PDA

View Full Version : Pfd's with rotting straps

terryc
08-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Just checking my Pfd's type 1 zipper front with collar, and have found 3 with rotting straps, These have not been used purchased new 4 yrs ago, and kept in the boat under cover.
I went back with receipt in hand to place of purchase and they advised 12 months old nothing can be done.
My main concern is the safety factor, even though these jackets look brand new the straps are crumbling. I've got other jackets that are over 10 years old and the straps are still good.
I'm just putting this out there as a warning to check your straps our lives may have to depend on them.
regards terry

Aussie123
08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
They are deemed illegal so if they are the primary jackets on the boat you will need to replace them.
Moldy jackets are also deemed illegal so you gotta be careful when storing them under deck

Noelm
09-08-2015, 06:09 AM
Very common with cheaply made imported jackets, almost all of those brick type ones you get as standard equipment with new boats will barely last a year.

terryc
09-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Yes "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten", Ive already removed these from the boat, just wanted to bring it to light as they look so good but its only evident when you grab the straps and test them.