PDA

View Full Version : 1770 & Round Hill Creek bar

Gumby_III
19-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Hi all

Just looking for some recent local knowledge on the Round Hill Creek bar. Never been there before, but from looking at previous threads, I was going to follow the suggestion of going and sitting on the headland to get an idea on the bar before heading out.

Does anybody have a GPS track of the route that would also provide some guidance?

Cheers

Mark

JulianDeMarchi
19-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Hi all

Just looking for some recent local knowledge on the Round Hill Creek bar. Never been there before, but from looking at previous threads, I was going to follow the suggestion of going and sitting on the headland to get an idea on the bar before heading out.

Does anybody have a GPS track of the route that would also provide some guidance?

Cheers

Mark

There is no bar so to speak. Just watch the channel in the creek on way out on low tide...

Lucky_Phill
19-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi all

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

The bar is short compared to most. If you crossed other bars on Qld 's coast, this one is a breeze and in fact, I would suggest the safest and easiest bar to cross.

Having said that, each year a small number of boats come to grief there.

On an incoming tide, you will have no issues. Out-going , mid tide on a full moon with a 2mtr easterly swell, yep.... a slow and cautious crossing is a must.

When you launch at the ramp, you can easily make your way out of the estuary and be on alert for the channel makers as it does get shallow at dead low tide.

Keep to the 6knot rule until you reach Monument Point. Keep to the left of the Red bouys and line up the Green bouy sitting just inside the bar. As you pass the green, turn slightly North. Reason is, the bar has silted up close to the rocks on the right hand side.

You will only have to get over a set of waves.... 4 - 5 and you are out. It will always be a little lumpy closer to the headland, but once you are out a bit ( bait grounds ) the seas calm off.

You will not need a GPS track to enter or exit the bar, unless you intend to navigate the bar and estuary at night. The beacons and buoys are NOT lite.

As always, plot a gps point about 2 - 300 mtrs outside the bar, as your set-up point for return. Be aware the bar is also narrow and although wide enough for boats to pass each other, I would suggest courtesy and cross the bar when it is clear. Also be aware, small boats anchor just inside the bar and basically in the channel.

Always log onto Marine Rescue Round Hill...VHF channel 82 before and after your tirp.

cheers LP

FisHard
19-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Phill has given you a fantastic explanation of the situation!
I totally agree that it's got to be a solid swell and runout tide to be even close to dangerous. Also agree that the actual creek is getting shallow at and around low tide.

fez
19-06-2015, 05:38 PM
The above advise is spot on, if you are concerned at all launch at dead low and head out to the headland (no real need to cross at this stage) from here you can follow your track out/in as many times as you are there for your stay/trip. This way you know exactly your track and will keep you off the sand banks at all stages of the tide. When we were there a month or so ago the channel had a big sandbar across further out past the green marker just short of monument point that could catch you out if following the channel markers only and not using your eyes. All in all it is a pretty simple trip (although slow) from the ramp to the headland but caution should always play a big part when approaching/crossing the bar.

fez

bannana
19-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Yeah Phill's nailed it.

Gumby_III
21-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the advice Phill.

If you crossed other bars on Qld 's coast, this one is a breeze and in fact, I would suggest the safest and easiest bar to cross.

This will be my first bar crossing. I have driven boats 100km + from shore in some pretty ordinary conditions when doing charters to the Swains and generally handling a boat. Will also have my father with me who has had a boat for about 40 years, but don't think he has ever taken them over a bar as they have generally been smaller boats.

Sounds like it might be a good place to start with a bar crossing if it is not too bad. Have also got a copy of the DVD Crossing Coastal Bars Safely which I have watched a few times.

Alwayskeen
22-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Not sure where you live but if in Brisbane Bill Corten's bar crossing course is an idea if you want some hands on practice.

The Black Unicorn
23-06-2015, 06:20 AM
The above posts have nailed it. In my opinion if the weather and conditions are good enough to travel 60-70 odd kms to get to the close reefs then the bar will be a non event.

Lucky_Phill
23-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the advice Phill.

This will be my first bar crossing. I have driven boats 100km + from shore in some pretty ordinary conditions when doing charters to the Swains and generally handling a boat. Will also have my father with me who has had a boat for about 40 years, but don't think he has ever taken them over a bar as they have generally been smaller boats.

Sounds like it might be a good place to start with a bar crossing if it is not too bad. Have also got a copy of the DVD Crossing Coastal Bars Safely which I have watched a few times.

A Bar Crossing course is always a great way to get your head around bars, swells, pressure waves, current, white water and channels.

The 1770 bar is different due to it being very short, no cross waves etc. If ever you are unsure, sit inside the bar at the green buoy and watch others, follow thier path. Same for the return trip. Don't worry, if it's good enough to go out, there will be plenty of boats doing a trip. You won't have to wait long.

IMO and what I do.

heading out, I stay with power on and motor trimmed right in. IT's hard to say what speed, but if it feels comfortable, that is it. You don't really want to " get air ". I keep the motor trimmed in for about 1 kilometer, then slowly trim out to suit conditions and power on.

coming in, I have the motor trimmed out slightly and keep enough power to sit on top / on the back of a swell all the way through the bar if possible. If not, I power on to catch up to the swell in front. IF the swell is a bit on the " big-gish " side..... try to run at 90 degrees to that swell, in other words sit square to the wave..... bow on top pointing straight.

At all times I make sure I am the only one crossing the bar at that time.

But really, this is a safe bar. In fact on some days I have been there, you blink and you're through, no swell.

Just in case you need them... here are the bait ground marks for livies.

S24 07.715............. E151 54.039
S24 07.703................ E151 54.067
S24 07.691.................. E151 54.097
S24 08.029.............. E151 53.679
S24 08.042 ...................E151 53.688
S24 07.719....................... E151 53.977
S24 08.029 .......................E151 53.678

But you'll have to sound around to find them.

If you choose to do Bill Cortens Bar crossing course, tell him you are an Ausfish member.

Have a read here:- http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/69108-bar-crossing-courses

cheers LP

Gumby_III
12-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Hi all

Thanks again for all the good advice. Crossed the bar a few times but did not go too much further as the swell outside would have made it an uncomfortable trip out and back.

Mark