PDA

View Full Version : Repowering the old girl....

ShaneC
13-07-2015, 09:12 PM
G'day all,

I don't post on here often these days however I have always posted info that could be beneficial to fellow fishos.

I decided a couple of months ago that it was time to put new motors on my 2700 Noosa Cat. It was always going to be an expensive exercise, replacing two 150 hp four strokes is no cheap feat and I put in many hours getting quotes, researching the net, looking up boat tests and squirreling away cashys from the Mrs to make it happen.

The motors I was replacing (150 four stroke Yams with 1800 hrs on them) were faultless, and I had nothing but reliable service out of them, but I still paid due diligence and chased up all the manufacturers in order to find the best deal for me.

My original plan was to get new Yammys. I have three boats, all Yammy powered and they are a brilliant motor. But my 'brand loyalty' extends as far as who could give me the best deal......

A good mate mentioned getting a quote for Hondas. I must admit I had not considered them but I contacted Garry from Silver Service Marine for a quote and was pleasantly surprised. I am posting this with Garry's permission and with 100% honesty....

- Garry was not the cheapest option I had, however after speaking to him and understanding the level of after sales support, I was impressed.

- Garry and his team removed my old motors, palletted them up for me and helped me facilitate the transport to their new owner which took a lot of pressure off me as I had no idea how to do it.

- There were a few times when I stitched Garry up, my work can be pretty inconsiderate when it comes to timeframes, and I could not always have the boat in his workshop when I said I would, the man has patience......

- The fitout was neat and complete, Garry and his son took the time to explain all the functions of the motors to me, which was great because I would have had no clue if they didn't.

- Thus far..... I have racked up 8 hrs on the motors, mainly doing family trips and donuts to run the motors in and I am very impressed. I need to play with the engine heights a bit, so they will only get better.

I cannot post fuel figures at this point in time because I have not run the boat with the weight that it generally has on board but so far the results are very promising. I think I will have a 15%-20% improvement on fuel consumption, time will tell.

Just thought I would share my experience with everyone, I never thought I would have Hondas hanging off my boat, but I do now and I am pretty happy with my decision.

Any questions just ask.....

soulfish
14-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Looking at that window of weather mate up north you might rack up a few more hours...I would definantly consider them also going by your fuel saving & the fact your swinging 4 blades compared to me not being able to swing a pair of 4 blades (that I have found thus far) on my 150 yammys..on my 2700 the solas 4 blades felt awesome from the lift & grip they provided but they were heavier on fuel & didn't quite get the revs I was after..

Spaniard_King
14-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the support Shane.

I would also like to mention Shane now has 3 years comercial warranty compared to all the other brands 12 month warranty :)

ShaneC
18-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks for looking after me Garry, was a pleasure from my end even though I know it was somewhat trying for you when I had the brainiac idea to play with my pods when the Yammies came off which held everything up.

I forgot to mention the warranty offered by Honda, which along with the convenience of mobile servicing was my main reason for going the way I did.

I went for a run today with the family and a couple of fat mates to add a few hours running time on the motors to get icecreams and we averaged around 1L per km for both motors with enough weight on board for full tanks + 100kg. Thats about 300kg lighter than the boat is at its heaviest where I used to average 1.4- 1.6L per km, sometimes a bit better, sometimes worse, but I am pretty confident that I will see a significant improvement. I dont want to fill the boat in case I have to tow it.

Still think I need to play with heights and props a touch, but thats easy, they may need spray plates but thats easy too, that is the picky bit of me coming out though and I am pretty bloody impressed thus far...

Cheers.

gofishin
19-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Can't complain about those figures Shane, especially as you should see a little more improvement when you have them broken in I guess. That's quite an improvement in economy, bet you have got Jason thinking now ... :)
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaneC
19-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Yeah mate but the true test will come when the boat is locked and loaded with everything for a three or four day trip. Thats the state of the boat most of the time and I have only been mucking around with the boat being light to crack up some hours and spend some time with the fam.... I hope beyond hope that I can give it a long run loaded up soon. If this wind keeps blowing it might all be for sale haha...

gofishin
19-07-2015, 04:27 PM
How does she compare lightships to how she performed with the yams? Or has it been that long since you ran it light with the yams that you cant remember:) :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaneC
20-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Yeah Brendan she is very rarely light. Only times its not fully loaded is to do a quick one dayer off Brissie or something where I might not fill the tanks and just take enough for the day and I bit of a reserve. Even then I dont really take a lot of notice with what the boat is using, I know what I need for the day and just take that. Hopefully with a bit of decent weather I can get a day in soon and have a better idea.

fisho64
20-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Is it a commercial boat then? What sort of work do you use it for?
I am curious about the Tohatsu version of the Honda, are they cheaper or different in any way?

koastal
20-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Hi ShaneC

What is the length weight of your catamaran. Do you think i should consider these motors to re-power a 2640 glacier bay. Sounds like you have a high opinion of your dealer, which i value ?

ShaneC
20-07-2015, 09:02 PM
I know nothing about a Tohatsu version of a Honda mate, but having said that I have not done any research down that path so my opinion would be pretty uneducated. I did not even know Tohatsu had a four stroke....

Koastal, having never been on a 2640 Glacier I would be hesitant to comment on that as well. My boat is a heavy boat by virtue of its usage. Its often loaded up well over a ton heavier than its dry weight which makes it hard to estimate with confidence but I would think all bombed up would hit the best part of 4 tonne on the water. She is 8.2m long going by her registered length.

I would certainly consider the 150 Hondas as a very viable option mate, my main reason for going that way was the warranty offered and if your boat is being pushed by 150s now they will certainly fit the bill.

I was very impressed by Garry's service, he came recommended to me by someone I trust and has delivered on everything I had hoped for and some. I will be looking to Garry in the future to maintain my motors with confidence. But with a bit of research on here I have realised I am not the only one....

Hope this helps with your decision man.

Shane

fisho64
20-07-2015, 09:56 PM
I know nothing about a Tohatsu version of a Honda mate, but having said that I have not done any research down that path so my opinion would be pretty uneducated. I did not even know Tohatsu had a four stroke....

Tohatsu sell Hondas range rebranded as Tohatsu.
Ive been curious whether they are cheaper etc, or even why Honda did it
http://www.tohatsu.com.au/outboardengines/4stroke

Spaniard_King
21-07-2015, 08:46 AM
I believe Honda partnered with Tohatsu to get some of their product into countries that Honda did not have representation.

The Tohatsu product only has a 3 year warranty in Australia where as the same Honda supplied engine now has a 7 year private use warranty

koastal
21-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks Shanec

fisho64
21-07-2015, 10:01 PM
I believe Honda partnered with Tohatsu to get some of their product into countries that Honda did not have representation.

The Tohatsu product only has a 3 year warranty in Australia where as the same Honda supplied engine now has a 7 year private use warranty

is there a significant price difference for the reduced warranty, and is it the same service network?

Spaniard_King
22-07-2015, 10:32 AM
is there a significant price difference for the reduced warranty, and is it the same service network?
The Honda Product is cheaper and The Honda warranty department does not cater for the Tohatu product.

ShaneC
14-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Howdy blokes,

Having just booked the motors in for a service I feel I can now offer a bit of insight with regard to my new motors.....

I have done a few heavily loaded trips (800l of fuel, 300 kg ice, three fat bastards and enough food to feed them) and they have performed well. The first trip was not a fair assessment of the motors, they were a hole too low and whilst they performed well the boat wanted to drag her bum at any speed below 18 knots and wallow like a pig. We lifted the motors, played with the props a bit and got her right. The subsequent trips have left me very impressed.

What I can say is this. After 132 hrs of use, I have had no dramas with them, they have performed well and I have noticed a significant fuel saving. In a recent trip from Scarborough to an area well wide of Mooloolaba I used 250 litres for the day, with my old motors using 260 litres just to get there and back in the same conditions. I generally use 50-60l a day sounding around so at this point in time I can confidently say I am saving 15-20% on my fuel costs, and I am pretty happy with that!! I cannot comment on usage for my trips up north as no two are ever the same and fuel used depends on what the fish are doing. But all in all, I am very happy with my decision thus far...

Hope this helps someone in their decision. Cheers.....