PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer bait pick up

Oceanic Dave
12-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Anyone know where i can get this from?

i have looked everywhere i know for it.

scottar
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Custom made pick-up from the guy's that used to do Seafarers Stainless work most likely Sika'd into a stainless skin fitting. Do you not have one or are looking for a second one?

Chimo
13-07-2015, 07:06 AM
I believe that the guy that used to make them in house, and went out on his own after Seafarer was sold has not so long ago passed away after an illness.

Not sure if his son has continued in the business. This is the no that used to get John 0407169751, you could give it go

Oceanic Dave
13-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear about him passing away.

I do have one on my boat. I can see a bit of corrosion on it, so will like to have a spare later for when i replace it in future.

I will give that number a go. Thank you.

Noelm
13-07-2015, 09:17 AM
jesus, by the time that corrodes through, the boat will be an antique.....

Tracker
13-07-2015, 09:33 AM
rv at capalaba have something the same.used it on the bonito.

Chimo
13-07-2015, 09:43 AM
OD

Just polish it. There is heaps of metal in the pick up anyhoo and once again our own Noelm is on the money!

Cheers
Chimo

Oceanic Dave
13-07-2015, 09:44 AM
jesus, by the time that corrodes through, the boat will be an antique.....

I am, just one of those fussy owners that like to keep everything looking new.

Chimo
13-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Lindsay would be proud of you!

I stopped off at his the other day as I was coming back in; he's looking younger and younger and he seems pretty happy even though he was polishing one of the boats at the time!

Noelm
13-07-2015, 10:14 AM
some acid wash or a bit of Brasso (if you can still buy it) and that will look like brand new again.

Oceanic Dave
13-07-2015, 10:25 AM
I will post a pic of what I am trying to explain. I have polished it already. Looks like it is eating into the metal.

Oceanic Dave
13-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Lindsay would be proud of you!

I stopped off at his the other day as I was coming back in; he's looking younger and younger and he seems pretty happy even though he was polishing one of the boats at the time!

Hopefully I get to meet him one day!

What boat was he polishing? What boat or boats does he have?

Oceanic Dave
13-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Here is a pic about the corrosion I am talking about.

I think I will need a better pic.

Chimo
13-07-2015, 10:49 AM
That's terrible, value of the boat is down to $10 k

When can you deliver it?

Dan5
13-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Looks like the chrome plating is coming off of the Bronze skin fitting you should be able to just replace the skin fitting with a new one and re-use the stainless pickup.

scottar
13-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Dan5 is on the money. The other option is to get stuff re-chromed. My old man is going through this at the minute - he has a Cave & Ferguson Easyrider 156 in mint condition for a boat that is 43 years old. He has just replaced the windscreen and canopy for the first time so he thought he would do the rest of the fittings as well and rather than have to drill new holes as there is no chance of getting the same fittings, he is getting them re-chromed. Costs a bit more though.

Oceanic Dave
13-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone!

tenzing
13-07-2015, 09:50 PM
A Little safety tip OD
Trying to take that pickup off will tear the gel coat off from under that screwed down plate.( its sealed on well with adhesive under that )

Is it worth it?

That sika filer around the pickup has always ticked me off. Its a small pickup tube going in to a large skin fitting, not really sealed by the sealant. It just isnt quite right is it
Cheers Brendan

I was thinking of replacing that little johnson bait pump with a pressure switced washdown pump to also serve as saltwater washdown. I replaced the old oil filler with a stainless washdown port I have had lying around for years, but the little pump is not strong enough and you need to close the bait aerator AND keep the washdown open so as not to stuff the pump.( I have replaced it a few times over the years)

I wonder if the pickup is big enough to service both causes?

scottar
13-07-2015, 10:03 PM
I wonder if the pickup is big enough to service both causes?

Not sure that it is Brendan. My Vic has a factory fitted washdown as well. It has a separate through hull pickup. The one through the stern is purely for the bait tanks. I couldn't imagine a builder bothering to fit a second pick up unless they had to ????

tenzing
14-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Not sure that it is Brendan. My Vic has a factory fitted washdown as well. It has a separate through hull pickup. The one through the stern is purely for the bait tanks. I couldn't imagine a builder bothering to fit a second pick up unless they had to ????
True enough
I guess its dependent on the pump too
Theres plenty of water at home going though 1/2 " pipe running 2 taps.
I guess if its just the bait tank( most of the time) you dont need 70 psi !

scottar
14-07-2015, 06:55 AM
It may well be fine when you are underway and generating pressure like you get at home but may struggle a bit when at rest - all you could do is give it a rip with thoughts of adding another fitting if required or running one at a time. Not sure I would get rid of the bait tank pump so much as simply add the wash down one. There is a significant current draw difference between the two types as a general rule and the wash down pumps, well mine at least, are noisier.

Chimo
14-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Tenzing

Brendan. My Vag also has a factory fitted wash down and has a separate through hull pickup which also includes a brass gate valve. The Vag system has been modified by me to have a tee fitted that allows the wash down pump to draw water from my 50 lt fresh water bladder by closing the sea water gate valve and opening the fresh water bladder one. You do need an extra thru hull pick up if you really want sea water or you could set up a fresh water one off a bladder you could install in front of the fuel tank in the existing undr floor chamber. The one through the stern is definitely best left for the bait tank and operated with the overflow set well below full supply level. I can set mine to overflow at whatever height chosen, usually between half and 3/4 full.

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
14-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys
Yeah I have a factory fitted freshwater washdown too. I re used the stainless tank for extra fuel , so put a bladder under the starboard bunk.
It was really a case of reusing the space from the oil filler and thought I could add salt wash too.
110010Could alwaysswitch salt and fresh with existing pump too I guess.

As for the overflow, a piece of polytubing to the right height jammed in the plughole makes it as variable as you like.

Cheers
Brendan

Chimo
15-07-2015, 06:51 AM
As for the overflow, a piece of polytubing to the right height jammed in the plughole makes it as variable as you like.

Agreed and if you add a tee at the top with with short poly sections with the ends cut at 45degrees with the long side at the top (hooded entry) you avoid the venturi impact and nothing can block the outlet either.