PDA

View Full Version : Fuel line route, is it safe, opinions please

desertislander
13-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi guys, just renewing my Merc outboard fuel line on my Haines Signature 5.4 since it still has the original line on it dated from 2002 when the boat was new !, surely way over due?
What surprises me is that the fuel line is routed through the right hand side well wall which also has the battery cable going in the same entry (as well as gear selector cable and Hydrive steering lines) Once through the wall it carries on under the duel batteries and back around to the fuel tank. Althoughm cables and fuel line are good quality and very well sealed I would have thought it was still a risk having them in such close proximity yet it seems this was how it left the factory since there are no other entry holes in say the back of the engine well (which would give it a more direct rout to the tank)
Is this the norm or should I consider running the fuel line in through a completely different entry point
Thanks

scottar
13-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Standard stuff mate. You could change it if you want but provided there is no chance of the fuel line being damaged by the cables I personally wouldn't be concerned. You don't mention a water separator/fuel filter - do you not have one? If you don't I would be more concerned about that.

desertislander
13-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Standard stuff mate. You could change it if you want but provided there is no chance of the fuel line being damaged by the cables I personally wouldn't be concerned. You don't mention a water separator/fuel filter - do you not have one? If you don't I would be more concerned about that.

Thanks Scot, yep, got the filter