PDA

View Full Version : West Pupua, should I bother?

MangroveZac
13-07-2015, 07:51 PM
The ebb and flow of life has seen me wash up in west Papua (Indonesia) for the next couple years. I have seen some blogs of adventure anglers chasing barra and toga in the billabongs of the upper reaches of the expansive estuaries along the southern coast. Getting to know and experience the local tribal culture in this way is defiantly on my 'to do' list, but further toward the top of said list is the mighty black bass. Can anyone tell me if the black bass of PNG also inhabits the coasts of west Papua? North or South Coast? And if anyone has had any experience of the fishing available in west Papua or around the estuaries of timika?

youngy
14-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Zac is Tamika anywhere near the Fly River, cheers Wayne

aussiebasser
14-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Yes, Black Bass exist in West Papua. There is a French guy who runs trips from Kaimana, Oliver Helloco, this is his web site http://www.papuaspecimens.com/. There is also a young guy called Teddy Nugroho Pamungkas who operates out of Biak Papua, an island to the north of West Papua. I'm hopeful of visiting there next year. At Biak Paua you will also find Spot Tail Bass, on the southern coast of West Papua you'll get Barramundi and Black Bass.

Look for Teddy or Biak_papua fishing on Facebook.

edit; just had a look at Google Earth. Dude, you will have a blast chasing massive Barra and Black Bass.

BA22
15-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Very lucky to be based there, heard stories of a lot of Barra over a metre and large Black Bass. Fishing Wild magazine has published some good articles on West Papua.

http://bestfishingwebsites.com.au/listing-category/travel-charters-guides-asia-indonesia/

MangroveZac
15-07-2015, 01:18 PM
No not really youngy but on the south coast still.

MangroveZac
15-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Aussiebasser, thanks for the tips and contacts, ill look into it. Hopefully once i get to know some people around the place ill pick up some local knowledge and maybe a few spots then i might be able to return the favor of a few tips if your coming over this direction.

aussiebasser
15-07-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm jealous as hell.

youngy
16-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks Zac, i know they are in big numbers around the Fly River area, we have a trip booked there in September.
From what the other guys have said they are in your area as well, you will have a great time those Black Bass are one amazing fish, cheers wayne

MangroveZac
16-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Hey Wayne, yep looks like I'll be able to get amongst a few and tick that off my bucket list. Good luck in September and be sure to post some photos and let me know how you go. Good luck mate

liprippa
19-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Hey mangrovezac are you living in Timika? I lived in Tembags for 6 years and fished there quiet a bit. Black bass are rare in the nearby river systems plus the locals net heavily so the barra population have suffered. I did a extended trip (200ks) similar to what Col Roberts from Fishing Wild did and encountered a dangerous situation with the locals (long story). This place is just amazing, where can you catch barra and have a glacier in the background (on a clear day). Pm me if you want more info.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

MangroveZac
20-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Hey liprippa, yea I will be based in tembagapura as well. Not quite there yet but hopefully in the next couple weeks. In Jakarta at the moment and just doing some research. I would like to go adventuring but also I have a young family who all love wetting a line a I don't think I'd risk taking them out too far into the unknown. If you have any further info or tips it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Zac.

liprippa
20-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Zac, who do you work for and where will you be working? I was there with my family and regularly went fishing with my boys from 6yo. Most times traveled between 20 and 50ks through the rivers and along the coast and camped overnight in a 16ft tinny. Yes it was probably dangerous but we did catch shit loads of barra, we did learn technics to avoid the locals. They never complained and had there hand up everytime i went but getting a wet arse takes some getting use to kids or adults. Its much the same as the bloody Amazon. The options for fishing are to hire a dug out canoe but expect the price you negotiated at the beginning of yhe day will change dramatically by the end of the day. Or know someone working at portside with company boat access or there is a few with personal boats as well.

MangroveZac
20-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks liprippa, PM'd you back but looks like your inbox is full. Like you say I'll just follow my nose and hope the experienced blokes over there can lend a hand as well.

liprippa
20-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Got your message but cant reply. would be best to pm me your email only if you want.