PDA

View Full Version : What 4 stroke oil are you using in your outboard?

Dogtoooth
06-09-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm interested what everyone is using in their 4 stroke outboards, full synthetic, semi synthetic, mineral oil, NMMA FCW rated oil or automotive oil. I have done a bit of research and a NMMA FCW full synthetic rated oil is the way to go, it's basically a diesel oil with a supreme additive package to fight corrosion and fuel in the oil. The only full synthetic oil NMMA rated oil in Australia I can find is Amsoil?

Spaniard_King
06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Check the manufacturers specs as you can void your warranty by using the wrong oil.. if you use synthetic in a Honda you void the warranty! You spend a lot of money on an engine no use doing the wrong thing by it... Not worth throwing away a 7 year warranty by using the wrong oil!

Dogtoooth
06-09-2015, 05:23 PM
This oil is warranty certified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevenM
06-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Stickers and printing is cheap.

Warranty certification takes time, cost money and testing is a fairly intense procedure.

To then have an engine company or OEM remove their so called "certification" from a label is also costly and most will not pursue it.

as Gary said, refer to your manual and use what is recommended or get in writing from them the "ok" to use your selected "snake oil" as when the shite hits the fan your engine provider will more than likely reject your claim and your "snake oil" provider will no longer be so helpful

StevenM
06-09-2015, 08:12 PM

For the record my manual requirements and what I use. I supply my own oil to the dealer as I am not a fan of changing brands.

i also selected th 40 due to temp

Spaniard_King
06-09-2015, 08:39 PM
This oil is warranty certified.

Use that in a Honda and you will void the warranty!!!

stevej
07-09-2015, 02:08 AM
why do people think they know or can do things better then the manufacturers ?
why even bother for the few dollars it will save

oil is more then just about temp and lubrication properties
how do you know the additives or detergents wont react with the various metals and alloys involved

I have a Yamaha so I use Yamaha oils so I don't have to worry about them knocking back a a warranty claim.

StevenM
07-09-2015, 07:15 AM
But why Garry...Honda is on the sticker......lol

i am sure the oil manufacturer will cover all costs....lol

Spaniard_King
07-09-2015, 08:10 AM
But why Garry...Honda is on the sticker......lol

i am sure the oil manufacturer will cover all costs....lol

Exactly ^^^^^ The oil issue will most likely not rare its head until after the warranty period :)

Dogtoooth
07-09-2015, 08:54 AM
It's just salesman crap so they want you to buy their oil, all the outboard manufacturers manuals say's as long as it's a NMMA FC-W rated oil and within your temperature range, and oil viscosity range you are all good. It just makes fishing sweeter knowing you have got a premium lubricant in your outboard. When my Suzuki Df90a comes up to 100 hours very soon I'm using this stuff. Dinosaur oil is good, A man made oil is better, just my opinion.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/06/d20aeb62761e6a393a8e3436ce63b3c4.jpg

fisho64
07-09-2015, 04:39 PM
gotta love your handle on your posts
" I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

BGG
07-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Easy
I have a Honda so I use Honda oil.

juggernaut
07-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Use the Amsoil if the specs are within the manufacturers oil guide in your manual. Amsoil gets a good rap in the US in the marine environment.

Honda's probably use repackaged Singer sewing machine oil. ;D