PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Theving B......

gazza2006au
14-08-2015, 07:29 PM
my cousin has been looking for a carby for his outboard for some months now and i found one for him on ebay the auction is still current so my cousin sent a few msg's back and forth than made a bank transfer, bloke is saying no payment received and correct bank details bugger, my cousin is out of pocket a couple hundred bucks

so many shady people online u cant trust anyone these days, money hungry greedy people

i feel bad because i recommended this ebayer >:(

mitch_wahoo
14-08-2015, 07:45 PM
That's why you should do it through paypal and not direct deposit. If done through paypal they would sort it out and refund the money.

robfish 1
14-08-2015, 09:24 PM
If your cousin can get his bank to confirm the money transfer went through correctly, then advise the seller that the matter will be reported to ACORN, unless the carbie is forthcoming.
http://www.acorn.gov.au/
This is the government department for online fraud. I've used them in the past, and they DO take internet purchase fraud seriously! The report can be filed online.
But as gazza said, use paypal only from now on.

gazza2006au
14-08-2015, 10:11 PM
my cousin is a cash over the counter person so he went to the sellers bank and deposited the money, i should really have asked the seller to list a separate auction with a buy now price

Darren Mc
15-08-2015, 01:08 AM
Sorry to say but the poor bugger is way to trusting. Sadly you just can't really tell who you can trust these days so i reckon don't trust anyone. Always carry out transactions as if the other bloke is a theiving prick.
I'm sure you know this but you might have to educate your cousin a bit.

robfish 1
15-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Surely then, he could again go to the same bank, request a printout of that transaction, then visit ACORN's website...since he'd have proof of the payment? The very act of telling the seller that he's being investigated just may turn the tables. Yes, it's a long shot, but apart from turning up on the seller's doorstep with baseball bats, there's really no other option - unless your cousin is prepared to chalk it up to experience.
As others have said...he needs a lesson in trust in today's world.

Steeler
15-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Just throwing it out there but was a reference used for the deposit ?. If so it could very well take a day or two before it appears. Only if no reference was used at the time of the deposit will it appear straight away just as if the seller made the deposit himself.

Just a thought.

fisho64
16-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Sounds a little like your cousin and the seller were trying to bypass Ebay fees-might be wrong?
If the auction is still current and then its sold outside ebay to someone who contacted via Ebay...

gazza2006au
16-08-2015, 12:37 PM
yeah the deal was done outside of ebay i do a bit of buying and selling this way on ebay over the past 12 years

4x4frog
16-08-2015, 12:54 PM
I agree, just go to the seller's bank, request a statement printout for the deposit.
Did he keep a receipt he was given as proof?

As mentioned, treat everyone as untrustable and document it ALL so you have a fighting chance

gazza2006au
16-08-2015, 01:09 PM
yeah he kept the deposit receipt ivetold him to go back to the bank tomorrow (monday) and explain he put the money into the wrong account and hopefully they'll refund him

Fed
16-08-2015, 01:34 PM
You forgot to say he put the money in the wrong account Gazza, no wonder the seller won't send it.

gazza2006au
16-08-2015, 02:11 PM
You forgot to say he put the money in the wrong account Gazza, no wonder the seller won't send it.

no Fed, he will need to say it was deposited into the wrong account otherwise the bank wont give back the refund

maybe if my cousin explains he was ripped off they may refund it but highly doubtable they'll say take it up with consumer affairs or something like that which will take months to resolve