PDA

View Full Version : Scam with the PayPal angle.

Darren Mc
13-07-2015, 09:05 PM
A bloke i work with is selling his hilux and got an email which is obviously a scam. You know the usual, would like to talk in person but i've got bad reception here , will pay using PayPal and get a courier to pick up the car. Also is happy with the price and doesn't want to inspect the vehicle at all.
Could someone tell me how they rip you off using PayPal? What's their trick? I've read about it on here before but can't remember.
Thanks.

maru222
14-07-2015, 04:58 AM
start with pay pal ,end up with you depositing money to them
dave

McKnight
14-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Paypal has a history of taking the buyers word over the sellers. So they pay for it through Paypal, pick it up and then lodge a disputed transaction with bogus claims to get their money back. Paypal is really for the buyers protection, don't know how much they protect the seller.

Fed
14-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Darren as I understand it they don't want the car, their trick is to get your mate to pay for the freight up front and they supposedly add the cost of the freight back on to the purchase price.

Let's say the car is $20,000 and the freight is $2,000.
They will send him an email with a link showing they have paid in $22,000 and all your mate has to do is send the freight company (THEM) $2,000 for the deal to go ahead.

Edit: I should add, the link showing they have paid $22,000 is obviously not a real paypal link, only a link to a dodgy page set up by them.

Steeler
14-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Any transaction that does not provide a proof of delivery is open to a possible bogus Paypal dispute from the buyer.

No proof of delivery then not only have you done your item you have also done your money as Paypal freezes those funds from your account the moment the buyer opens a dispute.

Nothing in it for the seller just like when fleabay removed the right of sellers to leave a neg if a buyer took some chasing down to pay for there item if at all.

Steeler
14-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Darren as I understand it they don't want the car, their trick is to get your mate to pay for the freight up front and they supposedly add the cost of the freight back on to the purchase price.

They will send him an email with a link showing they have paid in $22,000 and all your mate has to do is send the freight company (THEM) $2,000 for the deal to go ahead.

This in a nutshell on big ticket items.

Good post and explanation

jmwarner
14-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Had a friend that runs a sports memorabilia store ship a moto racing suit to the states and with what it cost he obviously got tracking. Tracking showed it as delivered but the buyer was saying he never received it. Paypal went in the buyers favor even though it had been delivered but when the exact same suit popped up on the buyers page for sale and he didn't even bother to take new pictures which made it quite obvious. Paypal didn't want to have anything to do with it they said the ticket had been closed and there was nothing they would do. Now the guy has the fraud police in the states after him but considering the seller pays paypal for the transaction the help he got was absolute crap.

Darren Mc
14-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the info guy's. I'll pass it on.

PROS
14-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Money is not the only aim by the scammers.

Personal id info worth as much as gold.
They will ask you to forward info such as name, address, birthdate, mob, your favourite pets name, etc....
All these info and your valid email address is worth money to sell to marketing companies or other scammers trying to hack in to accounts.

If you even reply to these dodgy emails, you are validating your email as current and will start getting spams very soon

Max

tropicrows
14-07-2015, 01:15 PM
I had a similar thing with PayPal. I purchased an item that was not what they stated it was and you only have 28 days to lodge a claim with PayPal. By the time you send a few emails and the seller say they would replace the item, your 28 days is up and then the seller does nothing as they have your funds and PayPal don't want to know about.

Seahorse
14-07-2015, 01:20 PM
CASH only.
When i sold boats, jet ski whatever, if they didnt have cash dont bother, even if it took an extra day or 2.

jmwarner
14-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I had a similar thing with PayPal. I purchased an item that was not what they stated it was and you only have 28 days to lodge a claim with PayPal. By the time you send a few emails and the seller say they would replace the item, your 28 days is up and then the seller does nothing as they have your funds and PayPal don't want to know about.

I think the increased it. Could be wrong but may be up to 90 days now

Oceanic Dave
14-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Hate PayPal!!!!!!

the gecko
15-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Edit: I should add, the link showing they have paid $22,000 is obviously not a real paypal link, only a link to a dodgy page set up by them.

Exactly. To get you to pay frieght is the goal of the scammer. Dont forget that this is common on gumtree as well as crimebay.

If you must deal in paypal instead of cash, then the best defence is to wait until the paypal funds are in your account, and then transfer the funds to your bank account the next day. Then I would move it to a second bank account that isnt linked with paypal, so they cant do a reverse debit. That way if there is a false claim against you, you can simply close your paypal account, and tell them to take civil action. Of course scammers never send real funds, only false reciepts for pretend deposits.

Im not afraid of buying and selling items online. Ive bought and sold a few cars and an outboard motor without being in person. In each case, the price was good enough to warrant the buyer putting funds and frieght into a bank account, after a few id checks. I bought an outboard from Gumtree in Darwin without going there, but I got a Yamaha dealer to go and check the motor before I put $4000 into the buyers bank account.

Andrew

LittleSkipper
19-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Hate PayPal!!!!!!

Maybe that's why eBay & PayPal are about to become separate companies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fisho64
19-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Maybe that's why eBay & PayPal are about to become separate companies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no they were forced to by regulators I believe