PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake affecting fishing???

Back In Black
24-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Guys, Just wondering what your thoughts are re the down turn in fishing since the earthquakes off Fraser Island.
Seems that as soon as they hit, 12 in total, over a time period, the fishing has really gone off.

I have heard some horror stories the last few weeks, & the lack of reports might reflect this.

Juna googled & found off Florida they lost an entire tuna season due to deep water quakes.

Your thoughts??

Tony

Chong
24-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Well it has most definitely shut down the estuary fishing in the straits and Mary River... i had the same thought....no shakes of late, will test theory this weekend with Cheech and Julian...

Lucky_Phill
24-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I suppose you could also send an email to Keely Rose Charters who charters out of Tin Can Bay or Rainbow Beach Fishing Charters.

They are local and would know exactly what's doing.

An interesting question.

cheers LP

Back In Black
24-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Phil,
What happened to the previous responses?? They are gone??

I understand deleting that trouble making Moejoes, but the other fella didn't deserve it;D;D;D;D

rosco1974
24-08-2015, 08:32 PM
nah mate the squire are going off at you hussar spot...

Back In Black
24-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Maybe rosco should be booted for his poor attempt at humour;D

rosco1974
24-08-2015, 08:41 PM
I didn't even mention ya missus outfishing you this time tony...not feeling the love;D

Moejoes
24-08-2015, 08:47 PM
nah mate the squire are going off at you hussar spot...

Do not mention the "H" word :o

Chong
24-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Phil,
What happened to the previous responses?? They are gone??

I understand deleting that trouble making Moejoes, but the other fella didn't deserve it;D;D;D;D
yep thats strange..WT ??

Short Fuse
24-08-2015, 10:46 PM
G'day Tony.

I did not put up a report of my last trip - just over a week ago now off Moreton. We chased pearl perch in 80 metres depth during the afternoon, and bagged out on fish to 50cms in 3 hours of fishing and then headed into the shallows to the spot I took Scalem to a few weeks ago. The snapper were really on the chew during the last hour of daylight and we got 5 fish between 50cms and 72cms on plastics. As it got dark, they stopped hitting the plastics so we drifted the same area with unweighted pilchards and finished our bag out quite quickly.

All of the snapper were really hollow gutted, which I put down to having just spawned, and feel that was confirmed on cleaning the fish. There was no evidence of developed roe or milt in any of the fish. I think that can be some of the problems with fishing at this time of the year. When the snapper are in spawning mode, they are not interested in feeding, and fishing can be tough. But find them once they come back into feeding mode and they will hit just about anything in the water.

cheers

Jeff

Back In Black
25-08-2015, 06:04 AM
It just proves my point Jeff that I suck at fishing!! LOL

chris69
25-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Well boab bribie owner got a bucket load off fraser not to long ago so not the earth quakes stopping you catching fish just location location location.

PROS
25-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Had one of the slowest fishing day that passed blue moon.

Fishing last Monday was great, consistent bite period

Max

rosco1974
25-08-2015, 06:35 PM
when you taking me out red fishing tony..pretty keen to go for a run in a sailfish

Back In Black
25-08-2015, 10:22 PM
You need to improve your humour first big fella!! LOL

The Silver Unicorn
25-08-2015, 10:48 PM
when you taking me out red fishing tony..pretty keen to go for a run in a sailfish

So hussar are called reds now???

rosco1974
26-08-2015, 08:01 PM
yeah bull,cannot upset captain tony when ya trying to get out for a fish..i promise tony I wont out fish ya or let you gaff my fish

aussiebasser
26-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I fished through an earthquake in PNG a few years ago. We were in the boat on the Pandi River when it hit. We didn't feel it, but all the birds took off out of the trees. Fishing was still good.

Reefmaster
27-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Tony my last trip off Fraser was during when the large second quake hit. Pulled 13 reds that day including a 13kg, 14.4kg, 15.6kg and 16kg and a good catch of other reefies. I was driving along at the time that quake hit and the water had an strange ripple to it. I said to the boys gee the water looks odd here, maybe a current line moving through but it soon disappeared minutes later. When we got back we worked out this was the time it happened. In my findings the quake made no difference to our fishing.

Regards
Greg

Back In Black
27-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Tony my last trip off Fraser was during when the large second quake hit. Pulled 13 reds that day including a 13kg, 14.4kg, 15.6kg and 16kg and a good catch of other reefies. I was driving along at the time that quake hit and the water had an strange ripple to it. I said to the boys gee the water looks odd here, maybe a current line moving through but it soon disappeared minutes later. When we got back we worked out this was the time it happened. In my findings the quake made no difference to our fishing.

Regards
Greg

Thanks for that Greg,

It just proves my point my fishing suck!!

Tony

Back In Black
27-08-2015, 03:06 PM
So hussar are called reds now???

Seriously fellas, I am so pleased I give you such pleasure.

If taking the piss out of me makes your day, my work is complete;D;D;D