PDA

View Full Version : can you start yammy when battery dead

lovejones
15-09-2015, 04:09 PM
G'day all

just wondering, i have a yamaha saltwater II series outboard (2 Stroke) does anyone know if you can manually start them if your battery dies?

ozynorts
15-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Yes mate you can.
Take the engine cover off, put the pull start rope on the flywheel, make sure the key is turned on and pull. Too easy.
Oh neutral and kill switch in as well.

fisho64
15-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Id give it a go onshore before counting on being able to at sea.
If its a bigger outboard and you have chicken arms, it may be hard.
Ive tried a F115 4S, no go

lovejones
15-09-2015, 04:41 PM
great thanks for letting me know, will have a looksy later on.

Also, i have heard yes and no answers, does the battery get charged whilst engine is running?

cheers guys

ozynorts
15-09-2015, 04:48 PM
I started my 115 2 stroke once on land to be sure I could do it. It pulled fairly easily and kicked straight over.

airlock
15-09-2015, 04:55 PM
You can do it, carry a length of rope to act as a starter cord that you wind around the flywheel, give it a smooth tug and hope all goes well. had to do this with an old yamaha 60 when the battery fell over board, lets not ask how.

scottar
15-09-2015, 05:15 PM
You can do it, carry a length of rope to act as a starter cord that you wind around the flywheel, give it a smooth tug and hope all goes well. had to do this with an old yamaha 60 when the battery fell over board, lets not ask how.

No - Let's ask how - I'm sure it's an entertaining, sorry I mean interesting story.

ozscott
15-09-2015, 06:23 PM
My 115 v4 2 stroke Yammy does not need a battery to start and run. The charging system supplies the spark voltage. I have a pull cord and t handle in the boat. 4 stroke are a no go I understand, and Opti also needs a battery attached to run.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shawn 66
15-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Yes mate, to add my 2 bobs worth to those above. Had to do it with a 40 4stroke . Also whilst running she did charge .
Shawn

lovejones
15-09-2015, 06:29 PM

Am pretty sure forgetting the bung is worse than dropping battery over the side .... yep i forgot that round bit of plastic :-? hahahahaha

Noelm
15-09-2015, 07:55 PM
There is a few simple tips, first up, make sure ignition is on, fuel bulb is hard, manual choke on and usually some throttle, make sure the rope is not too long, just a full turn around the flywheel is plenty, too long, and when it starts, you will be whipped to near death by a 115HP whipper snipper, trust me, I know all about it, also make sure no one is standing too close, because as you pull like crazy, your mate might just get an elbow in the guts... I also know about that! You will be surprised how easy it is, especially after dark with no help in sight, you will pull that motor faster than any battery, also remember when a battery will no longer turn the starter, it will have plenty of power left for ignition and stuff, that is of course unless your battery has fallen over board!

scottar
15-09-2015, 08:01 PM
If it's pushing the 7 metre Fraser in your other post possibly not. What sort of horsepower is it. It can be done - if you can pull hard enough. A mate and myself eventually got a 140 Evinrude going one day but we were both absolutely stuffed by the time it happened - and that was when I was fit.

lovejones
15-09-2015, 08:11 PM
If it's pushing the 7 metre Fraser in your other post possibly not. What sort of horsepower is it. It can be done - if you can pull hard enough. A mate and myself eventually got a 140 Evinrude going one day but we were both absolutely stuffed by the time it happened - and that was when I was fit.

its a 225 motor, ive been out and had a look, managed to turn the flywheel by hand. i will though test for real whilst its on the driveway

scottar
15-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Just be careful or it may be a trip to a medical practitioner to have your shoulder put back in. Not sure if the yammy will be the same as the old V4 OMC but if you managed to get it in just the right (or wrong) spot, it would kick back like a mule. Not a nice sensation.

Fed
16-09-2015, 06:58 AM
I gave it a try with a warmed up 90HP V4 Evinrude and it popped off on the first compression stroke, I nearly threw myself into the cuddy cab.

ozynorts
16-09-2015, 09:07 AM
I think you need to film it for us mate........ Could be very educational..

gunna
16-09-2015, 09:47 AM
. I have a pull cord and t handle in the boat. 4 stroke are a no go I understand,
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can I just clarify plse. Are you saying you cant pull start a 4 stroke ?

Fed
16-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Here's a 200HP etec without a battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE4gXSYvwWk
Makes it look easy.

ozscott
16-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Just what i have heard. If it can safely be pull started it will be in the owners manual...

As for Opti a dealer told me no battery no run.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

odieman150
16-09-2015, 12:10 PM
There is a few simple tips, first up, make sure ignition is on, fuel bulb is hard, manual choke on and usually some throttle, make sure the rope is not too long, just a full turn around the flywheel is plenty, too long, and when it starts, you will be whipped to near death by a 115HP whipper snipper, trust me, I know all about it, also make sure no one is standing too close, because as you pull like crazy, your mate might just get an elbow in the guts... I also know about that! You will be surprised how easy it is, especially after dark with no help in sight, you will pull that motor faster than any battery, also remember when a battery will no longer turn the starter, it will have plenty of power left for ignition and stuff, that is of course unless your battery has fallen over board!
Love the way you cover the safety aspect of the starting process LMFAO I think maybe you should give pointers on all other aspects of boating safety. Thanks odieman

aussiebasser
16-09-2015, 12:53 PM
My dad used to start up to 20hp Mercs just by spinning the fly wheel with his hands. This is not something you should allow your early teenage son to witness, as he will try it, and he will hurt himself, I was that son.

docaster
16-09-2015, 01:04 PM
A battery that's too flat to kick a motor over will still have enough volts to run the ignition. You obviously have to have a battery connected to pull start it, except the likes of some (others have mentioned this)
IMHO you should at least have two batteries. Even a third spare fully charged with jumper leads when overnighting.

FNQCairns
16-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Every trip a can of "start ya bastard" comes with me, according to urban leglend ether sprays shouldn't be used on 2 strokes but it would take right idiot to use enough in one go to cause any undue problem, actually I dont know how one might be fool enough make a problem happen...suspect it was a some easy play on lubrication...who knows these days.

With a can of this and a motor that can start, even someone with "chicken arms" :) will get it running again.

ozscott
16-09-2015, 09:17 PM
I have 2 big batteries and a lithium jump pack (size of 2 packs of coffin nails). Works for me. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PeterInSA
28-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi Noelm, All
re ( make sure the rope is not too long, just a full turn around the flywheel is plenty, too long, and when it starts, you will be whipped to near death by a 115HP whipper snipper, trust me,)

I take it from this the pull rope does not let go easily, so is the pull rope, 1 turn around the flywheel plus say 200mm to the pull rope handle?

Looking at a backup for an 85Hp Blue Band Merc battery low.

Thanks

Peter

gunna
28-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Can I just clarify plse. Are you saying you cant pull start a 4 stroke ?

Still wondering about this ?

littlejim
28-11-2015, 05:56 PM
I've had a starter solenoid go.
The cogniscenti use a screwdriver to short it out for a start. (They neglected to tell me.)

Crocodile
28-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Hello All,

when I was a teenager I rope started a 105hp Chrysler from cold.
Took a few yerks but no problem.
The battery still had some charge so some spark, I don't know how a fully dead battery would go.

Adding to Noelm's cautions;
all passengers to be as far away as possible.
If the donkey starts and the rope get caught, be ready to duck.
Do not loop the rope around your wrist you will get wound in and chewed up, horrifying thought.

Must be connected to a battery or the diodes in the alternator will blow.
Those little jump start gadgets look good to me, has anybody actually tried one?

A 200 would have a lot more compression than a 105, so it comes down to motivation.
Four strokes would have much more compression than a two stroke, again, motivation.
How would a modern computerised motor go with low voltage????????

Let all interested parties go to the shed and get pulling.

I want to know how he dropped the battery over the side.

Fed
29-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Looking at a backup for an 85Hp Blue Band Merc battery low.
The old blue band Mercurys used to store their pull cord in a little plastic bag attached to the square front motor cover, easy not to notice it your's could still be there.

Those little jump start gadgets look good to me, has anybody actually tried one?
Yeah they work very well Crocodile, a bit expensive for what battery they use inside them but they sure are a convenient way of having a transportable battery on hand in a neat package.

drpete
29-11-2015, 08:39 AM
The starter in my 100HP Yammy fourstroke died once and the dealer said it can't be pull started. But I put a short rope (REALLY short. I didn't even wrap it right round the fly wheel, only a quarter turn). It was the easiest pull start ever.

gunna
29-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Thats why I keep asking the question ?? My 4 stroke came with a rope in the tools kit. But someone already said you can't pull start them ??

Owen
29-11-2015, 01:02 PM
If there's enough power in the battery to energise the coil or ecu then of course you can pull start it.
What's the difference between turning the flywheel with the starter motor or a rope?

Fed
29-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Some motors need a battery to energise the fuel pump, it all depends on what motor it is.

Rip it up
02-12-2015, 02:41 AM
I've started my 80hp 4cyl Yamaha with a rope many times. Lowest voltage was 10.8v.

The low voltage still had enough for the pull start.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

bluefin59
02-12-2015, 11:43 AM
I pull started an old white Suzuki 2 stroke years ago on a ski boat I used to own and like what was said don't have too longer rope ... Matt

Crunchy
02-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I started my whipper snipper with a pull rope yesterday