PDA

View Full Version : New motor, very hard to steer.

winston
16-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I have just replaced the 50 Honda on my 2009 Quintrex runabout for a 60 Mercury "big foot" fourstroke. The Honda was a fantastic motor but not quite enough ponies for the boat. I received an excellent trade in with my local dealer. A mate and I took it for its maiden voyage today. We believe it has been set up well with the cavitation/ventilation plate just below the surface whilst underway at speed.. The motor is able to spin to 6000 rpm when trimmed out. The one issue is that over about 22-24 knots the steering is very difficult to turn, no issue below this speed. I presume this is a consequence of the big foot gearbox being much larger as well as the size of the propeller. I think I may have to install hydraulic steering. Any comments? Cheers Winston.

scottar
16-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Two things to check at least - the position of the prop torque compensator if the motor has one - is it easier to steer one way than the other ? The other, which I saw on a mates new motor once, was that the grease nipples on the leg for the steering pivot had been missed at the pre-delivery. This caused the whole thing to bind up once enough rpm was applied. About half a tube of grease with a grease gun and the problem went away. Is the hard steering at any trim position or does it get easier as you trim out?

winston
16-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Scottar, steering is very easy with no load e.g. on the trailer and while at idle or very low speeds. The trim tab is ok as it turns equally both left and right. Cheers Winston.

Marchy001
16-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Pump it full of grease and try again. Perfect excuse to take it out for another run ;)
Does the tight steering change with trim angle or is it tight at all trim angles when running at speed?

scottar
16-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Scottar, steering is very easy with no load e.g. on the trailer and while at idle or very low speeds. The trim tab is ok as it turns equally both left and right. Cheers Winston.

Then the next step is the grease nipples. Mates did exactly what you are seeing - steering is fine under minimal thrust but under progressively higher rpm the steering (tiller in his case) got heavier and heavier to the point where at WOT we could not turn the engine without considerable force. Upon return home we pumped the best part of half a tube of grease into the nipples with nothing coming out and from that point forward it was fine.

winston
17-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Thanks Scottar, you may be right. I don't see any grease on or around the nipples. Will add grease and try next trip. Cheers Winston.

Chimo
17-09-2015, 11:13 AM
And if the cav plate is below the surface maybe the motor could come up one hole. Easy to try and higher tends to be easier to turn esp when trimmed out.
Grease well and truely covered by our skilled AFs

You would also really enjoy hydaulic steering when you get around to it but good to get the motor turning well in the mean time.

Fed
17-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Did you raise the motor at all?

It sounds like you have too much boat (keel) in the water when it flattens out at speed.

ricehole23
17-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Who fitted it?
Did they do a water test?
Have you contacted them with your problems

winston
18-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Ricehole 23, my local marine shop did the fitting (only shop in town as we are in a regional town). A mate and I did the water test as I told them I would (as noted above we checked both the maximum rpm and the motor height which seem "spot on". I have spoken with the dealer and we are working on a solution, I will grease the motor steering column and take it for another next week, weather depending. Thanks for the replies. Cheers Winston.

winston
22-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Scottar, you are the man. I followed you advice and it made a huge difference. I don't need to buy hydraulic steering. Great day today besides the steering being fixed, a mate and I nailed half a dozen large mouth Nanagai and a 60 cm red emperor. Thanks again. Cheers Winston.

scottar
22-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Good to hear Winston. If your steering ever decides to pack it in and the dollars are available, fit hydraulics then - makes it even easier. Sure you don't need it but hey - you can't take it with you.