PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft v's Smartwave

D1vemaster
16-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I've been researching my potential next vessel (Poly Drifter 4.5) and throughout the research over the last 24hrs I've been side tracked into Smartwaves; so much so I went a looking Today with a view to comparing a Polycraft against a Smartwave here in SEQLD: Unfortunately the PC dealer didn't have any in stock but the SM dealer did...

So here's my dilema: 4.8 Nice with onboard 80l fuel pod but no room up front for the misses to lounge and sun/drink bubbles or even an anchor well and can I really bolt on a cubby at a later date? Max HP of 60 but the dealer is offering a 50 as super fast..?

Then there's the 4.2 which has a front seating area and anchor well but no under floor fuel but by all accounts is a dryer ride

Can anyone offer any advice/experience on the difference between the PC 4.5 and the SM 4.8 and 4.2 please?

So confused :s

Thanks
Rick

koastal
16-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I think poly boats make a lot of sense.
Quiet / easily driven / tough
Always liked the frontrunner from polycraft.

Darren Mc
16-08-2015, 09:10 PM
I remember a thread a fair while ago about a smartwave on here
It was a smaller model than the one your looking at but i think he was having problems with the nose riding to low. It was suggested that a hooked hull was to blame, but i don't know what the outcome was.

daveo17
17-08-2015, 07:48 AM
i sold that smartwave after i fixed it. wouldn't recommend buying one go the polycraft there a better build

D1vemaster
17-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Wow, that's the first negative post I've read. What other concerns did you have?

daveo17
17-08-2015, 05:21 PM
shotty seat clips that came loose , poor quality rails, and the hooked hull that was caused by a lack of foam. smartwave did try and help me but it took a long time because there based in newzealand and i had to wait for the owner to make a trip over here. but keep in mind i am talking about the 3500 not the 4200 .

D1vemaster
17-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Ok mate, thanks for the heads up; the search goes on :)

TheRealAndy
18-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I owned a 4.55 Polycraft Centre Console. I dont look after my gear very well, and the polycraft never had an issue with that. I buy stuff to use it.

Anyway, for the lack of love the Poly was the best small boat I have ever owned and I sincerely regret selling it. If I can pick a few faults, the design is a bit 80's, and the bow tends to push a bit of water, so always opt for the largest motor option. Once on the plane its no issue. They are wet, but only because you would have been long gone in a tinnie, but still on the water in the polycraft. And because of the dual skin (side affect of roto-moulded boats) they lack storage space.