PDA

View Full Version : Turtles in Moreton Bay

TheRealPoMo
07-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Coming back from Moreton this week passed some odd floaters that on closer inspection turned out to be turtles. ..about 60cm just sitting there. Got so close that could have picked one of them up. Only stopped because I thought maybe something was wrong but all 3 were the same and spread over 2 nm. They looked OK, just so used to them diving I thought it wierd.
Maybe just enjoying the glassy sea and the warm sun?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/9cd0b44c530cfb75f6703581bcdcf3d7.jpg

tropicrows
07-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Could have been floaters. They swallow plastic bags, then can't dive down to feed. In the end they starve to death.

scottar
07-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Next time you see them like that, pull up nice and slow next to them and grab them from the front and rear of the shell. Just make sure you have the Go pro running when you do

PixieAU
07-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Yesterday, out from Scarborough, I saw a few eagle rays doing similar, sitting just a few inches below the surface. Nearly ran one over as I only saw it as I went past. It didn't even move. There were a few of them around. I figured they might have just been warming up. I also saw a turtle staying topside most of the time.

Scalem
10-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I reported a turtle in Weinam creek floating around like that and got a call back. Seems I was more concerned than the person that called back, they do laze around from time to time. So I forgot about it... Floaters desease is obvious if the turtle doesn't care how close your boat gets, with engine running should make it dive. Trying to get a response was boardering on impossible, at least that's been my experience.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk