PDA

View Full Version : Ningi Creek

thump-a
25-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi Everyone

Iám interested in purchasing investment land at Ningi ; Bribie Island road on Ningi Creek.
Iám currently living in Townsville but will be down that way next month to check out the area.
Can anyone give me a bit of a wrap about the area.
I have thoughts of flooding and SANDFLIES.
I LOVE MY BOATING AND FISHING. 21 foot plate boat for the reef & a 4.3 Sea jay for the creeks

Thanks in advance

Graham

Fillet`n`Release
25-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Hey Graham,

I've only lived on Bribie Island for the last 4'ish years, but this is what I've experienced. We've had a few 1 in 100 year floods in the last few years in Brisbane, and Bribie itself has gone relatively unscathed, bar a few low lying areas with poorly maintained drains (our council is slack, surprise).

Last year there was a huge fuss regarding the Moreton Bay Regional Council for their new Draft Planning Scheme. This was to include "flood mapping overlays" which were supposedly computer projected models of flooding issues in our region. The mapping data was flawed to say the least, and caused a huge amount of trouble for the council when the public backlashed immensely. They council is about to release a new revised Draft Plan on the 1st July 2015 so we're waiting ever so patiently to see what they're going to try this time. What does this mean for Ningi you're probably asking. A mate of mine owns a property in Ningi, which is on the creek waterfront. He's never been inundated, though some flash flooding has happened due to some people apparently interfering with the natural flow of water (and this is being investigated etc). However the first draft planning scheme said that Ningi was magically a moderate to high flood risk with this flawed mapping data. Subsequently this risked people's house prices and insurance companies speculated on massive premium hikes. This was all put on hold when the 2014 Draft got canned by State Gov't to be reviewed.

So from a physical experience point of view, I'm on the canals on Bribie and I've never flooded (the canals don't flood as they're tidal, we'd need a tsunami/storm surge of serious proportions). I know that the Bribie Island Road outside of Ningi (the Bruce Hwy side) floods when there is strong rain inundation and a high tide. But to my knowledge properties have yet to be at risk. I strongly recommend you do some reading of the MBRC website of the Draft Planning Scheme's flood overlays when it becomes available, specific to the address of any prospective properties you're considering. There are some good utilities that illustrate the data (hopefully this time the data will be much improved over the rubbish they tried last time).

As for sandflies, it's semi mangrove marine environment so there are times they're there and other times they're not. I fish up Ningi Creek and in the adjacent Passage area and I'd say most often they're not a problem but sometimes on dusk they might show up. The council has been spraying the region to control mosquitos in recent months due to the concerns of a population boom (and disease transmission) with the wet weather we've had, that might have an effect on all insect populations hard to say.

All the best with your plans !

Still_Dreamin
17-07-2015, 01:13 PM
They get some pretty decent bush fires through that area. Might be worth checking that out.

stilltryin
17-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Look at the Sandstone Point area, better location, less issues. Close to boat ramps etc

hungry6
19-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Our firm do abit of subs around the place. Pretty sure the area your talking about is proposed future road expansion for BI road. Like someone else here said, sandstone point is good.

Alchemy
19-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Stay in TVL. NQ is way better than SQ!