PDA

View Full Version : ocean chop coming aginst side of boat

lovejones
15-09-2015, 07:35 PM
ok, so i have piloted small boats, and not ventured to far, generally in nice waters.

since those days we have moved and as we live in remote coastal decided that of of the two things to do here is boating, we purchased a 7mtr fraser, now here we have a fair few islands, to get out to them there is a stretch of water that appears to be open to the wind, sometimes the water is like glass and awesome, though usually when coming in the wind has picked up and when we hit this area the ocean gets a little choppy. i just pilot past reasonably slow as i am still getting used to the flybride, trying to get an understanding to the top heavy situation, though she feels sturdy, and has been here a number of years.

my question is, as we come past this open windy area, the chop is usually coming against us on the starboard side, as stated with the flybridge, i fear possible boat topple, (though am sure this boat has driven in far worse and is still upright) how is the best way to tackle such water, as i am doing slow and steady?

i am aware in general we are supposed to pilot into the wind, but that's not going to happen unless i want to go in a complete different direction than i need to go.

greatly appreciate any tips, we all started somewhere :)

Noelm
15-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Have to be pretty breezy to blow a boat over

scottar
15-09-2015, 07:55 PM
You will know when it has reached a point at which you are uncomfortable with the boats motion at which time you may need to "tack" much the same as a sailing vessel so that the sea is either on your fore or aft quarter and not directly beam on. Means a longer trip home but much more comfortable. Every rig, and every skippers capabilities are different so it's a bit hard to give a specific answer.

GBC
16-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Keep all the weight off the flybridge. 7 metre mono boats shouldn't have them and I'd guess you don't have any other option to drive it (lower helm?). Tab down to harden it up a bit and keep it on at least a slow plane in bad conditions.

FNQCairns
16-09-2015, 04:12 PM
i have been known to zig zag a bit like a sail boat must but in shorter runs, the trip is certainly longer but a bit more controlled/psychology comfortable, the zag with the waves makes the wetter zig more bow on to the waves better worthwhile toughing out.....gotta be really quite rough though and I have been many times up a flybridge in my younger days and all i can say is have a deck level station as well.