PDA

View Full Version : mounting transducers to fibreglass boat

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I need to remount some trannies to my boat. I have had the old holes all filled by Arnold while my boat was there getting some work. I have been reading about it and wanted to get your opinion.

There are a couple of products out of the USA called "sternmate" and "stern saver" These are fairly dear but essentially are a fancy mounting block with an adhesive meaning no screws need to be placed through the transom.

Other schools of thought are over drilling holes, filling with epoxy, letting it go off, then mounting with sikaflex.

I was also thinking of getting a plastic type board, and gluing this onto the transom with sikaflex and perhaps a couple of screws with the method described above.

What do you blokes reckon.

scottar
06-08-2015, 01:05 PM
If you want to mount trannies on your boat that's your prerogative :o, but I'd get a new tilted element transducer and put it through the hull if you have a spot for it - no transducer hanging off the back to let water in or get busted off on a ramp or sandbank or get caught in fishing lines or crab pot ropes and no screw holes.

Rip it up
06-08-2015, 01:42 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/05/379be74561166078a10fc3ed251d5774.jpg

I cheated.

Go to any kitchen cabinet maker and ask for an off cut of their engineered stone product.

I choose the lightest color they had.

Then I route red the edges. And epoxied it to the gelcoat. A little 40grit scuff up first.

You can drill and tap your holes first if you know where you need them. But they fill with epoxy.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 01:46 PM
If you want to mount trannies on your boat that's your prerogative :o, but I'd get a new tilted element transducer and put it through the hull if you have a spot for it - no transducer hanging off the back to let water in or get busted off on a ramp or sandbank or get caught in fishing lines or crab pot ropes and no screw holes. yeah not an option mate, I have and LSS structure scan to fit to it but thanks for the suggestion

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 01:48 PM

I cheated.

Go to any kitchen cabinet maker and ask for an off cut of their engineered stone product.

Then I route red the edges. And epoxied it to the gelcoat. A little 40grit scuff up first.

You can drill and tap your holes first if you know where you need them. But they fill with epoxy.

Damo, brilliant, what product did you use to attach it to the gelcoat, that is just what I am looking for, thanks so much.

Rip it up
06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Simple epoxy resin. Mixed with cabosil to thicken it.

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 02:37 PM
what brand of epoxy damo, sorry I bit of a kook when it comes to these things, might ask Mick, he will know

Almako
06-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Looks like compact laminate

I cheated.

Rip it up
06-08-2015, 07:09 PM
I believe this one was called corian. There is many different brands.
Cesarstone, essastone, quantum Quartz the list goes on.

But corian is a little softer than the others.

This one was a polymer based fake stone product. Cool material. Can be cut with circular saw. Routered like a hardwood.

Drill and tap like steel. Just a little brittle with the tapped threads. So take it easy.

I liked it so much I picked up a few more off cuts and used it on my bait table and other areas. Doesn't smash the knifes up and cleans easier than Teflon cutting board. Even squid ink washes off.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/06/35f70317a9f9d9561f1b07e564e3bbe0.jpg

robothefisho
06-08-2015, 07:12 PM
If you want to bond a board to your transom to then screw into, a product by soudal called t rex powerbond will never come off. It literally will pull gelcoat off first. Remove with braid to saw off behind board. Much stronger than sikaflex.

hainsofast
Damo, legend, check your PMs dude

hainsofast
and thanks for all the info

Shark Poker
06-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Damo, why did you choose this over something as simple as alum box section or thick alum plate?

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks again Damo, I will be sourcing this product and mounting up, will put pics up once done, great idea.

Berger4
06-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Hainsofast
I managed to get one of the sternsavers/stenmates from the US about a year ago for around $70. Way over priced at that price and very easy to make if you have the material. All it is a apiece of Starboard plastic that has been drilled and tapped much like what Damo did with the stone and then glued to the transom with 2 part epoxy. If you can find some UV resistant HDPE plastic you can make one pretty easy, if you can't then give me a PM and I might be able to help if you are interested. I like Damo's idea same s---t different bucket.

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 07:52 PM
yeah was looking at the sternmates, but I got to mount a p66 on one side and another tranny and LSS structure scan on the other, would have ended up costing over $300 delivered and the extended sternmate doesn't give you the 300mm you need between the trannies. Thanks for the offer, might try and source the same shit Damo did first and if not will hit you up, bloody unreal idea, great info.

Berger4
06-08-2015, 08:02 PM
You probably don't need one piece but 2 smaller bits the right distance apart would do the job.

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
yeah I would need three all up, I think they are 120 USD each, so I would need three, and postage, would be nearly $400 bux AUD

Berger4
06-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Jeez you have more trannies then the Sydney Mardi Gras.

hainsofast
06-08-2015, 09:07 PM
one for the furuno, and two for the simrad, including LSS structure scan

Almako
06-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Corian or compact laminate yes.
Cesarstone, essastone, quantum Quartz not a chance they are solid stone, these are also Brand names not individual products. A bit like saying go and buy a ford, yeah but which one.

Rip it up
06-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Shark poker, I went with a product that was available at a cheap price and blended into the colour of the transom.
Aluminium probably would have worked but stainless screws always has electrolysis issues with your mounting hardware.

So an inert material was the best solution. And it will live on the transom for years to come. And if I want to re drill a new transducer on in a few years I can plug the old holes with epoxy and drill new ones.

I'm sure there is plenty of waterproof products that you would use this method for. As the surface area of the epoxy is massive and would need tonnes of force to remove. It's the materials comparability with epoxy you need to check.

Most plastics don't like epoxy, such as HDPE, Teflon etc. so just test any pieces on something scrap first.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.

gofishin
07-08-2015, 03:28 AM
... Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.Damo, I don't know if it's just me, but your signature always reads to me like you have a 'boat building repair shop' which is "dodgy" - but this is not the intended meaning I assume :) :).

I think you mean you have a 'boat building and repair shop' for "dodgy boats/previous dodgy repair methods (by other builders/DIY etc etc)"

Yes/no??

Or is it just sleep deprivation getting to me :), and others think there is nothing wrong with your Marketing Slogan ? :)

Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip it up
07-08-2015, 03:35 AM
Your sleep deprived adaption of my signature is some what correct.
Damo's - meaning an ownership of Damo.
Dodgy boat building - meaning any boat building work that is dodgy by manufacturer or previous attempts at repair.
Repair shop - meaning they leave my shop in a better state than they arrived.

But your not the first person to question the signature.

Originally it was simply Damo's dodgy boat repairs. Which some people took as I create dodgy work.

It is in no way an advertisement of my cashie business. I actually don't do work for people I don't know. Most of my work comes direct from friends and work colleges. I just get enough to always have a full shed.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.

gofishin
07-08-2015, 03:47 AM
Sounds like a good enough reason for a competition for a "new slogan for Damo"...

At least it will give as all something to do... bit slow round here otherwise lately!

Prize is a carton, err a six pack, err I mean some free advice for boat repairs 'which is in no way dodgy' :)
Cheers

Rip it up
07-08-2015, 03:49 AM
I am happy to hear the suggestion trail. The train of thought could be more entertaining than the slogan.

gofishin
08-08-2015, 08:41 AM
1. "Damo's boat building repair shop - nothing's too dodgy for me to fix".

2. "Damo's boat building repair shop - I fix other people's dodgy work"

3. "Damo's boat building repair shop - the exterminator of dodgy work" :) :)