PDA

View Full Version : Powercat 2400 2600

outta line
18-09-2015, 08:28 PM
After any first hand info from people who own one or may of been for a ride in one.good/ bad points and would you buy another?
I dont think there were that many 2400 made i have spoken with steve from powercat briefly today and will talk to him next week as he was busy with new boat handover.
I have done a search on here and read most of the threads and some are quite a few years old now.I had a look at a secondhand 2600 for sale the other day and the layout is what iam after for family/fishing but thought that the motors sat low on the trandsom and wonder if they would get swamped fishing offshore drift fishing with para anchor.

If anyone owns one and willing to take me for a run ill pay for fuel8-)

cheers mick

gofishin
18-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Hi Mick,
Can't actually speak for the 24 or 2600 (sorry!), but if they offer anything like the performance of the original larger models - I would have one in a heartbeat - because all the good traits far outweighed the few annoying traits (IMHO)!

Even though the current owners are not the original owners/builders/designers, the current 'smaller' models hulls seem identical (to what I have seen) to the original 248, 268 & 288 - so I have no reason to doubt they are not as good.

Cheers & good luck
Brendon

outta line
19-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks mate I have been looking for a glacier bay 2270 and can't find the rite one that doesn't need $15k or more spent on it

the more I look into powercat the more I Like them and are ticking more boxes than crosses like you have said the high sides for my young kids is a winner .
Cheers

Chimo
19-09-2015, 07:48 AM
They do seem to have an issue with misting around the motors which may be a problem if the motors ingest too much. If you have a look around the motors after a period at speed you can see the salt build up on and around the motors. Probably has a bit to do with air flow thru the screen, or the lack of it if its zipped up. Not necessarily the end of the world but something to be conscious of. In the past.some owners have fitted a snorkel to feed pressurized air to the motors which would mean you could forget about it.

There are a few pics around of these and also a few more recent patent papers addressing the issue.

www.google.com/patents/US20120214370

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120214370

outta line
19-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks mate .. I did read that from one of your older posts.. Iam not to concerned about that. I was a bit more worried about the height of the motor on the transom and the possibility of being swamped by Waves ..

I think it's a fairly common problem that those 115 Suzuki 140 Suzukis suck salt mist back under the cowl the way the intake is designed but you can cut down the amount of mist by putting a genuine engine cover on

Cheers

Spaniard_King
20-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Mick, I have a couple of customers with 268's... I am not a fan!!! all the ones I have seen have a spin off access port in the transom well which is covered by water when at rest:end::end:.

Everyone I have seen with 25 inch 4 strokes struggle with salt ingestion.

gofishin
20-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Garry, I assume you mean injection from misting? I have seen some O/B cats with ducting over the years, with different systems/and a few brands of cats too, but do these 268 owners just live with it or do they use/have they tried ducting?

Also do you know if the pods in the boats you mentioned are completely separate from the main hull, or cable routes etc passing from within pod thru transom to inside the hull - and heaven forbid - free limber holes in to main hull from pod (no plugs)?
Cheers
Brendon

bannana
20-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Mick I know a guy who has one at 1770. I'm sure he would take you out once you get a leave past. I know he loves his!!

Spaniard_King
20-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Garry, I assume you mean injection from misting? I have seen some O/B cats with ducting over the years, with different systems/and a few brands of cats too, but do these 268 owners just live with it or do they use/have they tried ducting?

Also do you know if the pods in the boats you mentioned are completely separate from the main hull, or cable routes etc passing from within pod thru transom to inside the hull - and heaven forbid - free limber holes in to main hull from pod (no plugs)?
Cheers
Brendon
Nope I did mean ingestion. Mist is sucked into the engine cowling and a percentage actually goes through the engine. "ingestion"

Where as Injection refers to being forced in under pressure.

gofishin
20-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah sorry Garry, didn't pick up the bloody autocorrect. Yes I meant ingestion! I suppose if I didn't try and type it with a 'j' it wouldn't have autocorrected either :)

outta line
20-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Nope I did mean ingestion. Mist is sucked into the engine cowling and a percentage actually goes through the engine. "ingestion"

Where as Injection refers to being forced in under pressure.

is that mainly on the suzuki Garry ? or are theise powercats fitted with other brand motors?

Spaniard_King
21-09-2015, 07:16 AM
Mick, I have a customer with 150 Hondas and another with 150 yammies

The Woo
21-09-2015, 07:39 AM
After any first hand info from people who own one or may of been for a ride in one.good/ bad points and would you buy another?
I dont think there were that many 2400 made i have spoken with steve from powercat briefly today and will talk to him next week as he was busy with new boat handover.
I have done a search on here and read most of the threads and some are quite a few years old now.I had a look at a secondhand 2600 for sale the other day and the layout is what iam after for family/fishing but thought that the motors sat low on the trandsom and wonder if they would get swamped fishing offshore drift fishing with para anchor.

If anyone owns one and willing to take me for a run ill pay for fuel8-)

cheers mick

G'day Mick, I've ridden in a few and spent quite a bit of time in a mate's 2600, which to my eyes at least appears near identical to the current "3000" and I really like the layout if using it as a social boat. His has a pair of 225 Merc Optis, no pods, and it pretty bloody fast.

In small chop say a foot or so it eats it up as you'd expect, the faster, the better. But in more than that it does seem to suffer a little compared to SOME other cats. I think the tunnel in Powercats is a little low, or the sponsons lack a bit of lift or buoyancy, and the effects of that can be felt in a few different sea conditions. The smaller ones aren't as badly affected as the larger ones, the big 328 was pretty bad.

They do tend to ride a bit bow high even with 2 strokes, and they all seem to be fitted with aftermarket and enlarged extended anti-ventilation plates these days. All the ones around my area I see on lifts have the large plates, as they do need some extra left in the stern even at high speeds. They definitely give you the sensation of wanting to launch skyward even invert moderate sea states. Bit unusual on that front.

The outboard power heads are certainly no more prone to dunking than any other cat. That said, they're all pretty prone to it and it's not unusual to see 1/3rd of the cowling underwater if drifting in shitty weather or live baiting a school. However, it's much less of an issue these days with modern engines having far better sealing of the cowls to fight actual sea water intrusion. Mist n the other hand, will always be present in certain conditions.

Sorry for the novel. End of the story is they're a safe boat, really family friendly layout, not an out and out stunner of a performer in larger seas but have more than enough ability for 95% of us.
Floors and tanks tend to rot, so check closely. If one needs doing you do the other while you're there.

gofishin
21-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Woo, can you confirm if the smaller older models (and even newer for that matter), had kickers in the tunnel like the 328's had (i.e. big/huge glassed-in trim tab in the tunnel at the transom)? This is one thing I cannot recall about the smaller models.

The Woo
21-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Not that I've recalled seeing mate. I'll try to remember to take a closer look next time.

outta line
21-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Cheers for all the info guys and taking the time to reply

outta line
21-09-2015, 03:35 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/reviews/2007/ED-ITM-9761/Power-Cat-2400-Sports-Cab

Chimo
21-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Wonder why he is selling it with so few hours on it?

C
C

The Woo
21-09-2015, 05:13 PM
I think it's borderline laughable how they refer to the later boats by the models such as "2400" etc. It alludes to it being 24ft long, but they're measuring it at 24' in MOLDED length, so including bow sprit and transom boarding platform. That, to my mind, is "cheating", and is how they end up with what we used to call a "268", meaning 26'8" long, now being a "3000". They're the smallest 24ft, or 30ft cats I've seen.
That 2400 is a 20/21ft boat to me. And for that price...... wow.
I do think you'll find a "3000" for that kind of money. The layout is better as it includes the larger central station with cooktop etc. That central moulding is actually the same as was used in the big Fastlane 40 all those years ago.
I suspect you might be looking to trailer it often though?
And sorry if I'm being "a bit rough" on them, it's just been amusing watching the same hulls "grow" over the years.

gofishin
21-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Not that I've recalled seeing mate. I'll try to remember to take a closer look next time.I don't think they (smaller models) had them, nor the old 288, but not 100% sure. Thought you might know.

Although it had its benefits, the huge kicker was main cause of at-speed tunnel thump in the 328 going up-hill, the other was fit out. A lot/most of them were way too heavy in the bow. When combined with the lowish tunnel (and the kicker), this would cause bottoming out.

If I had another, and as I said would do so in a heartbeat, I would get the grinder out and get rid of the kicker :).

I think it's borderline laughable how they refer to the later boats by the models such as "2400" etc. It alludes to it being 24ft long, but they're measuring it at 24' in MOLDED length, so including bow sprit and transom boarding platform. That, to my mind, is "cheating"...Sadly Woo many Aussy builders have gone this way. Technically it is allowed in standards, but I agree, "it's just not cricket".

At last year's BNE boat show I was shocked at just how many are now doing it; HH, HS, all/most of the cheaper GRP boys, Bar Crushers, all the production tin boys from what I recall. Glad to see CC still don't! :)
Cheers
Brendon

koastal
23-09-2015, 07:09 AM
I think it's borderline laughable how they refer to the later boats by the models such as "2400" etc. It alludes to it being 24ft long, but they're measuring it at 24' in MOLDED length, so including bow sprit and transom boarding platform. That, to my mind, is "cheating", and is how they end up with what we used to call a "268", meaning 26'8" long, now being a "3000". They're the smallest 24ft, or 30ft cats I've seen.
That 2400 is a 20/21ft boat to me. And for that price...... wow.
I do think you'll find a "3000" for that kind of money. The layout is better as it includes the larger central station with cooktop etc. That central moulding is actually the same as was used in the big Fastlane 40 all those years ago.
I suspect you might be looking to trailer it often though?
And sorry if I'm being "a bit rough" on them, it's just been amusing watching the same hulls "grow" over the years.

I agree- sizing is confusing. I pulled alongside a 3000 which is on a pontoon down the canal from me. It looked for all intents and purposes the same length as my 26 ft cat.
I had a friend on board who was going to purchase a 3000 powercat. After test riding a few he has changed his mind and is buying a local 2nd hand GB 2670 instead.

He is financial enough to purchase either but was shocked at the price of a new Glacier Bay 26 footer 1/4 million and no trailer.

outta line
23-09-2015, 10:35 AM
I under stand that the size may not be a true 24" 26" but one of my requirements is the boat has to be trailerable and under the 3.5T ... So therefore I am working off 3.5T and not size

iam heading up too powercat factory today for a chat and look at a 2600

Cheers

gofishin
31-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Although I know Mick has bought a nice NC2300 WA, thought I would add a bit more info seeing as a mate has just bought a 'pre-loved' PC3000 and I now know a bit more about this model... and as these cat threads are used as a source of reference I thought I would add a bit 'for future' Ausfisher use.... plus I would like Garry to confirm something for me :)

His is a 99 model with 2 x 200 Zuke V6's, motors are 2006/7 vintage. Spent ~45 mins on the water one arvo last week to give him a quick training session in twin-screw docking/manoeuvring etc (yeah, it's been a long time, but it's just like riding a bike... :) ), but we then did a quick dash out the Manly leads and back, in a good 15+... so yes, nothing that can really provide any further info to any ride/handling comments with any 'substance' at all, but enough of a 'look & feel' to add to some points raised.

Firstly, the 3000 is indeed the original 268 hull, a nominal 26' 8" hull, original circa ~early/mid 80's. I doubt that the hull itself has had any changes, as it still has the classic John Egar lines/design traits, but obviously a hell of a lot of internal design/cosmetic and changes to pods/boarding platform etc over the years (and two subsequent 'Powercat brand' owners), and the original wheelhouse version is long-gone.

However, after the original owner went into receivership and then folded in 86 (John Egar), the next owners (Fastlane Marine) did make a 348 out of the 328 and raised the tunnel considerably before canning the model after selling them for a little while... so the original 268 could have possibly had some tweaks to tunnel height, not sure, but I doubt it. 26'8" = 8.13m excluding bow sprit and boarding platform. The 3100 is the same hull, just a different layout from their current website info. How they get to 3000 & 3100 (30 & 31 foot) in the model name change is a mystery, even with the 'two bits' added on either end...

The hull lines and hull(s) shape is very similar to the original 328 and other Powercats. Each hull lower profile is 'similar' to the 328, but without the pronounced downturned chines/gull wing shape, and each hull 'chines' are a lot narrower in comparison - and hence provide a lot less (dynamic) lift. With the deeply vee'd centre section, the potential 'lift surfaces' are a lot less than the 328, and even compared to a NC 2700 - which from memory has a planning/centre plank as well as wide chine flats on each hull (Soulfish/SHaneC, is this right???). This to me is a little surprising, as the Powercats are (were originally) a 'low tunnel' design cat in comparison to more traditional cats, and hence as I understand the concept the hulls need to provide lift too. The 328 hull(s) certainly produced decent lift from the larger gull-wing chines on each hull (plus from the 'lower' tunnel and the tunnel kicker).

From the 'looks' the 3000's would need/like to go fast... Possibly a good reason why there are generally bigger donks on the back of 268's, 3000 & 3100's when compared to the NC 2700 (although the PC's are a wider boat). But then, bigger donks mean a heavier ass too, and as the seas increase, there is a point where you just have to slow down ... At rest with ~350L fuel (not full), ~120L water and a bit of gear, the tunnel at the stern is only ~20-30mm above the waterline at rest on this one (with no POB).

Woo, can you confirm if the smaller older models (and even newer for that matter), had kickers in the tunnel like the 328's had (i.e. big/huge glassed-in trim tab in the tunnel at the transom)? This is one thing I cannot recall about the smaller models.
Not that I've recalled seeing mate...

There is no kicker (glassed in trim tab) in the tunnel at all. This, when combined with much less lifting surfaces (especially aft), obviously leads to the bow high attitude as per Woo's comments following... (and a very 'bow high' attitude when compared to the 328, and to a lesser extent, the 288 from what I remember of this model).

...They do tend to ride a bit bow high even with 2 strokes.... They definitely give you the sensation of wanting to launch skyward even invert moderate sea states. Bit unusual on that front... Not that 15+ NE out from Manly would allow this 'launching skyward', but I definitely noticed the bow-high attitude Woo, especially on take-off (although this one had 2 x 200 Zuke V6's, so yes a bit of a heavy ass, but very fast, and very bow-high in comparison to the 328 which I know very well. However, I would have definitely not been travelling that comfortably that quickly, in my mono 685 either :) .

Not that I am saying 'no kicker' in the tunnel is a bad thing either, as this caused the 328's bad habit into a decent short-sharp head sea, especially the 328 models heavily decked out with teak floors throughout and all the bling up front/in the saloon & flybridge etc.

... they all seem to be fitted with aftermarket and enlarged extended anti-ventilation plates these days. All the ones around my area I see on lifts have the large plates, as they do need some extra left in the stern even at high speeds...Yep, this one had them. Look like a Permatrim, but a bit narrower and longer, with a crease down the guts. Absolutely no sign of ventilation in the sloppy seas we were in, so if it were mine I would be trialling lifting the donks, as it would help reduce the bow-high attitude too (and possibly help reduce any mist ingestion???).

As for the pod leaking issues Garry mentioned, these ones sit quite high above the water at rest, however do have a deep 'tub' in the tops of them which are drained via a small skin fitting linked to another skin fitting in the side of the pod. The 'tub' is a separate moulding screwed into the pod, so one chance of water ingress around this seal. The skin fittings must be joined with a 'magic hose', or, a hose longer than the distance between fittings (to allow clamp fitting before screwing down the tub/top) :) . More importantly, there are no drain plugs in the pods of this one. WTF?? Not a good design! Could be ~30kg of water ballast in each pod!! Maybe a reason for the high bow!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/30/5a1cc67413dc6eb1613da38095980e71.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/30/a6d9c522b5c2e6214b11fcb11a78ea87.jpg

Is this pod setup the same as the two PC's you mentioned/look after Garry?

Have also attached a PW article that gives a good historical look into the development of the 'cat' in Australia. I used to have the original PW write-ups on all the cats PW had or tested even from the 'AB' days, but can't locate them ... ! Maybe available from the SeaMedia library if anyone is chasing more info?
Cheers
Brendon

Spaniard_King
31-12-2015, 03:58 PM
No ... the ones I look after are transom models... no pods

baitable
31-12-2015, 06:31 PM
just get a glacier bay- still no complaints for me... oh.... i've started to fish with my paraanchor attached to the front of the boat... my cowlings very rarely touch water if at all. problem solved.