PDA

View Full Version : Drum Winch motor offset.

Lovey80
24-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a drum winch in a anchor well where the motor for the winch has been removed and refitted so that the motor sits inside the boat and connects to the drum through a small hole in the side of the anchor well? Hope I have explained that well enough?

Two reasons I ask is. The anchor well may be too small to fit the whole set up inside the well so by retro fitting it so the motor sits inside the cabin I should have enough space. Secondly, I like the idea of the motor not being exposed to the elements on the front of the boat.

scottar
24-07-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm sure it could be done. You would just need to check with your manufacturer that there would be no warranty issues with you taking the motor off and putting it back on.

Marchy001
24-07-2015, 09:20 PM
The winch I installed recently has holes drilled every 45deg so it could be mounted at varying angles to suit different wells. By what you have said you may need an extended mounting flange for the gearbox but I'm sure that would be achievable, shaft may need to be a bit longer also. Best bet would be talk to whoever your looking at getting the winch from and see what they can do.

LittleSkipper
25-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a drum winch in a anchor well where the motor for the winch has been removed and refitted so that the motor sits inside the boat and connects to the drum through a small hole in the side of the anchor well? Hope I have explained that well enough?

Two reasons I ask is. The anchor well may be too small to fit the whole set up inside the well so by retro fitting it so the motor sits inside the cabin I should have enough space. Secondly, I like the idea of the motor not being exposed to the elements on the front of the boat.

The motors on modern anchor winches are designed to be exposed to the elements.

See below of my stressfree mounted on a polished stainless steel plate above my anchor well.

No complaints here about it being exposed, let me tell you! No more deploying or lifting the anchor up/down by hand.....and arms....and back....and legs etc.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/dfcae529758f9cff1e005aab67a487c9.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/49c469c9ca6f1cbab055ac8d6be95554.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/1474830f49cb2762e8d9c9d964594253.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jarrah Jack
25-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I've mounted my winch with the motor turned around so no problem in that regard. I put my motor sticking up through the hatch and made a new hatch to suit.

30ort06
25-07-2015, 03:08 PM
mine is sticking through the anchor well as you described.
unfortunately I didn't do it , came like that when I boughtthe boat.
just need to remember to have enough clearance between motorand boat as everything flexes under stress.
then fill the gap with silicon to keep water out.

Gozz
25-07-2015, 04:32 PM
I fitted a stress free to my mates bar crashed years ago and the winch was mounted in the anchor well while the motor stuck through the back wall as it was the only way the whole unit would fit.
The older model bar crushers had small wells and it was fairly hard to fit winches.
This boat was an 560 where as my other mate has a 530 BC and he had to mount the winch on top of his anchor well.
Its got to be close to 10 years old and still going strong.

Shark Poker
27-07-2015, 05:37 PM
LittleSkipper, your installation looks really good.
Unbelievably awesome Hatch, by the way!