PDA

View Full Version : Anchor rope knotting up

Andgri
16-07-2015, 12:22 PM
I have a 4.6 Clark navigator with front steer and lean through windscreen to get to the anchor well.

I've become an expert at getting my anchor rope all knotted up, and as a boating novice I often find it fairly urgent to get that anchor down and stuck in the sand as quickly as possible.

Does anyone have ideas for stopping the rope from getting knotted up. I don't mind drillingholes and bolting things on.

Would apprecite any ideas... even bad ones.

regards
Andy

aussiebasser
16-07-2015, 12:46 PM
get a big swivel and put it between the rope and the chain.

Oceanic Dave
16-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Take all your anchor rope out and lay it out. Get rid of all knots etc.

Then I put it all back like your picking up a hose, but lay it nice in the anchor well. That's how I have done it with all my boats and I never get a knot.

WHen you drop the anchor the rope should fall in smoothly. When you bring it back up, bring it up the same way and lay the rope out in circles.

Oceanic Dave
16-07-2015, 12:54 PM
This is how I do it

TheRealAndy
16-07-2015, 05:33 PM
I always run a new anchor line out the back of the boat whilst underway (with no anchor or chain attached of course). Get it wet and let in find its natural twist.

bugsytwoshoes
16-07-2015, 05:34 PM
New rope has to be stretched before use. Try doubleing rope up and put it under extreme tension and leave it that way for a day or two , we tied the rope around a solid object ( tree/ vehicle ) and tied other end to another vehicle and pulled it up to full tension and left it for as long as you can. Depends how much room you have and how long the rope is.

scuttlebutt
17-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Use a swivel, make sure it's stainless. The gal ones don't spin as well.

Noelm
19-07-2015, 06:12 PM
You don't need a swivel, get the rope untwisted, and just make sure how you lay it back in the anchor well.

Chimo
19-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Rope has a natural lay to it.

Explore this and identify it and use it to your advantage.

It sounds like you are doing exactly the reverse to your anchor warp (rope) hence its getting knotted up.

Practice coiling it on land. If you have identified the lay you will find the rope will fall into nice straight loops especially if you give each loop a twist with your thumb as you "loop"

Cheers
Chimo

Care and Maintenance
Uncoiling New Cordage

Below 48 mm the rope can be taken direct from the inside of the coil. This will maintain its protective wrapping. With right handed rope the coil should be stood on the end which will allow the rope to be taken off left handed from the inside. (See Fig 8.15).
http://www.splashmaritime.com.au/Marops/data/text/Seamantex/Introtex_files/image030.gif
Figure 8.15

Uncoiling the rope in the wrong direction will insert twist and increase the danger of kinking.

Coiling

Always coil ropes in the direction of Lay,
ie., Left hand (L.H.) lay anti-clockwise
Right hand (R.H.) lay clockwise

http://www.splashmaritime.com.au/Marops/data/text/Seamantex/Introtex_files/image032.gif

Two methods of finishing coils are shown in Fig 8.16.
Figure 8.16

http://www.splashmaritime.com.au/Marops/data/text/Seamantex/Introtex_files/image034.gif

To avoid problems in paying out a rope, it should be flaked down, see Fig 8.17. This avoids it becoming tangled or kinked.Figure 8.17

http://www.splashmaritime.com.au/Marops/data/text/Seamantex/Introtex_files/image036.gif

A fancy way to finish a rope is with a Flemish Coil. It SHOULD ONLY be used for tidiness and never when required to render quickly through a block, see Fig. 8.18.Figure 8.18
Before cutting the desired length of rope, whippings should be applied close to each side of the intended cut. Failure to observe this precaution can cause excessive unlaying of the rope.

scottar
19-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a good excuse for an anchor winch. At least that's what I would be telling the minister for war and finance.

russ71
19-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I used to use a plastic garden hose reel to hold my rope, and the chain sat in the anchor well, held it down with a jockey strap connected to the bow rail. Too easy, and no knotting up.
I know have a stress free winch.

Russ

Andgri
19-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your effort in replying. I'm a newbie and very much appreciate your assistance. I'll try a bucket with a cone in the middle, and if that does not work I will go the hose winder from Masters.

GBC
23-07-2015, 09:17 AM
It sounds like really cheap rope. Better to get a proper length of silver anchor rope. Drag it behind the boat for a little bit to wet it and set it and you wont have any problems just keeping it in the anchor locker. Keep it simple.