracked, this happened without it ever being filled. This was fixed by a local aluminium welded who had far more idea of how to support it than the Stessl designers. Almost every single location where stainless screws had been used e.g. cabin hatch was showing signs of dissimilar metal corrosion. A little effort at the factory could have prevented this. As I have noted above, I thought that the boat was great. The one thing that did improve it dramatically was the fitment of QL trim tabs. The boat is big and with the canopy it would lean into the wind. One touch on the tabs and it would straighten beautifully. It was a great boat but the set up by the dealer was in my opinion piss poor and negligent, they may have improved by now. Cheers Winston.

j_man_84
19-10-2015, 05:45 PM
J_MAN, I bought a new Stessl Seahawk 5.6 half cabin with 140 Suzuki and Dunbier trailer in December 2010.The 5.6 is a big boat and represents great value Unfortunately, due to illness I sold it in 2013. When I sold the package I had ironed out the issues with the combo, most of which had been caused (in my view) by dealer incompetence, stupidity and just plain ignorance.. When I ordered the boat, the dealer assured me that it would be set up correctly but this was not the case. I drove it home (350 km) and went to push it into the shed, as I moved the boat, the jockey wheel disintegrated. My mate and I tried to lift the draw bar but couldn't as there was so much weight. This was rectified by moving the axle forward 45 cm. Prior to this it was bloody dangerous! The motor which was supposedly set up correctly was improved by raising it one hole and changing from a 21" propeller to a stainless 19" one. The boat itself was great BUT it did have a few issues. The live bait tank/cutting board was supported by only two vertical struts both of which cracked, this happened without it ever being filled. This was fixed by a local aluminium welded who had far more idea of how to support it than the Stessl designers. Almost every single location where stainless screws had been used e.g. cabin hatch was showing signs of dissimilar metal corrosion. A little effort at the factory could have prevented this. As I have noted above, I thought that the boat was great. The one thing that did improve it dramatically was the fitment of QL trim tabs. The boat is big and with the canopy it would lean into the wind. One touch on the tabs and it would straighten beautifully. It was a great boat but the set up by the dealer was in my opinion piss poor and negligent, they may have improved by now. Cheers Winston.

thanks Winston appreciate your detailed response you've been a good help! I love honesty its the only way you truly find out about issues.

thanks