PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding what size Bar Crusher

dazyz1
06-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Hi guys,
I'm looking at going halves in a Bar Crusher with my old man and we are stuck on what size to go for. I'm keen on a Bar Crusher 610C or 640C. The old man is more keen on a 575C and reckons that the smaller boat will be significantly easier to handle and cheaper to run. I figure that under the 6m mark the bunks are too small and given 90% of our boating will be offshore trips the bigger the better in terms of ride quality. It would be great to hear from anyone who has any of these size Bar Crushers or similar size plate boats.

Thanks,
Damien

Jsmfun
06-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Mate they will be easy for 1 person as you just drive it onto the trailer and the barcatch grapes the boat . I am looking at them also

dazyz1
06-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah I reckon that the bar catch will come in handy. Interested to know the difference in running costs between the different sizes though.

The Black Unicorn
06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Go the biggest you can afford. Just remember the current 610 and 640 were previously the 575 and 620. Something like that. They changed their sizing structure a little while back

koastal
06-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Bigger is better when it comes to offshore.

Are you considering any other brands - eg: glass boats.

I have never ridden on a barcrusher but thier marketing budget must be bigger than most

tarzan
06-07-2015, 10:11 PM
My mate has a 640 with 225 Zuke 4 stroke. Economy is about 1.3 kms to the litre.

scottar
06-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Go the biggest you can afford.

This if it's primarily for offshore.

tjotter
07-07-2015, 02:43 AM
Aust Boat Mags has a 7page 610cuddy test/review, $5

Jsmfun
07-07-2015, 06:32 AM
My mate has a 640 with 225 Zuke 4 stroke. Economy is about 1.3 kms to the litre.

i think that motor would be a bit to heavy for that boat considering the 730 comes with a 250 and the 670 comes with max hp 200

Flex
07-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Can I ask why it's a bar crusher your buying? I personally think there are much better boats out there for similar money.

what fishing do you do and how far offshore do you go?

Camhawk88
07-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Can I ask why it's a bar crusher your buying? I personally think there are much better boats out there for similar money.

+1
If it is offshore you are doing then go for glass in that size boat for that sort of coin. If you were looking for a customised boat built to request then plate may be your best option. But if you are serious about offshore work and are buying a ready made rig then for 80-100k you can do a lot better than a Barcrusher IMO. If you have your heart set on plate, give the Surtees an eyeball but a good glass boat will give you a better ride for your $.

sam687
07-07-2015, 10:01 AM
just to help with clearing up the change in sizing and allow you to compare like for like.
530 - 575
560 - 610 - 615
620 - 670
640 - 680 this size has been dropped, came with 300L tank and self draining deck with max HP of 225
i may be wrong with this but i hope not haha

I was looking at getting the 560WR model but came across a 640WR for the right price and couldnt say no. there is alot of difference between the two boats, width length weight and ride. Yes the bigger model does use more fuel, electic brakes on the trailer and a bigger tow vehicle but at the end of the day its not alot and it hasnt broken my bank yet.

I would have been happy with the 560-610-615 size as there are big enough to take out wide and you know you will get home, they have about 140-150L fuel tank which gives them good range. i have a family member with a 575 size and it does make it out the shelf quiet well and back but he has to take extra fuel and travel a bit slower. it also only has a 90 etec and wishes it had a bit more punch when loaded up for a big trip.

For a comparison between the 575 and 615.
- fuel tank size, its annoying to have to take and store fuel cans espically on a small boat.
- you should want max HP for either hull, they are deep vee and take a bit of punch to launch them onto the plane in a hurry and even more so when fully loaded with a few blokes.
- fuel economy souldnt be to much different between them, just over 2.0km/L for the 575 and just under for the 615. this is offshore driving with a load. (mine uses about 1.5km/L)
- you wouldnt find the 615 any harder to handle then the 575 at the ramp
- bunks are larger in the 615 and with that comes storage space
- storage space may help you decide overall length 7000/7350 overall width 2150/2250 height with roof folded down 2100/2200 and dry tow weight 1250/1390

im sure there is alot more that will help you decide but hopefully this has helped, i was in your shoes not so long ago but i was only interested in the used market and everything above is just my opinion.

Yes there are lots of great glass boats but most of the time a better ride comes for more weight but for me there is something about a plate boat that i like. I can run it up on the sand, and can get home and hit it with the soap and hose the whole boat out and i dont need to worry as much about gel coats, polish and possible timber rot etc.

feel free to PM me if you wish.

Gumby_III
07-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Hi Damien

I have recently bought a 640C and have been very happy with it. I can't give you much comparison to smaller models as did not get the chance to look at them side by side. Not sure where you are located, however Stones Corner Marine are a dealer that may have a model of both in stock that you might be able to compare side by side (even if you are not looking to buy new).

One comment that I will make is even in the 640C, the bunks are not that long and while you could probably get a nights sleep on them, it would not be overly comfortable.

The 640 model, which was renamed to the 680 has now been discontinued. The max HP was 200hp as well. The previous owner that I bought the boat off did not know the fuel capacity of the tank, however when I spoke to Bar Crusher, they advised it was in the range of 280 - 300 litres. Also see the attached link on the 640 from the Bar Crusher website.

https://www.barcrusher.com.au/superior-sportfisher-bar-crushers-new-640ht/
(https://www.barcrusher.com.au/superior-sportfisher-bar-crushers-new-640ht/)
Good luck with the decision and purchase.

Cheers

Mark

dazyz1
07-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Bigger is better when it comes to offshore.

Are you considering any other brands - eg: glass boats.

I have never ridden on a barcrusher but thier marketing budget must be bigger than most

I'm really only interested in ally as I'm after something I can modify or repair myself (used to do a fair bit of ally welding/fabrication). Yeah they seem to be fairly well marketed.

dazyz1
07-07-2015, 08:59 PM

I'm keen on the layout and they look well built.

I live on the Sunny Coast and I currently fish the inshore reefs out from Mooloolaba and Caloundra. Barwon Banks when the weather is really good (only have a 4.4 tinny at this stage). I'm keen to do some trips off DI and Fraser with the bigger boat.

Moonlighter
07-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Have a look at the Surtees. They are the originals, you will see how closely that the BC, shall we say, resembles them......

Northside Marine are now the Brisbane dealers.

Surtees are still more flexible in the options you can do, from a basic almost bare boat to full blown. I found them more accommodating than BC with regard to modifying the boat to suit my needs as well, with a higher roof to suit my 1.95m height. BC simply said "No".

My Workmate 550 was the same size as the BC 530C, which is now the 575. I think Surtees has just changed the way their boats are measured too. Something to do with European CE standards, which the Surtees is built to meet and is certified. They have also increases hull thickness on the new range. Just checked and they have slightly lengthened the 550 and it's now 575.

The next size up is the 610, previously the 580. If you want more cabin size than the Workmate model, you can get the Gamefisher model, same size hull, bigger cabin and full hardtop roof. 150 litres of fuel, and I'm pretty sure they will expand that to 180 or so if you ask nicely!
http://www.surteesboats.com/our-range/boat/610-game-fisher

They are seriously well built, the pride in workmanship stands out. A mate of mine who is a qualified welder remarked very favourably on the welding work on my boat.

In fact, not many people know that every Surtees boat is built personally by one member of the Surtees team. Under the Starboard duckboard, you will find the initials of the person who built your boat marked. I don't think you will find that in many other production alloy boats, they run down a production line.

I went max hp which was 115 and the Suzuki goes really well. The boat punches well above its weight offshore, with the 18 deg V hull, and I have no dramas out wide off Brisbane and wouldn't hesitate to go Barwons.

If if you need extra fuel capacity Surtees will often do bigger tanks for you, obviously to a limit, but they were happy to give me an extra 20 litres.

One notable advantage of this size boat (the 575) is that it's comfortable on a single axle trailer. Weight BMT is about 1200 kg including gear, in normal operating trim. The next size up can scrape onto a single axle, it really belongs on a dual axle trailer.

Surtees boat catch is simplicity itself, works a treat. Google and you will see.

The Black Unicorn
08-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Mate if you are sold on that style of boat then look at the Extremes! I remember seeing them at a boat show a couple of years back and the size difference was amazing. You could nearly fit a bar crusher or surtees inside the same badged size Extreme. Way bigger boats.

Chris Tucker
08-07-2015, 11:04 AM
I had a look at all the "obvious" brands at the recent Melbourne boat show and was shocked by how little you got for your coin, but then your dollar not only has to cover the builder's cost and profit but also the dealer's and the huge advertising budget that has made the names apparent to you. There are custom and semi-custom builders that have far superior products to offer who you just haven't heard of.

If you like the 640 you'd love the Richardson marine, 6mm bottoms, 4mm sides (no plate in the boat less than 4mm), bigger fuel tank etc: http://richardsonmarine.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SC6300HT-FLYER.pdf
For something a bit bigger try the Pelagic Eite 700: http://www.phapelagic.com.au/index.php?page=pelagic-elite-range.
Smaller Hammerhead boats are currently building a new 5800 dragonfly: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/1278974_764541656937631_3442974519265266169_o.jpg

For obvious reasons, I'm biased but these are examples of the many semi-custom boats out there that are superior in almost every way including price to the big name production boats.

SHOOTER1
08-07-2015, 07:32 PM
For some reason every time someone brings up Barcrushers the negatives come out, ohh huge marketing budget so most be expensive, buy a fibreglass, much better boats out there for the money, look at a Surtees, yada yada yada. I have a Barcrusher from new and am happy with what i payed, quality of build and support from the manufacturer (no problems with boat just needed advice). Basically buy a boat and go fishing. Well setup trailer, deckwash,live bait tank etc. Don't see many "CRACKED AND SINKING or MY BLAH BLAH NIGHTMARE" posts involving Barcrusher. Don't want to get in an argument re Best Boats. Everyone will have a differant opinion but if you have done the research and are happy you can be confident the Barcrusher won't dissapoint.

koastal
08-07-2015, 08:54 PM
I dont have any issues with barcrushers - other than the mis-leading name. Unless you have a formula 233 attached to the front https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsAnmnFPIo

I think they like a number of brands look awesome on a trailer

Alan M
08-07-2015, 09:11 PM
sloppy driving...lol its funny i thought brunswick heads was in nsw...

if you like that plate boat style boat pelagic is worth a look - have a look at the weights.of the boats, thats a lot of plate they put in their boats!

Chris Tucker
09-07-2015, 09:10 AM
For some reason every time someone brings up Barcrushers the negatives come out, ohh huge marketing budget so most be expensive, buy a fibreglass, much better boats out there for the money, look at a Surtees, yada yada yada. I have a Barcrusher from new and am happy with what i payed, quality of build and support from the manufacturer (no problems with boat just needed advice). Basically buy a boat and go fishing. Well setup trailer, deckwash,live bait tank etc. Don't see many "CRACKED AND SINKING or MY BLAH BLAH NIGHTMARE" posts involving Barcrusher. Don't want to get in an argument re Best Boats. Everyone will have a differant opinion but if you have done the research and are happy you can be confident the Barcrusher won't dissapoint.

I don't have an issue with the Barcrusher as a product. There are a lot of them out there and if the majority of their customers weren't happy, the forums would have a lot more negative posts. My comments are based upon the fact that from my point of view the original poster's decision process seems to be backwards. He's decided on a brand and is now deciding on a size and associated specification. Like with cars, different brand's models have their strengths and weaknesses. Even if your were a staunch Holden V8 fan if your were looking for a serious 4x4 you'd probably be more likely to buy a Landcruiser or a Patrol than a Colorado.

Moonlighter
09-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Raising the Surtees for consideration in any discussion about Barcrushers is perfectly reasonable and sensible.

Fact is, the Surtees is the original boat that Barcrusher initially imported into Australia and subsequently started building here under their own name, before the relationship went pear shaped, but BC kept making them anyway.

So the design and style is directly comparable, although many people are not aware of that fact and of the history of these two manufacturers. Some minor differences in design and fittings etc have emerged over time, but that's about it.

It would thus be sensible for anyone seriously considering a BC to look at the original version, made by Surtees, is all I am suggesting.

I can also see the OP's dilemma - to go with one size or the next one up on a particular make and model is a matter that you can debate quite sensibly too. It isn't like you are going from an estuary tinny to a 20ft offshore boat, we are talking about maybe a half meter extra length. So I think it's a valuable and reasonable debate to toss around.

And by the way, both their hulls handle well offshore. I've had guys with me in my Surtees Workmate 5.5 who own larger 6m glass boats from well known and widely popular manufacturers, and they all have remarked on how pleasantly surprised they were at the great ride and handling.

No bad habits on these hulls, and I've had mine out in some very average conditions and it has handled them well. Of course, the skipper is no idiot either, and drives the boat skilfully, and to the conditions.....

dazyz1
09-07-2015, 01:23 PM
I thought I'd get some interesting feedback on which other brands I should consider. I can only base my opinions and preferences on what I've seen and the feedback I've received from owners of barcrushers and similar plate boats. I've been to a few boat shows and looked at a few different brands and what I have noticed is that the bar crusher layout (very similar from the 575 through to the 670) suits my style of fishing and what I think would be comfortable. Bear in mind that I have never owned anything bigger than a 4.4m tinny. I have however fished from quite a few larger boats plate ally and glass but never a bar crusher. Some of the other plate boats that I've looked either don't appeal to me based on design, quality of construction and value for money. It's harder to consider some of the smaller boat builders out there when the amount of boats they have on the water is limited and the feedback I receive from the owners is based on a boat that isn't comparable in size or configuration with what I want. On top of all this I have to try and sift the truth from the bullshit as I've spoken to people who swear blindly that all plate boats are shit while others tell me that xyz manufacturer of plate boats is the best thing since sliced bread.

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to make a comment and certainly don't stop the feedback and advice. At the end of the day my decision isn't made until the money gets handed over.

dazyz1
09-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Raising the Surtees for consideration in any discussion about Barcrushers is perfectly reasonable and sensible.

Fact is, the Surtees is the original boat that Barcrusher initially imported into Australia and subsequently started building here under their own name, before the relationship went pear shaped, but BC kept making them anyway.

So the design and style is directly comparable, although many people are not aware of that fact and of the history of these two manufacturers. Some minor differences in design and fittings etc have emerged over time, but that's about it.

It would thus be sensible for anyone seriously considering a BC to look at the original version, made by Surtees, is all I am suggesting.

I can also see the OP's dilemma - to go with one size or the next one up on a particular make and model is a matter that you can debate quite sensibly too. It isn't like you are going from an estuary tinny to a 20ft offshore boat, we are talking about maybe a half meter extra length. So I think it's a valuable and reasonable debate to toss around.

And by the way, both their hulls handle well offshore. I've had guys with me in my Surtees Workmate 5.5 who own larger 6m glass boats from well known and widely popular manufacturers, and they all have remarked on how pleasantly surprised they were at the great ride and handling.

No bad habits on these hulls, and I've had mine out in some very average conditions and it has handled them well. Of course, the skipper is no idiot either, and drives the boat skilfully, and to the conditions.....

I haven't ruled out the Surtees. I've heard the story of what went on between the two companies. I think they are both that similar that I would be happy with either brand.

Oceanic Dave
09-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I have seen all of these boats. I didn't know much about the Surtee's until I saw it once and thought it was a BC. I sort of figured one would of copied one another as they looked way too similar.

The Extreme boats are really nice too. If you like that style, I would look at Extreme.

frank100
09-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Dazy1,
Go the biggest BC you can afford. I've had mine for 12yrs. The first decision for me was 5.5 or 6.1 . The 6.1 had way more work space and a much better feel on the water. Yes BC is a Surtees, mine was one of the originals, SURTEES hull imported by B/Crusher I believe they fitted the cuddy cab, fold down roof, painted and affixed decals etc. (Mine has SURTEES in raised letters on the edge of the duck board) basically a BC is / was a prettied up Surtees, not long after I got mine I was is NZ and believe me the Surtees back then was ugly (marketed as a work boat ). I originally had a 140 Suzi and was pretty happy with performance / economy but late last year I repowered with a Mercury 150. Now I am absolutely wrapped with the performance and the economy is way better.
As far as I am concerned I don't want to enter the debate on wether brand x is better than brand y. The only advice I would offer on a pre owned plate boat is to remove any stainless screws / bolts one at a time and recoat with Duralac or similar (inhibit corrosion, it does wear off) as an aside I have found that STAG plumbing paste does a better job although messy to deal with.
Good luck with your decision
Frank

dazyz1
09-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Dazy1,
Go the biggest BC you can afford. I've had mine for 12yrs. The first decision for me was 5.5 or 6.1 . The 6.1 had way more work space and a much better feel on the water. Yes BC is a Surtees, mine was one of the originals, SURTEES hull imported by B/Crusher I believe they fitted the cuddy cab, fold down roof, painted and affixed decals etc. (Mine has SURTEES in raised letters on the edge of the duck board) basically a BC is / was a prettied up Surtees, not long after I got mine I was is NZ and believe me the Surtees back then was ugly (marketed as a work boat ). I originally had a 140 Suzi and was pretty happy with performance / economy but late last year I repowered with a Mercury 150. Now I am absolutely wrapped with the performance and the economy is way better.
As far as I am concerned I don't want to enter the debate on wether brand x is better than brand y. The only advice I would offer on a pre owned plate boat is to remove any stainless screws / bolts one at a time and recoat with Duralac or similar (inhibit corrosion, it does wear off) as an aside I have found that STAG plumbing paste does a better job although messy to deal with.
Good luck with your decision
Frank

What sort of fuel economy do you get from your 150?

frank100
09-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Dazy1,
Good question, I've just run it in (20hrs) haven't got exact figures but as a guide a trip that used 80-85ltrs on the Suzi cost me 70ltrs with the Mercury. Useage should be pretty reliable since the same route to the same spot, don't know how exact the gauges are but the Suzi (Lowrance lmf Suzuki badged) gave reading of 1.6 - 1.9 Km/lt. Mercury gauges tell me 1.8 -2.1 . Hopefully weather / Work / Health get into sync soon and I'll be able to get more reliable figures, I think the Merc is still a bit "tight" so am hoping the economy will get better.
Frank

Smithy
13-07-2015, 10:05 AM
I fished the Fraser Island game comp in a 670HT in November gone. Ride wise it was as soft a platey as I have been in. I found it horrendously wet though for some reason. Luckily it was a hard top. The corners were wet though in any chop. It was also very noisy with regard the alloy sound hitting water. Guess I have been spoiled for four years being back in glass. My Stabi and Mclay were both way quieter and drier but the BC cut through the water maybe better. Having carpet on every surface of a plate boat sure helps deaden the sound. In my Stabi days I certainly had quiet a few people who had been on the smaller BCs and similar remark on how much softer it was than them. Don't discount pontoon boats in your considerations but like the boys above I am a glass man that had a couple of plateys along the way.

Lordspink
13-07-2015, 01:29 PM
I have a 490c the smallest they make and the father in-law has a HT in the 7m range, BC flew us down to melb to have a look through their factory (That's why i bought one for my self). Every ones got an opinion, mine is: they handle bloody well, easy to clean and set out nice. Surtees do a nice boat when looking at the 4.95 work mate compared to the 4.9Bc, the BC had a lot more as standard for the same price.

Go as big as you can, with the drive on drive off trailer (bar-catch) its easy as to handle. Comes down to $$$$

Smithy
13-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Don't spend big money on boat catches. You can do similar with a piece of rope from your trailer to a stern cleat picked up with a gaff over the side for like $1.

Lordspink
14-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Don't spend big money on boat catches. You can do similar with a piece of rope from your trailer to a stern cleat picked up with a gaff over the side for like $1.

its a fair enough point, but only one of the many reasons that made me head down that path, to be honest not even one of the big ones, but a handy standard feature none the less

koastal
07-08-2015, 11:32 PM
How did you go
Has a boat been bought ?
Boats are personal things - like houses / cars / girls

Each to thier own I reckon
Rarely is the best one chosen first - excepting girs
And sometimes requirements change

fisho8
08-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Mate buying a boat is a very frustrating practice. Personally I would go as big as you can afford. There are some great plate boats out on the market. If you have your heart set on a bar crusher then just pick a size do the research and go for it. Don't second guess yourself. I have a 6.1 Surtees Gamefisher they are nothing short of a fantastic boat..Well built and built to CE certification great at rest and just mows through the chop. That was my choice in boat mate and I have never looked back. Just do your reseach and make your own choice in accordance with your budget. Good luck mate I hope you enjoy your new rig...whatever it is going to be....I love showing it off to hahaha...

dazyz1
12-08-2015, 06:20 PM
How did you go
Has a boat been bought ?
Boats are personal things - like houses / cars / girls

Each to thier own I reckon
Rarely is the best one chosen first - excepting girs
And sometimes requirements change

No boat yet, I might have to sell my tinny to make room in the yard for the new boat. The original storage spot we had planned isn't going to be any good for another 6 - 12months. The missus will shoot me if I end up with another trailer in the yard, we've already got 4 trailers so one might have go to make room.

scottar
12-08-2015, 08:09 PM
No boat yet, I might have to sell my tinny to make room in the yard for the new boat. The original storage spot we had planned isn't going to be any good for another 6 - 12months. The missus will shoot me if I end up with another trailer in the yard, we've already got 4 trailers so one might have go to make room.

Wife's have no sense of humour do they.