PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Quintrex alloy trailers

Strewth
17-08-2015, 10:49 AM
The Dunbier trailer for my 2002 Hornet 445 has finally given up the ghost after 13 years of hard labour and I am looking to replace it. Any experience with the latest Quintrex alloy trailers? The 1100 Kg looks to be suitable. Will be used on some corrugated dirt roads, but not for full off-road duty.

Any other trailer suggestions, with approx prices, welcome. Would be looking to include a spare and a walkway.

stevej
17-08-2015, 11:57 AM
i have one under a 420 renegade
noticeable flex when traveling down the high way
but tbh i ve never looked at a trailer closely before its just the wife was towing it and i was in her car
tracks well easy to launch from and retrieve

i havnt down enough km on my to give any better feedback

bluefin59
17-08-2015, 12:11 PM
I put one under my 4.5 bluefin predator and am loving it so far I have a post up here somewhere about it , try the search function .. Matt

Strewth
17-08-2015, 01:18 PM
I put one under my 4.5 bluefin predator and am loving it so far I have a post up here somewhere about it , try the search function .. Matt

Thanks Matt. Saw your post, just checking to see if others have anything to report. Excessive flexing is a concern, especially on corrugated roads, but the improved corrosion resistance is a big plus. Was very happy with the my Dunbier wide loader, except for its corrosion performance...

rayken1938
17-08-2015, 02:09 PM
where are you ? If you are in SEQ see if you can do a tour of the quintrex factory. I seem to recall that they are designed to flex because it stops cracking. Their original ones failed their endurance testing because they were too rigid.
Cheers
Ray

Strewth
17-08-2015, 03:31 PM
where are you ? If you are in SEQ see if you can do a tour of the quintrex factory. I seem to recall that they are designed to flex because it stops cracking. Their original ones failed their endurance testing because they were too rigid.
Cheers
Ray

I am in Newcastle Ray, so a trip to the factory is out. Interesting take on the flex. I would worry that fatigue cracking caused by cyclic deformation could be an issue, but the acid test is always how they are performing on the road. Not much info on the web about them.

Darren Mc
17-08-2015, 06:01 PM
I've got the 1100kg one with a 460 renegade, 70 4 stroke yammie on it and it's great, no problems. Feels very solid to me and tow's beautifully. Funny thing is though there's not enough weight in the boat for the brakes to engage. From new i just drowned the brakes, springs and pretty much everything else apart from the rails in wd-40.
Every now and then i do this and so far it's worked for me. I've done that with my two other trailers and they were both in great condition when i sold them. Not sure how they would go on corrugated roads. Like any vehicle though if you let some pressure out of your tyre's it helps heaps.

Darren Mc
17-08-2015, 06:05 PM
I think the first thing i would do if i were going on corrugated roads would be to locktite all of the bolts. I'd also carry some spare bolts just in case.

TheGurn
17-08-2015, 07:28 PM
One thing to note about them is the wheel base is wider than the average car. Easier to see when reversing, but might be an issue towing through sand. Yet to give that a go, so maybe not as bad as I imagine.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

stevej
17-08-2015, 11:32 PM
one thing is they come with a no name yumcha tyre and there is not much clearance to get a decent light truck tyre under the guards

bluefin59
18-08-2015, 04:47 AM
On mine the tyres the axle the brakes and the spring set are all the same brand which is obviously Chinese Brand MEHER ...Matt

Strewth
18-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the extra information - much appreciated. My old trailer is the LS4.7B wide loader model from Dunbier, and its wheel base is also wider than the average car. Boat sits down low between the wheels and thus the trailer has a low centre of gravity. Great to tow with no swaying.

A local trailer maker will replicate the old model for around $3.7K using local galvanising and Australian steel. Decisions, decisions!

bluefin59
18-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Yeah I had the same problem my old Belco was great for 12 yrs of drive on drive off loading and never caused me a problem but I am not using the boat as much and it turned out cheaper to go the alloy so that's the way I went , let's see how it is in 10 yrs. Matt

Billistic
18-08-2015, 09:54 AM
If it were me, I would look at getting one built where they can upgrade the suspension for the corrugated dirt roads you will be driving on.

bluefin59
18-08-2015, 10:33 AM
If your going to be doing regular off-road trips I would recommend getting a price for a heavy duty Belco about 4 k . Matt

Strewth
19-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Waiting for a final price on the quintrex 1100 kg alloy model, but leaning towards a custom galvanised build with beefed-up members, NTN bearings, and stronger suspension. Thinking of adding a v-mesh at the front as well. The use of local steel and galvanising is a perhaps a plus for quality control.