PDA

View Full Version : Storing 4 stroke outboard

No Fear
15-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Posting for a mate- he has a 12 month old 4 stroke 150 hp and wants to take it off the current hull and store it for 18 months or so while he gets a new hull built. He's found a buyer for the old hull which is a little deposit for the new one. Motor is still under warranty so will take to the installer to remove and box up. With both of us not being mechanically minded, I'm assuming storing for this decent period of time isn't a major concern? Anyone know of any concerns/risks of doing this or is this a pretty common practice?

Dan5
15-08-2015, 11:17 PM
Have a look through the manual.........there will most likely be a section on "Winterizing".......they do this in many cold climate countries for storage during winter.

White Pointer
18-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Posting for a mate- he has a 12 month old 4 stroke 150 hp and wants to take it off the current hull and store it for 18 months or so while he gets a new hull built. He's found a buyer for the old hull which is a little deposit for the new one. Motor is still under warranty so will take to the installer to remove and box up. With both of us not being mechanically minded, I'm assuming storing for this decent period of time isn't a major concern? Anyone know of any concerns/risks of doing this or is this a pretty common practice?

G'day,

Contact a dealer for the brand of engine and ask them if they can save a packing crate from a similar sized engine. They will give it to you because they usually have to pay to dump them. They have the lifting gear to do this safely and without damage.

Get them to take off the engine, clean the fuel lines and injectors, wash it thoroughly and apply a barrier and bolt it into the crate. Get them to remove the rigging kit because they know how to do it, seal the fuel intake on the engine and fuel line on the boat, remove the prop and box it - and it should store OK until you're ready to put it back to work.

Regards,

White Pointer

scottar
18-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Other thing that might be worth doing if it can still be run is running something like salt away or macs through it a few times prior to storage. My Dad lost an outboard through not running for a couple of years due to corrosion damage in this manner.