PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter 680 Patriot NIGHTMARE - Update

The Shafter
07-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Well I haven't been public for some time now. The trolls take their toll and it wasn't worth the stress.
We have been continually getting messages and questions from around Australia and even New Zealand reguarding updates on the situation.
Sorry if I didn't get back to you.

So here goes, I will keep it simple.

Previously I had recieved email saying the owners of Marine Tune and Haines Hunter would be coming up to see me. Neither has ever come up to see me.
Haines Hunter and Marine Tune have no intention of rectifing the faults and poor quality workmanship that has been carried out on the build and fitout of our new boat.
After what we have already been put through, a long drawn out legal case against them would not be worth it, mentally and physically draining.

As for the extensive list of repairs needed to get our NEW boat up to scratch, we are slowly working our way through them.

The split dash has now been fixed and is stronger then new.
The pedastal seat base is now firmly secured to the floor. The replacement seat never did arrive.
THe cabin bunk infill which broke out and had all the staples hanging out of side has been replaced and flowcoated.
The mess under the helm floor has been tidied up and lined.
The wiring has been redone and tidied up, now with clear and easy acces to the fuse panels.
The broken baitboard mounting posts have been replaced with beefed up models and through bolted.
The electric winch, saltwater deckwash, bilge pump and striped screws in the fibreglass have all been sorted.

The hulls black gelcoat with the sanding and burn marks might be a complete write off.
As for all the other issues with new boat eg: bubbling gelcoat, blotchy/dull gelcoat repairs etc, hopefully we will be able to get things sorted out down the track.

On a good note, the boat is back on the water and we are getting out there amoungst the fish.
Got the grandkids out the other night and they're loving it. Grandson #2 said he wants to be the skipper and needs a skippers hat.
Well that put a smile back on my face. So hopefully here's to the good times ahead.

Oh, and the port side cabin bunk infill has broken out as well, and a couple of other things I will go into at a later date.

As always this is in my honest opinion.
Shafter.

Still_Dreamin
08-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the update. Sad to hear the other parties didn't come through with their promises.

GBC
08-09-2015, 06:32 AM
You've had a terrible start with a new boat. You deserve a few good times now.

SkullJug
08-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Just read all about this on your facebook page.

Truly shocking! Have you thought about trying to crowd fund a legal challenge?

tropicrows
08-09-2015, 11:39 AM
It's always disturbing and sad to here stories like this. I just wish sometimes these things would happen to someone with a shit load of money who could take the boat builder and seller to court out of principal regardless of the cost. I had something quite different happen to me, but after a few legal letters and lawyers fees the other party said to me, you can take us to court but we have a lot more money than you and will drag it out until you give up or go broke. My lawyer agreed with that statement, so I walked away and that still pisses me off. I hope you get to enjoy your boat and can put this all behind you in the future.

DaveR
08-09-2015, 11:50 AM
I've been following this since it started, truly horrible. I didn't even look at Haines Hunter for my new boat. A defective product can come out of any factory, but what really matters is how they rectify it.

Bremic
08-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you and especially the grandkids have been able to get some use out of it. I hope that nothing more major surfaces for you.

Every manufacturer produces some dud products, there is no escaping that. It is how the manufacturer rectifies the problems that matters, and it doesn't appear either of the two parties have done anything to further their reputation. I can only imagine how many people have crossed HH off their wish list, it won't help people trying to sell second hand boats either.

hainsofast
08-09-2015, 12:19 PM
. I can only imagine how many people have crossed HH off their wish list, it won't help people trying to sell second hand boats either. I have for starters, wouldn't touch a new haines hunter now.

Noelm
08-09-2015, 12:55 PM
It's always disturbing and sad to here stories like this. I just wish sometimes these things would happen to someone with a shit load of money who could take the boat builder and seller to court out of principal regardless of the cost. I had something quite different happen to me, but after a few legal letters and lawyers fees the other party said to me, you can take us to court but we have a lot more money than you and will drag it out until you give up or go broke. My lawyer agreed with that statement, so I walked away and that still pisses me off. I hope you get to enjoy your boat and can put this all behind you in the future.
I know exactly how you feel, I have the very same thing going on right now...but, I called their bluff, and as I type, the people/company involved called and told me they are bringing a full refund in cash to my house.

fisho64
08-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Likewise, not on my list.
Comparing this attitude with how Cruisecraft have been with volunteering help on minor issues, for a boat that is 10 years old and bought used.