PDA

View Full Version : Council can impound your boat?

docaster
17-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Well what a disgrace this is.
We pay boat trailer and boat rego for something that doesn't get used much and your not allowed on the road?

http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/story/3258880/councils-able-to-impound-parked-boats-poll/

shaungonemad
17-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah that will be a shit fight having to prove that it has been moved in the last three months and then having to pay to get it out of impound. What will they class as "moved" you could let the brake off and roll it forward a inch.

Darren Mc
17-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Sorry to say but i don't really have a problem with that idea. Hopefully that covers crappy cars parked on the street semi permanently too.

DaveR
17-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Discretion needs to be applied. Some folks have sloping/small/irregular shaped blocks unsuitable for storing a boat so the road is their only option. In a quiet street what's the problem? (assuming they actually use the boat)

Bremic
17-08-2015, 07:39 PM
There are enough boats pinched from backyards, if either of those boats were mine and I couldn't put it in the yard, I would be looking for another option other than the street.

docaster
17-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Given the smaller blocks etc, i would think people would only be keeping it on the street only if they had no choice.
IMO the real problem is the bloody roads are too narrow.

airlock
17-08-2015, 08:05 PM
It's a bit of a bugger i suppose but i can see why. used to live down a road that was a bit on the narrow side and some bright spark kept his 7 meter cat outside his house. Getting past was a bit iffy for most and it would have really pissed me off if a semi-truck hadn't wiped the thing out after 2 months of living there. I know it sucks but if you can't store your things on your own property then you need to be looking at alternative arrangements aside from blocking public roads and footpaths.
and yes i hope this counts for cars parked permanently in busy areas.

PixieAU
18-08-2015, 08:10 AM
It's also an amenity issue. People's biggest investment is their home and to have a perceivable devaluation of that investment because others can't keep their toys in their own yards is unfair. If you don't have the room on site then make other arrangements. Easy.

DaveR
18-08-2015, 04:10 PM
If the boat isn't massive, what's the difference between street parking a registered trailer that's used occasionally and street parking a registered car that's used occasionally? Does the law differentiate the two?

I support towing boats (and cars) that are scrap. For a long time my neighbour had not one, but two scrap/unusable boats parked on the street. Total eyesore. They're gone now, but have been replaced by an old Ford Fairlane which hasn't moved in probably 12 months. They have ample space to store it on the property but I guess it's simpler keeping it on the street. If I put the house on the market I'd definitely be asking him to move it.

TheRealPoMo
18-08-2015, 04:20 PM
As long as they do the same with caravans.
Hate caravans. ..

BM
18-08-2015, 07:41 PM
If it were vehicles parked on the road I imagine that would be totally acceptable? Therefore its discriminatory action and in any court should fall over on those grounds. If it was a car parked on the road in front of the premises every day it would never be challenged. That car pays a registration (road use) fee. The boat trailer also attracts a registration (road use) fee. I'd like to see the legislation the council plans to use to defend their actions. I think the first fined person should definitely see the matter proceed to court for sanity to prevail. However, if roads are being congested by boats, thus creating a safety hazard then there is likely existing legislative framework. Common sense required methinks regarding penalties.

Charlie
18-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Some councils already ban boat trailer parking or consider a trailer part of a long vehicle combination and successfully fine people, also laws out there that don't allow you to circumvent a parking period by moving and reparking. The best solutions would be to defect the rust buckets then tow them once the rego cancelled, would solve a most of the problem in a couple of weeks. I could never sleep at night with the boat left on the street.

Rainbowrunner
18-08-2015, 08:13 PM
I pay rego to drive and park my boat amd trailer where I want same as a car, truck, caravan, trailer, motorbike etc as long as it is in a safe position there shouldnt be an issue

stevej
18-08-2015, 08:52 PM
its to stop inconsiderate peole who leave them close to boat ramps to save towing them back to the western suburbs

blame the pricks as government only bring in blanket rules