PDA

View Full Version : bending axle, trojan brakes inside rim and move springs outward. help.

lembo
15-06-2015, 03:07 PM
hey guys
my trailer recently had all new running gear put under it. It was a bit of a rushed emergency job as the ruber torsion type setup blew up half way home (brissie to mackay)
I had to do a rush job in rocky and got whole new roller rocker setup.
anyway I re used my stainless Trojan brakes but my dilemma is the brakes seem to sit a fair way behind back of the wheel, which then makes the ubolts where axle and springs attatch quite a long way behind back of the wheel.
this is adding a lot of leverage with weight on axle.
how do I get the brakes to sit inside or closer to rim ? so I can move suspension right out so leaves sit just behind tyres ? bigger rim?
Il be making new trailer chassis but will make it wider then current one.
my back axle has bent because theres so much leverage.
my current rims are those common 13inch gal ones, id like to move to a bigger possibly landcruiser hub setup and possibly bigger square axles.
heres pics hope they work, one is upside down for some reason.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109569&stc=1http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109568&stc=1

CATchin'Em
15-06-2015, 04:57 PM
How much weight have you got?? I put twin axles alko under my 560 series sharkcat. My hubs sit inside the 14" rims and brakes don't sit out anywhere near that far using Trojan ss calipers. It may be due to rim offset hard to see from those photos

Moejoes
15-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi Lembo,
Some mark ups to help understand from what I can see.
Might be worth just replacing the axles back to original specs as I don't think you can move the wheels in.

Thanks Rob.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109574&stc=1

lembo
15-06-2015, 06:28 PM
yeah I know its hard to tell from pics, I went to trailer place thisarvo and theywere helpful. I think im going to change the whole setup, including wider trailer chassis, new axles, brake rotor/ hub things. about all il keep is the brake calipers and springs.

so the brake rotor part that the caliper clamps onto is super deep and pushes it way out the back of the tyre. I need to get the caliper to sit inside back of rim so that springs can move outward towards tyre.
I think il throw half the crap in the bin and get a heavier axle 45mm square, now rotor/ hub things ( not sure what there called). and bigger rims and tyres.
its an 18ft sharkcat too so you would know weight , maybe 2 tonne including trailer ?
setup is shit, looks like crap. back axle already slighty bowed.
must be weird setup to have the brakes sitting so far behind the tyre.
good to hear your calipers sit inside a 14 inch rim.

scottar
15-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Not sure as never had a torsion set up with brakes but that hub looks awfully deep from the studs to where the disk is compared to a "standard" axle hub.

lembo
15-06-2015, 08:38 PM
its not torsion bar now, it was but is now leaf springs and axle. but it is running same hub brakes tyres and everything that was on torsion bar setup, just re bolted onto the new axle. stupid deep thing. trailer shop couldn't believe it, they recon it was some super old yankie setup. they haven't seen it before.

robothefisho
16-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Trailer shops on the right track. Current axles look like 1000kg jobbies. Those hubs are really old school so you could run brakes with small rims. You could just get new hubs and move all the other stuff out to suit but would still only be 2 ton rated. 45 square axles with ford bearings should be good for up to 2.8ton in a dual axle.

lembo
16-06-2015, 08:02 PM
thanks robothefisho.
yeah I thinks I will just upgrade heaps of stuff, I don't like any of the gear. even the 13 inch tyres and rims piss me off , they look tiny and super far apart.
thanks for your help guys, I think I know what I need to do now. I do long tows so need it right.