PDA

View Full Version : cat motor configuration, 1 or 2?

airlock
22-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Hello again,

I'm getting pretty close to the magic bank account balance that means its new boat time, specifically a cat/multihull to get out a bit wider and provide some safety and comfort out there.

I've poured over review, classifieds and forums to find boats in my price range and that meet my requirements and I've come up with a few good options but i'm stuck on one thing.

Do i go with a single engine cat using a much newer 4 stroke motor such as a webster htwinfisher or hydrofield ect or would a twin option with older two strokes be the better option.

Obviously a twin engine give better control over the boat and shortens the turning circle a fair bit but how much a of a difference does the extra motor really have when you weight the pro's up against the negatives of much higher running/maintenance cost, more noise, greater fuel consumption and smoke and the reduced reliability when compared to a single much new 4 stroke?

I've seen some videos of the single engines models doing well in rough seas but is this just publicity propaganda or are they really up the task of taking on the same conditions as a similar hull with twin engines?

I know it may be a bit of a can of worms but i would appreciate some insight from any one who has experience with both set ups and can help me identify the most sensible option.

Noelm
23-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Two motors every time on a cat, what size are you looking for?

Back In Black
23-09-2015, 07:39 AM
I'm glad I had two engines the day 1 of them shut down due to dirty fuel 20nm from Noosa Bar!!

The Black Unicorn
23-09-2015, 09:22 AM
I cant see why a Cat/multihull will get you any wider or be safer, more comfortable than a monohull? If your price range only allows for a bigger cat with 2 strokes wouldn't it be more economical to get a solid mono with a 4 stroke for the same money?

frosti
23-09-2015, 09:25 AM
I cant see why a Cat/multihull will get you any wider or be safer, more comfortable than a monohull? If your price range only allows for a bigger cat with 2 strokes wouldn't it be more economical to get a solid mono with a 4 stroke for the same money? sounds like you need to go for a ride in one on a shit day

ozscott
23-09-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm glad I had two engines the day 1 of them shut down due to dirty fuel 20nm from Noosa Bar!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Chris Tucker
23-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Outboards are designed to operate behind a transom. Yes some cats kind of sort of work with a single outboard but they'd work even better with two outboards each with half the power.

That's the other thing to consider. Because of the increased efficiency you can actually go with less HP with two engines. So instead of buying a single 125hp, engine you'll get better performance with 2x 60hp engines.

Chris Tucker
23-09-2015, 02:40 PM
If you are interested in a single engine cat, insist on going for a test drive in waves and run at a range of angles to them help identify issues.

Bremic
23-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Chris, that is the first time I have seen it suggested 2 x 60's will provide more power than a 125. The drag of two legs, extra weight etc will make the twins inefficient. Two 60's would be closer to a 100 single, everything else being equal of course.

Chris Tucker
23-09-2015, 06:39 PM
But everything isn't equal. It doesn't work on a monohull where the midsection is hidden behind the transom but on a cat with a single engine the drag from the exposed midsection is much higher than the added drag of an extra smaller lower unit. Weight difference is largely offset by the need to have a reinforced engine bracket between the hulls.

airlock
23-09-2015, 09:33 PM
I cant see why a Cat/multihull will get you any wider or be safer, more comfortable than a monohull? If your price range only allows for a bigger cat with 2 strokes wouldn't it be more economical to get a solid mono with a 4 stroke for the same money?

I hate the way mono's crash back down when running in larger waves, short trips are ok but anything more then say a half hour run and i just can't bring my self to suffer through it. the wider deck space on the cats and the option for larger twin fuel tanks would also make me happier venturing further out. but it mostly comes down to ride quality and deck space for the given size.

airlock
23-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Two motors every time on a cat, what size are you looking for?

between 5 and 6 meter, I've found a few good 18 foot shark cats and the 1850 noosa cats look like a good bet but towing weight is a bit of an issue with the mitsubishi challenger. if i go 6 it would be a marlin broadbill as the ally ways less then the glass. i suppose weight is another plus point on the side of the single engine set up.

Flex
24-09-2015, 04:05 AM
If you can afford it I'd suggest a twin setup. Could get away with something like a border cat. They are fantastic boats but more of a alrounder type boat if you go with a single setup.

if you want a boat for mostly heading wide I think you'd regret not having twins. Don't underestimate the benefit of individual motor trim with twins. For me this is what makes or breaks a cat when running decent distances outwide. Also the added benefit of security is nice.

Fed
24-09-2015, 05:38 AM
From a trim point of view I think it would be pretty hard to get the best out of a cat with one only motor, sounds like a horrible idea to me.

perko
24-09-2015, 06:23 AM
I own a single engine 5.3 borger cat and a 2400 kevlacat. The borger is awesome and ride is superb. It is a bit strange in a following sea but that's it's only quirk. I class it as the ultimate all rounder and happily fish offshore in it. But for pure offshore fishing the kevlacat is the go with twins and a cabin. If you are set on a cat I would be looking at a 5.2 kevlacat, 5.5 sailfish or 18 ft shark cat. Dodge the 5.2 noosacat. There is a very nice 6 meter borger on boatpoint that would be a great boat too.

The Woo
24-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Twin engine wherever possible on a cat for me. Lateral trimming using the engines is a must to get the best from any of them.

I'm sure a single-engined cat could benefit from a trim tab on the hull not carrying an engine to aid in lateral trim however it all seems a bit backward to me.

Noelm
24-09-2015, 07:27 AM
An 18' centre console shark cat with good 4 strokes might suit? I happen to know that one is going to be up for sale soon!

rosco1974
24-09-2015, 04:28 PM
how much you sellin it for noelm

airlock
24-09-2015, 06:29 PM
well i've found a good looking 18ft shark cat with twin 4's on the back for a fair bit less then most of the dingle set ups i was looking at. assuming the motors are ok then it could well be the boat.

Noelm
24-09-2015, 06:40 PM
What model Sharkcat? Some were not quite as good as the latest ones!

Noelm
24-09-2015, 06:43 PM
how much you sellin it for noelm
Probably around 32 grand as is, or a grand or so more with the trailer registered (I don't need the trailer registered) twin 90HP 4 strokes, stainless T top, 2 full service kits for the next service included, be a pretty damn good boat for QLD waters I would think!