PDA

View Full Version : Launching Boat Off Frankston (VIC)

Splash
20-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Hello all.

There are 2 x ramps off Frankston - Olivers Hill and Kananook Creek.

I do understand that shallow water may exist at low tide at the point entering PPB from Kananook Creek.

Can anyone advise me what I need to consider when I launch off either boat ramp - i.e. ideal times, tides, parking, fees, permits, restrictions, etc?

What limiting weather would restrict me from using the Oliver's Hill Boat Ramp (wind strength, tide and wind direction)?

Boat will be the 4.1m Ploycraft with small draft.

Splash

station-rat
20-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Back in Victoria Splash?

russ71
21-06-2015, 06:00 PM
G'day Splash,
I haven't used either ramp but I know people who do, Kananook ramp probably best from half tied rising and the same for Olivers Hill. Winds, well Olivers Hill best winds would be less than 5 knots so you don't get smashed up imo. And Kananook creek ramp it dosent really matter.
but personally I would use Patterson river ramp, protected in all winds.
costs for all ramps around 10 to 15 bucks.
Anyway I hope this helps.
Russ

Alan M
22-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Hey kannanook creek is not great IMO - go down and have a look the set up is bad at the ramps with no jetty or beach or pontton so you have to jump off the wall of the creek into your boat. shallowness varies depends on storms and if it has been dredged. Olivers hill is better but very exposed from the north west for a 4m boat you should have water enough all times at olivers hill it has a small wooden jetty and is normally quiet. We have used it a few times not issues - I would say 10kns from the north west and above will make it hard, other directions no issue (look at google maps)

Other good small boat ramps in the area are mordy creek, safety beach and toot - all good for small boats and near to the action - patto is a bit far in a small boat to any decent fishing. We have a 4.2 tinny now but used to have a bigger boat and fish out of patto most weeks when i was feeling too lazy to drive to westernport. Mordy is good if the wind is from the north or north west as the beaumaris cliffs block the wind and swell once you get into beuamaris bay.

Alan M
22-06-2015, 04:13 PM
I took a photo just now 30 knots from the north. Not as bad is it would be if it was from the west or north west. not sure if the photo will insert - here goes:109626109626

Alan M
22-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Thats olivers hill ramp

frosti
22-06-2015, 07:41 PM
both ramps are crap . paterson river is a busy but good facility . you recon at $12.00 per launch they would provide a safe and well maintained facility