PDA

View Full Version : MInn Kota quick release bracket seized up

the gecko
06-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys,
Ive trying to remove my old RT55A that is dead, and replace it with another RT55, but I cant get the old one off. I fitted a quick release bracket, it is the old style black alloy plate, but it seems to be stuck fast after 7 years of salt and corrosion.

The side screw was stuck fast, so I drilled it out, but it didnt help. Ive tried a gentle tap with a chisel and heavy hammer, bit the old motor will still not slide off the plate. I cant even rememebr if the unit slides forward or back, but nothing moves. Which way should it go to come off?

The bottomplate is fixed to the gunnel with 3 nuts and bolts that seem to have rusted. It looks like I forgot to use stainless nuts. I can even get an angle grinder under the gunnel.

My plan is to remove the top plate and motor in one go, and then drill out the bottom plate and remove it too.

Any ideas on how to remove the top plate and motor? It doesnt matter if I damage the minn kota, cos its dead in the circuit board on the side section (anyone need a head, shaft and prop for spares?). Id just like to make sure that I dont damage the gunnels.

How can I free this up? It looks beyond products like Salt Away. Is blunt force the only option?

cheers
Andrew

Seahorse
06-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Wont the plate come off the boat? Or the min kota off the plate?

How long has it been on there. I think you need to getne of the extensions made that fite on side of boat.
Doesnt the side panel come off the min kota? Then u can get at the bolts?

rayken1938
06-07-2015, 03:34 PM
It should slide backwards. You have 2 options. If you remove the side plates and use a hole saw to cut a hole in the top of the mounting plate to give you access to the bolt heads. If you wish to go this way I can give you the measurements so you cut the holes in correct place.
If yo cannot get the bolts undone you will have to attack the side of the slide with an angle grinder using an alloy cutting disc. You should only have to cut one side and the whole motor assembly can be moved sideways to clear the slide on the other side,
First off i would recommend giving the slides a good overnight soaking with eucalyptus oil or penetrene and then banging front of the mount with a hammer using a copper or ally drift before major surgery.
Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

scottar
06-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Removing the side plates off the motor will expose the bolt heads for the motor. You should be able to then undo these or cut the heads off with a cutting disk in a grinder. Then you should be able to either cut the top plate out of the bracket or as Ray suggested, a soaking and some gentle persuasion. If that does work there is always the FBH method. I take no responsibility for any damage should the last method be utilised.;D

the gecko
07-07-2015, 12:49 PM
The screws are in the base plate, so taking the sides off is not an option here.

I ended up taking an angle grinder to one side of the base plate. That opened it all up, then I took the tops off the bolts and they fell through with a hole punch tap. Amazing how easy it is when you use the right tools. Now I know why they make a plastic puck style base plate.......wish they had made them a year or two earlier.

Job is done, old one removed, new one fixed straight on. Now Im trying to figure out those pesky Anderson plugs......

thanks guys.

Andrew

Seahorse
07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Good on ya Andrew. The anderson plug thing is ok. I put one on mine.