PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha F100 alarm

drpete
01-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi, the last couple of times I've taken her out, the motor starts and idles fine, but halfway to the leads, an alarm sounds and the oil can symbol comes on.
I've checked my oil and I'm fine. It was only serviced a couple of months ago. So I limp back to the ramp, restart and give it a cold rev, and it doesn't do it again for the rest of the day. All fine. I'm concerned it could be low oil pressure but hope it's a faulty pressure sensor. But one Yamaha tech said that they use the same alarm for water in the fuel, so I suppose it COULD be that. She's a 2000 model with a lot of hours but well maintained, used often, and usually VERY reliable. I have her booked in to be looked at, but I'm not a millionaire so if anybody has any suggestions for what to look for first, I'm all ears....
Thanks in advance.
Pete

RayLamp
01-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I think the alarm is generic alarm.

Mine did something similar to yours, in that I had the alarm sound first thing on a trip. I turned the motor off, cooled down a bit, restarted and no more alarm for the day.

It ended up being the thermostat. Inexpensive but it was the first time I've had an alarm sound so it woke me up!

Flex
02-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Do any symbols flash on your displays? These usually flash in sequence to show the error code. Not sure if the oil symbol would flash through

drpete
02-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Nah I was looking out for that but it's just a solid oil can symbol. No flashing. It only does it at the ramp. The rest of the day it's fine.
That's what's throwing me....
Thanks for your help.
Peter

ShaneC
02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Ill lay my bags its a sticky thermostat and the motor is overheating momentarily. Replace the thermo and it will be fine.

drpete
03-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Honestly I was leaning a little bit that way myself, the only thing that I'm concerned about with that is that the temp symbol on the gauges doesn't light up, just the oil symbol.
Thanks
Peter

RayLamp
03-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I didn't get a temp signal either.

If it was low oil pressure, it would continually re-occur, you'd expect.

drpete
11-09-2015, 04:33 PM
So just to update. It WAS a faulty oil pressure sender. So that's easy. But it's ALSO three swollen and degraded hi tension leads, and four carbys requiring a pull down and clean to stop the over fuelling problem that has also fouled three of the plugs in a six month period :)
So as with most motor problems I've experienced in my life (all engines) it's rarely just one thing that's causing the fault.
Oh well, at least I can fix it now. No biggy.
Peter

Rip it up
12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Those carbies are notorious for find galleries and need good quality fuel filtration.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

Moonlighter
12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
You don't happen to spray the engine with INOX do you? It will cause swelled rubber like that.

drpete
16-09-2015, 01:10 PM
I don't, but the bloke I bought her off did for years. It's what the mechanic reckons has caused it. No big deal, I know a bloke that makes bespoke ignition leads better and cheaper than most manufacturers so it won't be too dear.
Peter

docaster
16-09-2015, 01:24 PM
So is lanolin ok?

Moonlighter
16-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Yes. No problems at all. Good for the rubber.