PDA

View Full Version : Weipa land based

Marchy001
21-07-2015, 06:50 PM
As luck would have it work are sending me to Weipa for 10 days. Obviously I'm pretty happy as I like fishing and I've never been there. Taking a few rods and mostly luring land based. Anyone able to offer me anything to get me started regarding locations to try?

Might track down a boat if I get a decent break but mostly will be short lure sessions close to town.

banksmister
22-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Behind the Albatross pub, of the bridge- just be mindful of the snappy-snappies one guy lost his leg a few years ago behind the pub.
Go see the guys at tackleworld [behind woolworths] they will give you the gossip.
Just be careful in regards to caring rods on the Qantaslink flight [cairns to weipa] think they charge $70 for rods,
may be cheaper if you pre book $35?

caught this south of weipa

This was on the eastern side, 5-6m snappy, circled in red.

MickS
22-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Heaps of good land based fishing in Weipa. Mission bridge is good with lures. The various wharfs and jetties offer good fishing. Saw a guy from a customs boat get smashed by a big queenie from a wharf, and he was fishing with a fly rod. If you get time and find someone to take you inland offers Saratoga, Jungle Perch etc. I love fishing Weipa, heaps of different options.

Short Fuse
22-07-2015, 02:49 PM
As said above, Weipa does offer some good land based opportunities. Plenty of fish caught from the Evans Landing Jetty, but access can be limited at times, particularly if a fuel ship is tied up alongside and unloading.

You can walk the bank from the Evans Landing ramp around to and just past Goombung Point. Lots of grunter and other species caught along this stretch at times by the locals, although they mostly use bait.

Another spot worth a try is around the Rocky Point boat ramp. Better water there on the top half of the tide, with lots of species including barra to be caught there at times. The cement "pontoon" at the start of the Mission River Bridge is also popular for good reasons. Plenty of barra, king and blue salmon caught there of a night time. Black rubber tails a very popular choice in this location. Just cast to the edge of the bridge lights and wind back slowly.

The only thing that will limit your ability to access these spots is whether you will have use of a vehicle while you are there. If you have and its a 4WD , its worth a drive out to Stones Crossing on the Wenlock at this time of the year. Sooties, Saratoga and barra are common catches from the banks out there. As always in the north, use common sense and be croc aware at all times.

Make contact with the local tackle shop, and another option would be to make contact with the Weipa Sportfishing Club before you go. A lot of the members work for Rio and therefore have shifts that give them time to fish mid week and of an evening. No guarantees, but one of the members may just be willing to take you for a fish while you are there.

Cheers

Jeff

PROS
22-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I did a week long charter few years ago with Fish's,
great people and guides were full of knowledge both fly, lure and bait fishing
Croc sighting was common, be mindful of them please

Caught over 50 species in a week, one of the best fishing I ever experience with different techniques

Max

Marchy001
22-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.
Finally finished packing the fishing gear just need a set of clothes or two then a few hours sleep and I'm away.
Sounds like we have a boat sorted so that's a bonus. Time restraints will still mean I do more land based but sat and sun this weekend should be fishing days if we can knock over what we need to.

Will write a little story if the fishing is worth typing about.

Cheers

Marchy

Meterplus
25-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey Marchy001,

How'd you go ? Did you get out on the boat for a fish ?

Marchy001
25-07-2015, 11:48 PM
No boat. Been trying a few spots without much luck.
Dropped a couple of barra tonight under the bridge 5mins north of mission bridge so that's a start.
Running out of spots to try. Lack of water/tide seems to be making life difficult.
Well that's my excuse.

GBC
26-07-2015, 05:48 AM
Out past the dump there's a few tracks into a rocky point. We always did well there on the slack water.

Marchy001
03-08-2015, 02:34 PM
So my trip to Weipa has been and gone. Being a work trip fishing was squeezed in when possible and rarely at good times for tide and wind so that limited success.
However I had a blast and managed to score a few fish.

Spots tried were, ship loader and the point to it's south, Evans landing jetty, andoom bridge, mission bridge, beach in front of albatross, mission river behind the base, penny father beach, Cullen point.

Mission bridge provided the most success landed an 85cm barra and a few salmon from there as well as dropping many (10+) solid fish. One barra would have been pushing the magic mark we all strive for but a brain fart on my part saw her swim away after a solid fight. Hooked up to a few large things there that knew exactly where the pylons were and successfully cut me off.

Mission river in the tinny was a good day. Scored a nice jack and fingermark plus many rats ranging from 20-50cm flicking snags.

Now to figure out how and when I can get back there for a fishing trip. A truly amazing part of the country that I can't wait to visit again.

Thanks to all for your advice and ideas and to Meterplus for the offer of a trip out in his tub, Hopefully the weather man is kinder next time.

Cheers

Marchyhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/02/c848d61fc6a9f2e60968dc78fb242d8e.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/02/abbe97984ecaf73bae5256d03f598f19.jpg