PDA

View Full Version : well it finally happened to me

kizza1
12-07-2015, 01:05 PM
While fishing for jewies on friday night i had a bream rod out to keep me entertained while i was waiting for the big ones to bite. The bream rod had the drag still done up from when i flushed it out last time and after casting it out i sat it down leaning against the gunnel of the boat. less than ten seconds later i hear a "tink" and i turn to see the rod about 1.5m out from the boat and then spear into the water. It was all over in about 2 seconds. I had a small light on the tip of the rod and saw it shoot through the water for about 15mins but by the time i had pulled the anchor the rod was long gone.
it was only about 2 meters deep but it was hooked onto something decent as it shot through the water rather than droping to the bottom.
The hardest part was to explain to the mrs where her uglystick is now.
From now on i will be checking the drag as soon as i throw the anchor out.

scottar
12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
From now on i will be checking the drag as soon as i throw the anchor out.

Or investing in some decent rod holders. It took me a long time to trust them properly, but I now love the 3 way stainless frame type rack holders I use in my tinnie for bait fishing at anchor. Well worth the investment.

BLOOEY
12-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Both myself and a mate have thrown ourselves overboard without a seccond thought after flying fishing rods. Retrieved both times.

shaungonemad
12-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Both myself and a mate have thrown ourselves overboard without a seccond thought after flying fishing rods. Retrieved both times.

My brother in law has done this also I heard Oh Fark and a splash I thought that he had fallen in he came back up with his rod,hat,glasses and the fish. Two minutes later I caught a 4 foot reef shark that put the wind up him a bit.

wayno60
12-07-2015, 08:59 PM
You'll only do it once.

Moonlighter
12-07-2015, 09:54 PM
If you fish often enough, sooner or later it will happen to you.

Many years ago I lost an Ugly Stick and Shimano bait runner at the 4 beacons. It was in the rod holder, I saw it get a nibble and as I casually lifted it with one hand, something smashed the bait and ripped it out of my hand.

This was maybe 18 years ago, back then this was a pretty flash and expensive combo, probably $300 worth.

You may have heard the expletives that day back at Manly?

sowden1942
13-07-2015, 03:08 PM
That why you use a lanyard on all your reels and you dont lose any ,either out of the rod holders or your hands, especially good if kids are on board.

lethal
13-07-2015, 04:13 PM
I was down tally creek years ago pumping yabbies, threw one on a rod and kept pumping. I saw it fly into the creek and instinctively dived in after it. Got the rod and reel back but the car key and phone never worked again. Long walk back!

TheGurn
13-07-2015, 08:16 PM
I can't even blame a fish. I got my brand new baitcaster outfit snagged while using bait. Started using the other outfit thinking a fish might pick the hooks off the snag of I let it sit. Yep, 10 minutes and no bites on the second outfit saw me up anchor and drive off.... with the snagged baitcaster shooting over transom at warp speed.

Bugger.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

scottar
13-07-2015, 09:47 PM
There was some big nasty kingies up there back then. I had them as long as the width of my 4.5 tinnie in the burley trail one day - fish 8, us nil - we never stood a chance LOL.

sparkyice
14-07-2015, 04:41 AM
You'll only do it once.

i dunno...my cousin has done it twice.

scottar
14-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Yup, some of us are slow learners. I've had a couple (read several) goes. Fish aren't the only things that will remove rods either - going vertical crossing the pin bar with rods in the baitboard holders seemed to work frustrating well when the tips went into the drink on re-entry and dragged them out. Thankfully all the good outfits were in the overhead rack and only the bait jigging rods went. Heart skipped a beat though until we realised they were still in the launcher.

wayno60
15-07-2015, 09:48 PM
lol so the fact you went vertical didn't bother you..... just don't lose the good rods!!

scottar
15-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Hard to fish for the rest of the day without rods Wayno.;D Trust me mate, the vertical orientation was a sphincter pulsing, dribble down the leg type moment but once we had that out of the way and were sitting there patting ourselves down to make sure we were ok, I looked around and noticed the bait rods were gone. Right at that point there was a horrible sinking feeling until I got out from under the canopy to see the fibreglass forest still standing. Relief didn't begin to describe the feeling - few "G"s hanging up there - trying to explain the required trip to the tackle store to the financial controller would not have been pretty. One can only take so many sphincter pulsing, dribble down the leg moments.

Alwayskeen
16-07-2015, 09:11 PM
First time was trolling in the tinnie up north. Had the rod in a plastic (not cheap) rail mounted rod holder. I'd been trolling for what seemed like hours then finally the rod buckled back. My excitement was short lived when I watched the rod holder bend and twist under strain and in what seemed like slow motion the rod went skipping along the surface towards the wake. Note to self lighten the drag and use steel rod holders!

A few few years passed and when fishing offshore (new boat) I had a livie rod (baitrunner) in a stainless rod holder and was throwing plastics. Had a hit on the baitrunner so wound in the plastics rod and lent it against the gunnel. Brought a nice dollie to the boat, when it had its first look at the boat turned and ran along the boat towards the back. I panicked and lifted the rod, you guessed it the line just hooked under the rod tip resting on the side of the boat. As if it was bloody staged turned and went out 90 degrees. Drag burning picked up the rod and it dropped into the water and I stood there with a dumb look on my face trying to decide whether to dive in or keep fighting the fish....

Seriously WTF are the chances of that??? Still hurts.

sam687
17-07-2015, 08:53 AM
my grand father was casually casting out time and time again during the day, not alot was happening and the next thing the rod and all was cast into the ocean. not sure if he was half asleep or calling in quits for the day.

also reminds me of people leaning over to net a fish and also watching their mobile phone fall out of the top pocket.

AndrewB
17-07-2015, 11:27 AM
After diving into the briney chasing my sunglasses a few years back with phone etc in pocket, I now have a waterproof container that the phone and car keys go into as soon as I get on board.

Nabba1
21-07-2015, 08:11 AM
The old man did same fishing for mackerel. had his spinning reel sitting in the boat not in a rod holder with a pilly in the water (for some stupid reason). Mack hits, rod flies into the water.

about an hour later he catches some line. pulls it in from 1 end and retrieves his rod/reel. Winds the submerged rod back in and retrieves mackerel. Or so the story goes.... 2nd time its happened to him too, First time not so lucky with the retrieval.

Oceanic Dave
21-07-2015, 09:30 AM
I thought it was going to read... I forgot the bungs!

But I have lost a Rod too, to a Kingy. Was on the other side of the boat trying to net one when I heard that noise of a rod flying over the tinny. By the time I went to the other side, I could just see the Rod fading deep into the blue, was about to jump but hesitated. Was devastated that day as a few hundred went down!